Ocracoke Island Favorites

• Shihar's Profile Photo

Legless Louie the Laughing Gull

by Shihar Updated Apr 29, 2006

Legless Louie on the left

Favorite thing: Before going on this trip, I did some research on VT (of course). One VTer I go to for great tips is NC_Ziggy's travel pages. On his Ocracoke pages he mentions his encounter with a legless gull on the ferry to Ocracoke Island. Being a birder, I was intrigued but never thought I would see the legless wonder. What are the chances! BUT.... what do ya know.. I DID see him. He's still alive and well!!
    :) :)

• National/State Park

• Waterborne Bliss

by phastphreddy Written Aug 4, 2005

Calm Waters on a Beautiful Day

Fondest memory: I know that my dad will never be the poster boy for outdoor sports, but I think this picture of him really sums up a kayaking trip we took. We paddled out of the harbor to some marshy cuts just south of the town. The weather was cool (for June, which means it’s still quite a bit warmer than you keep it in your house), and there were no bugs. That was amazing. Paddling around in shallow water, creeping up on birds, trying to get a photo, a blue sky, a perfect day, and no damned mosquitoes or green head flies!

Who knows if I could ever have another trip like this? I know what the bugs can be like on this island, not to mention what the sun can do to you if you’re not careful. Maybe it’s like this often? More likely I just caught it on the perfect day, but you won’t hear me complaining about it.

• Kayaking

Instant Answers: Ocracoke Island

Comments

Ocracoke Island Favorites

Reviews and photos of Ocracoke Island favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ocracoke Island sightseeing.

View all Ocracoke Island hotels