Roanoke Island Restaurants

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Darrell's Restaurant: Darrell's Restaurant

by b1bob Updated Aug 19, 2006

Darrell's

The air of a small family-owned restaurant. The atmosphere is no different from a family diner 100 miles (170 km.) inland. What it lacks in decor, it more than compensates in terms of good food and friendly service. When we would come in the 1980s, Daddy was a member of the Rotary Club. He made up his absence from the one at home by attending the one in Manteo. While he did that, Mama, my brother, and I would eat here before going to the Christmas Shop nextdoor, which is sadly defunct as of November, 2005. I hope the closure of the Christmas Shop won't have many ill effects on Darrell's.

Favorite Dish: I would always get the scallop and popcorn shrimp combination. Popcorn shrimp, incidentally, are just little-bitty fried shrimp.

• b1bob's Profile Photo

Fisherman's Wharf: Fisherman's Wharf

by b1bob Updated Aug 19, 2006

view from Fisherman's Wharf restaurant

Really on a fisherman's wharf at the end of US 345. From the windows of the restaurant, you can see the fresh seafood being offloaded from the boats. Friends and neighbours, it doesn't get much fresher than that. Many times, restaurants blessed with such a great view as the Wanchese Harbour charge extra for that, but the Fisherman's Wharf offers great food for not a cheap, but a reasonable price. Both Luc and Fernando have joined my family and me here and they were as impressed as we were.

REMEMBER: It's closed Sundays

Favorite Dish: I have had many things here over the years (since my family and I started coming in 1981). For example, I have had the crab cake, lobster tail, and fried scallops. I had them all with baked potato and a salad.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Full Moon Cafe: Downtown

by grandmaR Updated Jul 26, 2006

Restaurant outside

We ate lunch at a place called the Full Moon Cafe.

The website says:
    An Amalgam of Cuisines from around the World.
    Sharon Enoch and Paul Charron opened The Full Moon Cafe in the fall of 1995. The restaurant was an instant success with both locals and tourists. The menu, an amalgam of cuisines from around the world, is arguably the most unusual on The Outer Banks. On any given day, Full Moon customers dine on Hungarian Mushroom Soup, Baked Brie with Almonds and Apples, Baked Rockfish Fresh from the Roanoke Sound, Cuban Black Beans and Rice, and much, much more. The food is diverse, intriguing, delicious, incredibly fresh, and never, ever boring.

Favorite Dish: Bob had the Hunter Sandwich and I had the Hunter Wrap. This was roast beef and cheese with onions and horseradish. I had root beer and a chocolate tort for dessert and the basic price before tip was $22.11.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Darrell's Seafood Restaurant: Try the Sunshine Cake

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

Yummy Sunshine Cake

Not all the restaurants were open this time of year, but this one was. It was a very friendly and inexpensive place and the food was good.

They introduced me to Carolina clam chowder. It was completely different from any that I've had before. It wasn't milk based like New England style, nor was it tomato based like NY style. It was a clear broth with potato cubes, bacon and clams in it.

Favorite Dish: Bob had she crab soup which was really thick, and a small salad. I had a cup of Dare County clam chowder, a grilled cheese sandwich and spiced apples. Then I had their sunshine cake for dessert. The sunshine cake icing tasted just like orange sherbet, and it had miniature white chocolate drops pebbled into the outside of the icing. This cost $24.09 plus a $4 tip.

Instant Answers: Roanoke Island

Comments

Roanoke Island Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Roanoke Island restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Roanoke Island sightseeing.

View all Roanoke Island hotels