Ocracoke Island Restaurants

Just look for this sign!
    by JillPotter
  • You won't regret your stop at Howard's Pub!
    You won't regret your stop at Howard's...
    by JillPotter
  • Restaurants
    by xdescendx

Most Recent Restaurants in Ocracoke Island

• JillPotter's Profile Photo

Howard's Pub: You Have to go by the Pub!

by JillPotter Updated Oct 8, 2008
    Just look for this sign!

This is a must go to place when you are on Ocracoke. There is something for everyone. You can get a great burger, fresh fish and seafood, fantastic chicken and steak meals, and everything in between. Howard's is open all year long and there is always a smile waiting for you there. The atmosphere is just right-you can go in as casual or dressed up as you want and you will feel right at home. Sports fans will love their decor too!
    There has not been a single time I've gone to Ocracoke without going to Howard's...I even had my "reception" there after my September '08 wedding. We were a small party but they can accomodate any crowd.
    Did I mention the screened in porches and upper deck?...or the extensive beer list?
    Fantastic Place!

Favorite Dish: I LOVE the grilled and blackened tuna...but the crab cakes are hard to resist also.

• Beer Tasting

• Captain Ben's Restaurant: Fresh Seafood at it's finest !

by initfrfn Written Sep 25, 2008

Great fresh seafood. Nice atmosphere, great and quick service. We enjoyed dinner here twice during our stay in Ocracoke. Even the sides were fantastic. The baked potato was creamy as though it was mashed and even the limas were tasty. Nice variety of warm rolls and hush puppies. Their clear broth clam chowder was a delight.

Favorite Dish: Baked Mahi Mahi stuffed with crabmeat. Moist and flakey and the crabmeat had huge lumps of crabmeat in it.

• Fishing

• Ocracoke Pizza Company: The Best Pizza anywhere

by MimiZepp Updated Aug 1, 2008

Best Pizza I've ever eaten. The ingredients are fresh and the crust comes two ways, thin & crusty. Hubby and I plowed thru a 16" Vegetarian and just could not believe how great it was. You can call in and pick up or have it delivered. Sorry no dining in but what does it matter!

Favorite Dish: Vegetarian Pizza

• NCCruiseGurl's Profile Photo

Pony Island Restaurant: Great Pony Potatoes

by NCCruiseGurl Written Oct 17, 2006

Favorite Dish: Pony Potatoes are named after the ponies of Ocracoke, now penned at the northern end of the island. Vince has named his specialty dish after these equine animals. They are hash browns topped with salsa, melted cheddar cheese and sour cream. Man, are they good! Best served at breakfast with eggs.

The restaurant is opened for breakfast and lunch until 1:00 or 2:00 PM each day during the season. Not affilated with the Pony Island Motel, but right next door.

• NCCruiseGurl's Profile Photo

The Pelican Restaurant: If You Love Shrimp

by NCCruiseGurl Written Oct 16, 2006

Every afternoon between 3:00-5:00 PM you can get 15 cent shrimp at the Pelican. Eat in the courtyard with umbrellas over each table, you order your shrimp in counts of 25. A cool beer is just great since the shrimp are seasoned with Old Bay. In cooler weather, the bar is available for chowing down.

• Fishing

Ocracoke Coffee: Great Bagels

by Shihar Updated Apr 11, 2006

Ocracoke Coffee

Every morning we had breakfast at this little coffeehouse. The atmosphere is typical of a usual coffeehouse and there are cute shirts and mugs to buy as well.

I ate: everything bagel, veggie cream cheese, soy milk iced chai (yum)
    Hubby ate: same, fruit smoothie

Jason's: Nothing Fancy...

by Shihar Written Apr 11, 2006

Since we visited during the off season, not all the resturants were open. We had lunch at Jason's one afternoon and it wasn't bad. It is a casual enviroment with typical American food. Our waitress was new, so service was average to be expected.

I ate: Hippie chick sandwich (veggie sandwich), iced tea
    Hubby ate: Grilled flounder sandwich and fries,

Thai Moon: Great Thai food

by Shihar Written Apr 10, 2006

This is a carry-out only resturant.There are no places to sit and eat. We waited for the food longer than expected but it was worth the wait. The food was really tasty. You can order various degrees of spicyness-

I ate: veggie spring rolls, tofu pad thai(medium)
    Hubby ate: Beef curry (american hot )

Cafe Atlantic: Good Food

by Shihar Updated Apr 10, 2006

Since as I mentioned in the previous tip, 2 different waitress from Howard's pub informed us of the great food at this resturant so we decided to give it a try. The food was good, but my meal was nothing extraordinary. Hubby's said his meal was terrific.

