Nags Head Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Nags Head

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

Drive

by tpangelinan Written Nov 7, 2003

Make sure you have lots of room for your stuff. And a 4 wheel drive is a good idea, some of the homes are beach access only up in Corolla NC which is on the same peninsula. Bike are great to have down here, there is alway some place to bike to with a great view.

Our truck
    • Cycling
    • Beaches

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Herbert Bonner Bridge

by b1bob Updated Jan 27, 2009

Just south of Nags Head proper is the Herbert Bonner Bridge, named after a congressman who served northeastern North Carolina from 1940-1965. Shortly after a congressman dies, it is customary to name a piece of infrastructure (be it a post office or a bridge) for the departed member. The Bonner bridge traverses Oregon Inlet to Hatteras Island. Compared to other bridges I've seen, it's really nothing special, but when I was a kid in the 1970s, it was the biggest bridge I had seen through to that point and I loved the hump in the middle to allow passage to taller ships.

Herbert Bonner bridge

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Mileposts

by b1bob Updated Jun 14, 2003

In the Outer Banks of North Carolina, from the Wright Memorial Bridge in Kitty Hawk through to the Manteo Causeway in Nags Head, there are two major north-south highways Virginia Dare trail commonly called the Beach Road and Croatan Highway commonly called the Bypass (with lots of side streets). Everything in this 18 mile (30 km.) stretch, is referenced by milepost. It is a simple but effective way of referencing the location of a point of interest. In the photo is milepost 16 (Nags Head) going north on the bypass. Mileposts 1-6 are in Kitty Hawk, 7-12 are in Kill Devil Hills, and 13-18 are in Nags Head.

milepost 16 going north on the bypass

• hersheybar's Profile Photo

Take your bike along! It's...

by hersheybar Written Aug 24, 2002

Take your bike along! It's flat at the beach less you are trying to climb the sand dunes at Jockey's Ridge. The beach access road has a bike lane that you can share with walkers, joggers and inline skaters.

• Lady Jane's Taxi

by picyapoisn Written Jun 18, 2012

While my husband and I were visiting Nags Head, we "experienced" a tropical storm. We were out shopping and it all happened so quickly. The rain just kept coming harder and harder. We left the Christmas Mouse store at mile post 10.5 on the Bypass Rd. Our accommodations were located at mile post 13 on the Beach Rd. The road was flooded and we were driving a Prius. Just before making it to our driveway, the Hybrid System and Engine lights went on, not good. The next morning, I went to check on the car. There was about 2 inches of water on the floor of the back seats. I got rid of the water, opened all the doors and hood so it could dry out. Now what? How do you get around Nags Head without a car?

I remembered hearing about Lady Jane Taxi and called 252-256-2276. Lady Jane's operates 24/7 and serves the communities from Duck down to Manteo. The service was great and the drivers were all pleasant. The fleet consist of 5 vehicles, so there was rarely a long wait. The busiest time was when the bars closed up for the night and everyone wanted a taxi. The area is tough on drunk driving so calling a taxi is your best option anyway if you want to party hearty. Lady Jane's Taxi saved our vacation. It didn't matter if I wanted to go shopping, get my hair done, eat at one of the many restaurants or enjoy the nightlife. Lady Jane Taxi was just a phone call away. By the way, I learned that the fares are regulated by local government.

Picture is from Lady Jane
    • Beaches
    • Hang Gliding

Instant Answers: Nags Head

Comments

Nags Head Transportation

Reviews and photos of Nags Head transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nags Head sightseeing.