Nags Head Restaurants

• seafood Norfolk (now seafood Outer Banks)
    seafood Norfolk (now seafood Outer...
    by b1bob
    Windmill Point
    by grandmaR
    Great Atlantic Grill
    by grandmaR

Most Recent Restaurants in Nags Head

• Hurricane Mo's: AWFUL SERVICE -- DONT PLAN TO HAVE A PARTY HERE

by vlaperle Written May 14, 2012

I was supposed to have my son's rehearsal dinner here but the owner is non-responsive and apparently doesnt care if she gets any business. After a month or so of trying to reach her and setup the dinner she finally confirmed that Friday, May 11th at 6pm would work because it would be after her dinner rush and before the nighttime rush. Mo was to call me back two days later to discuss and finalize the menu...well this never happened. I began calling and leaving messages about two weeks before the event with no return calls. Apparently Mo does not need the business...what business owner do you know that does that and stays in business?? I arrived one week before my son's wedding and we went there that night for dinner hoping to speak with her face to face but no luck...surprise surprise. The server said she would be there the next morning at 11am so I called her and she actually answered the phone to my amazement to only tell me she was busy and would have to call me back. Given her history I was worried she would not call back but she did about 40 min later. The first thing she tells me is how 3 of her employees decided to party the night before and 2 of them called out sick and she was going to have to send the 3rd one home...like I care!! Then I had to remind her when the event was and her response was "Friday nights are a bit tricky". I reminded her that she is the one who set the time. At this point I am furious because the dinner was in 4 days and now you want to back out. I let her know of my concerns with her having staff available and her non-responsive behavior I had endured the past two months. She then offers to recommend someone who does this all the time...I of course was not about to take a recommendation from her. She is the poorest excuse for a business owner. I then began calling around and was saved by the wonderful staff and General Manager at PAMLICO JACK's. They handled our entire party without a problem or any hesitation...communication was great!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND PAMLICO JACKS for any parties or just a nice evening out.

Favorite Dish: NOTHING

• Pamlico Jack: Great Food and Service

by vlaperle Written May 14, 2012

We went to Pamlico Jack's for my sons rehearsal dinner on May 11, 2012 after Hurrican Mo's said they could not handle a large party after confirming over a month ago it was not a problem. I was absolutely amazed at how on such short notice (3 days) they could pull together such a wonderful buffet. We had a private room with a server and bartender who did a great job staying on top of everything. They kept the buffet replenished constantly...never came close to running out of food. The buffet included crab dip, shrimp, spring rolls, lemon chicken, NC barbeque, hamburger sliders, vegetable medley and some other sides....EVERYTHING TASTED GREAT!! I asked all the guests what they thought of the food...everyone was very compliementary of the food, presentation, customer service and the atmosphere of the room. I was so thankful for Emily and Doug being so flexible and immediately putting my mind to rest they could take care of a group of 30 people even though they had another party of 40 on the same night at the same time.

Favorite Dish: All of the seafood was fantastic...the shrimp was not tough or overcooked. I especially loved the crab dip and green fried tomatoes. Another favorite of the guests was the lemon chicken and NC barbeque. I just cannot say anything bad about any of the food because it all was prepared to perfection.

• jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Tortugas' Lie Shellfish Bar & Grill: Good Seafood and Bar

by jmpncsu Written Feb 20, 2012

Tortugas' Lie is a restaurant just across the street (NC-12) from a public beach access point. We visited in the winter when most other places were closed, and perhaps because of that, they were packed! (Although I suspect they're quite busy in peak season as well). I don't really eat seafood, but they had plenty of other stuff for me. My friends who did get the seafood were quite satisfied. The restaurant is very small, so they're not well set up to handle crowds. We had about ten people in our group and was told it would be a 20 or so minute wait. After about a half hour, we gave up and split up to eat at the bar. Despite the wait, the food and drinks were quite good and the staff were friendly. I would consider eating there again next time in Nags Head.

Favorite Dish: I had the BBQ Cluck - a chicken sandwich with a honey-haba├▒ero BBQ sauce, which was very spicy and delicious. I don't really eat seafood so I can't comment on their seafood dishes, but those are the most popular.

• Paulathesurfmom's Profile Photo

Sam & Omie's Restaurant: Just a good place to eat

by Paulathesurfmom Updated Apr 4, 2011

A Locals eatery

Nothing fancy, a place many locals eat and hang out at. The food is great, and unlike most restaurants on OBX, this one is open year around. All the way down the beach south but it's worth the ride, especially when you want to get a real beach feel and it is even right across from the beach. Always busy, always friendly and awesome Bloody Mary's! Oh and the omelets are good too...LOL.