I ate: salad, bread,veggie pasta, reisling wine
    Hubby ate: salad, parmesean crusted Drum fish with asparagus and baked potato.

Favorite Dish: Sour cream cheescake with fresh strawberries

Howard's Pub: Good Pub

by Shihar Written Apr 9, 2006

We ate at this pub twice! The food was pretty good... and the beer selection was very impressive.

Husband ate: Steamed oysters, Steamed Shrimp and great Crabcakes (sweet sauce on top)

I ate: PETA veggie burger, mozzarella sticks. Drinks- Dizzy Izzy ( I recommend) and Pink Floyd (I wouldn't recommend). Both drinks were chamangne type concotions.

It seemed pretty odd because the 2 different waitresses we had, recommended to eat at the Cafe Atlantic next store.They both said how great the food, since this advice was unsolicited we wondered if the two resturants had the same owner.

Favorite Dish: Dizzy Izzy

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

• The Back Porch: Upscale Ocracoke

by phastphreddy Written Jul 30, 2005

Back Porch Restaurant

The Back Porch is the most upscale restaurant that I’ve been to on the island. This is the place that I would take a date to for a romantic evening out. They have the nice menu, the wine list, and the atmosphere. I couldn’t call it pretentious, especially after living in DC, but I will say it’s what passes for pretentious on Ocracoke Island.

Favorite Dish: The steak au poivre was really good here.

• Howard's Pub: An Ocracoke Icon

by phastphreddy Written Jul 29, 2005

Howard's Pub

Howard’s Pub is where it all seems to happen. This seems to be the epicenter of nightlife on the island. They’ve got a large main seating area, a screened in porch, a rooftop deck, and heaven only knows what else (I never did try to explore the hole place). It’s all decorated with out of town license plates, college pennants, fire department patches, and those sorts of things. They also have the mandatory t-shirts. They’re open till 2am and I saw some live music there in the middle of the week in June.

The food here is pretty good, if somewhat standard. They’ve got sandwiches, burgers, pizza, seafood, etc. I had conch fritters and a decent burger the last time I was there.

Oh, they also have a huge beer list. Tons of bottles and a *** load of taps.

Favorite Dish: The burgers were good.

• The Flying Mellon Cafe: Good Breakfast

by phastphreddy Written Jul 29, 2005

The Flying Melon Cafe

This isn’t a bad little restaurant and it has the distinct advantage of being open for breakfast. I remember that the menu looked pretty good, and I had trouble deciding what to get. My dad had some old standard but I got an overstuffed egg casserole that was really good (though more than I could eat).

I have no clue what they’re like for any other meal, though from my breakfast experience, I would definitely be willing to give them a try.

Favorite Dish: The breakfast casserole had sausage and onions and all kinds of goodies inside it (think ultimate omelet).

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

The Flying Melon Cafe: Good Food for a Starving Brood!

by NC_Ziggy Written Jun 28, 2005

As we arrived around 10 am and hungry as wolves, we tried several places that did not open until 11. Luckily, we came upon The Flying Melon that opened at 9am and served both breakfast, lunch, or brunch!

I had the Breakfast Casserole which consisted of eggs, sausage, and new potatoes lightly baked and pretty dog-gone good! Of course, at this point, the butt-end of a rag-doll would probably have been tasty too!

But, I will say that the menu was varied and all seemed to enjoy the meal. I would recommend it if you are in the area, and our Scottish waitress was very nice and friendly!

• Toja's Profile Photo

Jolly Roger: Ducks wait under the table - no waste ;-)

by Toja Updated May 22, 2005

a minute before the storm

Actually in the menu there was quite a lot of everything, so if you don't like fish, but love eating outdoors on the deck overlooking the bay, just go for it, you may take a salad, sandwich, burger or even something Mexican. And I wasn't kidding about the ducks, there are a few friendly ducks - merlots, patrolling the area all the time and waiting for some pieces from your table :-)

Favorite Dish: My flounder was delicious

Instant Answers: Ocracoke Island

Comments

Ocracoke Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ocracoke Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ocracoke Island sightseeing.

View all Ocracoke Island hotels