Ocracoke Island Tourist Traps

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Ocracoke Island

• Shihar's Profile Photo

All things Blackbeard!

by Shihar Updated Apr 29, 2006

If you had no idea that the pirate Blackbeard hung out here on Ocracoke, you will definately be educated by the overabundance of Blackbeard references throughout the island. There is even an entire museum dedicated to him.

Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard, was a privateer that turned to piracy after the Queen Ann's war in 1713. He was a savage butcher in battle, and showed no mercy as he stole from and murdered these unfortunate to cross his path.

After taking 25 stab wounds and 5 bullets in battle, Blackbeard died. His head was taken as trophy and hung on the bow of the seaman that killed him. Legend has it that his body swam around the ship several times before sinking into the channel now known as Teach's Hole.

• NC_Ziggy's Profile Photo

Teach's Hole... Another Hole comes to mind...

by NC_Ziggy Written Jun 28, 2005

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding on the part of someone in our group, but we believed this to be the actual location of Teach's Hole and so we arrived ready for a dose of historical import. However, it was a small tourist place that sold anything and everything piratey! Well, I did give it a look and did pick up a few postcards (which I've yet to send to certain VT'ers... Ooops!) but everything mostly was pure tourist jibberish.

I did kind of have my eye on a T-Shirt that said, "I'm here for your Booty!" but, I thought better of it... AARRRRRRRRGH!

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Ocracoke Island

Comments

Ocracoke Island Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Ocracoke Island tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ocracoke Island sightseeing.

View all Ocracoke Island hotels