• Surfing

• Sam & Omies: Locals Favorite!

by obxsurfergirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Sam & Omies' motto is "Always believe in something...I believe I'll go fishing" (from Thereau) AND, it's printed on their T-shirts- which you HAVE to HAVE!!!
    Of course, they have the best and freshest seafood imaginable - local fisherman bring it by on a daily basis. The soft shell crabs in the spring (around Mother's Day) are to die for. They always have a "specials board" which is a black chalk board behind the bar - look there for their daily breakfast, lunch and dinner specials. Always great, and famous, is their she-crab soup. You must try it. You will always find a bunch of the locals sitting at the "family table" in the large round corner table opposite the front door. There is always someone sitting there eating or just having a glass of wine - especially around 5 o'clock!
    On Sunday morning everyone is there for their Eggs Benedict! I always try to walk the mile to the restaurant so I can rationize having this fabulous breakfast!!!
    Eat Where the Locals Eat....Sam & Omies.
    PS - Help celebrate their 50th anniversay next year!

Favorite Dish: Eggs Benedict for breakfast, Fresh caught tuna salad for lunch, and any of their fresh fish dinners!

Outback Steakhouse: Outback on the Outer Banks

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outback Steakhouse

This is a regular Outback Steakhouse - I haven't eaten here, but I assume it is like other Outback Steakhouses.

Hours of Operation
    Mon-Thur: 4-10
    Fri: 4-11
    Sat: 3-11
    Sun: 2-9:30

Favorite Dish: Some of the things I like are:

Aussie Cheese Fries
    Aussie chips topped with Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses and bacon, served with spicy ranch dressing

Prime Minister's Prime Rib
    A tempting, 16-ounce cut, 12-ounce cut or 8-ounce cut oven roasted slowly

Ribs On The Barbie
    Mouth-watering baby back ribs, smoked and grilled, with Aussie chips and cinnamon apples

Sydney's Sinful Sundae®
    'Ava go at it. Vanilla ice cream rolled in toasted coconut, covered in chocolate sauce and topped with whipped cream

• HillyCaye's Profile Photo

Penguin Isle: The Finer Side of OBX Dining

by HillyCaye Updated Jul 10, 2007

This is one of those fantastic dining experiences that I'll take with me forever. Try and grab a table by the window, or, if weather permits, outside. The restaurant looks out over the sound side of the OBX, beautiful at sunset. Charming place, great wait staff. Quite an impressive wine list.

Favorite Dish: When I ate at Penguin Isle, the bread they served with our meal was almost as good as the meal itself. Moist slices of peach cornbread. SO delicious. For the entree I decided on the sauteed jumbo lump crabmeat, shrimp & scallops over fettucini. A+ It was served in this delicious cream sauce with baby green beans, mushrooms, corn & tomatoes. To die for.

• HillyCaye's Profile Photo

N.Y. Bagels: Oy! Nothing like a good bagel

by HillyCaye Written Jul 10, 2007

Sometimes you just need a fresh baked bagel & homemade cream cheese. This place has got it.

Favorite Dish: Everyone's got their own favorite bagel toppings. Personally, I start with a poppyseed bagel (or sesame, if the mood strikes) toasted, with lox cream cheese spread, tomato & onion. Their homemade spreads were really spectacular. We took a couple home with us--along with a bag of day old's. A baker's dozen is like, $4! How could you not??

Bad Barracuda's Raw Bar & Grille: Another Alliteration

by grandmaR Updated Feb 1, 2007

Bad Barracudas from car

We never ate here, but I understand the Awful Arthur's folks have carried out the alliteration theme when they named Bad Barracudas.

midget (who is a local in Nag's Head) writes: A little advice about restaurants in tourist areas, if its got a stupid or catchy name it probably sucks. Like A**hole Andys or Barefoot Bernies

Bad Barracuda's is open year-round, serving dinner nightly and lunch on the weekends

We never ate here, because we always went past at a non-meal time, and didn't want to drive all the way down here at mealtime.

Favorite Dish: According to the Restaurant Insider, they have ..any type of seafood you might be craving, plus clam chowder, seafood gumbo, lobster bisque, salads, pastas, and a variety of hearty dinner entrees. If you're looking for bar food and sandwiches, you won't be disappointed:

Various restaurants: Along the road in Nags Head

by grandmaR Updated Feb 1, 2007

Collage of steakhouse and sign

We didn't eat anywhere in Nags Head, because we weren't here at a time we wanted to eat.

Restaurants we saw included:

Outer Banks Steak House
    4913 S. Croatan Hwy Nags Hd
    US 158, MP 14 1/2, Nags Head
    (252) 449-4448

The Dunes Restaurant (second photo)
    7013 S. Croatan Hwy Nags Head
    441-1600

"All dinners are served with our All-You-Can-Eat Salad Bar, Hushpuppies and choice of one of the following: Baked Potato, Baked Sweet Potato, French Fries, Rice or Vegetable Of The Day."

Favorite Dish: Windmill Point Restaurant (3rd photo) This was the best I was able to do for a photograph of this restaurant which always seemed to come up when I didn't have the camera ready. I wanted to get a picture of the windmill. We have not eaten there. I thought it looked too fancy. Their menus on the internet have no prices.

3022 S. Croatan Hwy Nags Head Hwy 158
    252-441-1535
    Located at MP 16.5 on Hwy 158 in Nags Head.

Great Atlantic Grill (4th photo)
    This is another year round place that we didn't get to. It seems to be both a casual place, and one that can be booked for wedding receptions.

