Scotland Neck Travel Guide

Scotland Neck Things to Do

• jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Sylvan Heights Bird Park

by jmpncsu Written Jan 23, 2015

We recently paid a visit to Sylvan Heights Bird Park after getting discounted admission from Groupon/Living Social and had a really good time. It's basically a zoo with just birds, more than 200 species in all. My favorite exhibit was the Landing Zone. You can purchase seeds sticks or food pellets and feed the birds in here. The budgerigar parakeets love the seeds sticks and will land on your hands to eat the seeds. Sometimes they'll even fight over who gets the seeds! There are also a number of American flamingos in the exhibit who will eat the pellets. This was my first time feeding flamingos and they are really interesting birds. They have what look like rows of tiny little teeth on their beaks, though I think they're for straining food out of shallow water, not biting. They also don't like dry food, so will knock the food out of your hand or spit water in your hand to moisten the pellets. Most of the rest of the exhibits are arranged by continent - North American birds, South American birds, etc. We visited in the winter and it was somewhat cold, so many of the warm weather birds were off exhibit. But we still got to see quite a few that were still on exhibit. Some of my favorites were the demoiselle cranes, Eurasian eagle-owls, burrowing owls, toco toucan, and the kookaburras. At first the kookaburras didn't seem to be in a singing mood. So we looked up their sounds on a phone and played it and immediately they flew together and started singing their little hearts out. It was really cute! We had a really good time here and will likely visit again, probably in the spring when more of the birds will be on exhibit.

Feeding a Flamingo Feeding the Budgerigar Parakeets Demoiselle Crane Eurasian Eagle-Owls Indian Blue Peacock
    • Photography
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Zoo

Scotland Neck Hotels

Scotland Neck Restaurants

• jmpncsu's Profile Photo

La Casetta: Italian in Scotland Neck

by jmpncsu Updated Jan 23, 2015

We stopped for lunch at La Casetta after visiting the Sylvan Heights Bird Park. This restaurant is about the only alternative to fast food in Scotland Neck, so we figured we'd give it a try. Overall, it's not a bad restaurant. The service was very good - our waitress was very attentive and friendly, despite being understaffed and the manager/owner came by to check on us several times. My wife and I both had cheese steak subs and they were pretty good - not the best I've ever had, but not bad either. We also had their homemade chips for an appetizer and these were very good. If we visited again, we'd probably eat here again. If this restaurant were in a bigger town with more alternatives, I probably would rate it a 3, but since the only alternative in Scotland Neck is fast food, I gave it a 4.

Instant Answers: Scotland Neck

Comments

Scotland Neck Travel Guide
Map of Scotland Neck