2114 S. Croatan Hwy Nags Head, NC 27959
    (252) 480-0035
    Fax: (252) 480-0245
    Milepost 10 on the Big Road in Nags Head

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Owens Seafood Restaurant: Owens Seafood Restaurant

by b1bob Updated Aug 17, 2006

Owen's Seafood Restaurant

What I remember most about my first 3 visits to Nags Head (1975-1977) was the friendly staff, great service, and generous appetisers at Owens Restaurant. We always had a crock of smooth cheddar cheese with plenty of captain's wafers and melba toast. My only fault with Owens is after the parents passed it on to their children, they made it more upmarket, which upped the prices and altered the atmosphere. I noticed this as early as 1981. It just wasn't the same in terms of food, service, or atmosphere. I would like to give it a good rating for old times' sake, but it is trending the opposite direction. Therefore, I can't give it any kind of rating.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Norfolk now called Seafood Outer Banks (consisted of crab and lobster meat sauteed in butter in a cast iron skillet). I enjoyed this as young as 6 years old in adult-sized portions. I never will forget the look on the waitress' face when she came back and found I had eaten the whole thing with room for dessert.

• Prime Only: Best Beef on the outer banks

by haroldg48 Written Jan 29, 2006

The Prime Only is THE BEST fine dining experience on the Outer Banks. If you've ever eaten at Morton's or Ruth's Chris and liked it, you'll love Prime Only. It is locally owned and managed by a couple of great folks and you will come away feeling pampered and full. The service is great, the interior of the restaurant is beautiful, and the food and drink is great.

Warning--This is NOT Outback Steak House! You get what you pay for, and it is definitely not the place to go if on a budget, but if you enjoy great food, great atmosphere and being treated like royalt while the kids are being babysat...this is the place to go!y

Favorite Dish: Rib-eye steak with garlic.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Red Drum Taphouse: Something Good for Everyone! Brewski's Too!

by NC_Ziggy Updated Jul 7, 2005

I happen to think the best review you can afford any establishment is one where you would likely become a "regular" if this restaurant or pub happened to be in your hometown... And so it is for the Red Drum! Can you tell already? I liked it!

The Red Drum is not a large place and so you may encounter a wait depending upon the number in your group, but in my opinion it is worth the wait. Especially if you can be patient enough to wait at the bar and sample the 18 or so micro-brews on tap! Hence, Taphouse. Should you have to wait, there is a game room with pool tables, games, and a relaxing place to sit if you choose not to belly-up to the bar!

We first visited Red Drum for our first excursion for FOOD outside of our abode in Nags Head. This was a Sunday evening and we had to wait about 45 minutes for tables, but we were a group of 12, including the little ones. Having some experience in waiting, I immediately headed for the bar, soon to be joined by Tom and Michael who unlike myself, had familial responsibilities. Still, they displayed amazing speed and skill at freeing themselves and joining me!

I should mention the Red Drum was only 8 or 10 blocks away from our house and on my last evening I walked there and had a great experience with the staff and some wings and some Yuengling's!

Favorite Dish: Green for Green Light! Go on Green! And so it is for my review of the Red Drum Taphouse. I think it deserves more recognition for its food, but there is a certain appeal for good brews, too! Speaking of which, there were some interesting selections and samples were freely provided. I decided to stick with my preferred Yuengling Lager (on tap!) but there was an interesting Raspberry brew that was almost like a sparkling wine and very refreshing... but not for a REAL BEER MAN, right?

My dinner selection was the Seafood Jumbalaya and it was plentiful, spicy and good! Everyone in our crowd seemed to enjoy the food as did I. If you wonder what is available, your humble server will provide a menu for you here... just click and drool! Red Drum Menu!

A Special Note: In this area directions are given by mile markers... The Red Drum is located on the Beach Road between markers 10 & 11. The Beach Road is the one closest to the beach but a couple of blocks off of Hwy. 158. Like many other local establishments, it closes at the end of November and reopens the first of March. Check it Out!

• Aurora907's Profile Photo

Dirty Dick's Crab House: Great Carry Out

by Aurora907 Written Dec 15, 2004

A great eat-in option, especially when you rent a house & want to eat 'at home,' is to stop by Dirty Dick's Crab House and pick up an order or 2. It's quick and decently priced. They also have a selection of souvenir t-shirts, boxers, and the like available for purchase.

WARNING: If your mom is anything like mine, and EVEN if you're in your 30's, you may NOT be able to wear your new t-shirt in her presence. Go find out why!!! :)

Favorite Dish: Crab, of course!

• Adventure Travel

• Aurora907's Profile Photo

Bad Barracudas: Great seafood...Cute waiters!

by Aurora907 Written Dec 15, 2004

What a great place to go for dinner! It had a bright friendly ambiance about it and the waitstaff were wonderful! You should definitely have drinks here if you've had a meal elsewhere!!!

Favorite Dish: Any of the Surf n Turf meals!!!

Instant Answers: Nags Head

Comments

Nags Head Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nags Head restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nags Head sightseeing.