Alliance Restaurants

Quite a nice looking little restaurant
    A bit deserted at 3:50 PM on a Wednesday
    Fiesta Lime Chicken & a Sam Adams beer

Most Recent Restaurants in Alliance

Applebee's: A very late lunch

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 1, 2008

I had flown out of Regina, Saskatchewan at 6 AM (which is 8 AM in Ohio) and only grabbed a mango yoghurt drink and an apple as I changed flights in Minnesapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. Arriving at 1:15 PM in Cleveland, I decided to just get my rental car sorted and then clear out of the congested area around the airport by hitting the road for Alliance - since I don't really care that much for big cities anyway. As a result, by the time my hour and a half drive was completed and I had checked into my hotel, I was starting to get hungry! As it happened, I noticed a pleasant looking Applebee's restaurant only a few hundred feet away from the hotel, so decided to give it a try. Little did I know that (according to their web-site) "with more than 1,900 restaurants in 49 states, Applebee’s is the world’s largest casual dining brand. Founded in 1980 in Atlanta, Georgia by Bill and T.J. Palmer, Applebee’s has always been dedicated to full service, consistently good food, reasonable prices and quality service in a neighborhood setting."

Favorite Dish: I had previously been invited out for an evening meal with some of the guys I would be meeting with on this business trip, so decided to just deal with my hunger pangs without going overboard this late in a not very busy afternoon (2nd photo)! The dish that caught my eye (3rd photo) was their $10 Fiesta Lime Chicken dish, consisting of "grilled chicken drizzled with zesty lime sauce, topped with Mexi-ranch and Jack-cheddar sauces and served with rice and pico de gallo", whatever that is! I figured a nice brown Sam Adams beer from New England would compliment it nicely and I thoroughly enjoyed my little feast, which came to US$17 with a tip. I think they lived up to their above motto!

Quite a nice looking little restaurant A bit deserted at 3:50 PM on a Wednesday Fiesta Lime Chicken & a Sam Adams beer

Grinders, Above & Beyond: Seemed to be a local favourite

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 1, 2008

On my only lunch day at the MTC Transformers plant, one of the guys took me on the short drive into downtown Louisville, just up the hill from the railway tracks on Main Street (I guess the transformer plant is located beside the tracks so they could handle shipments of large and heavy transformers). This was another restaurant chain I had never heard of before, but it seemed to be doing a great lunchtime business. No wonder I had never heard of it because, according to their website, Grinders is "a casual family restaurant and local favorite since 1976 with six locations featuring a variety of items including eastern style grinders, burgers, dinners, flatbreads, and appetizers. Home made soups and desserts a specialty." By the way, a 'grinder' is just a submarine sandwich by another name - it is a term used in parts of New England, the US mid-west and southern California.

Favorite Dish: I do not normally eat a whole lot at lunchtime, so kept my order down to a 'small' Reuben sandwich consisting of corn beef with saurkraut and Swiss cheese on a rye bun with Russian dressing (US$7) accompanied by a glass of water. It was just perfect for my appetite! My companion ordered something a bit more substantial and partway through the meal said that it was quite filling. I was quite happy with both the quality of my food and the service as we headed back to the plant for an afternoon of work!

Grinders in Louisville, Ohio

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Texas Roadhouse: This place was hopping!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Jul 1, 2008

Luckily for me, the guys I was meeting that night did not want to eat until about 7:30 PM, so that gave me a chance to digest my earlier meal at Applebee's! They were locals and suggested that Texas Roadhouse would be a great spot for some steak, so I said it sounded fine to me. The place was really hopping when we arrived, with lots of full booths in the darkened atmosphere and a good buzz permeating the air. The three of us took a booth near the back and, while we waited for the fourth guy, they served us up some cold beers and a bucket of roasted peanuts in the shell to snack on while we got to know each other.

Favorite Dish: When it was finally time to eat, I decided to keep it relatively small and simple with a Sirloin Kebab, consisting of marinated sirloin with onion, mushroom, tomatoe, red pepper and green pepper served on a bed of seasoned rice and accompanied by a garden salad ($10). I decided to switch to a glass of Merlot for this little feast while the other guys mostly went with grilled steaks of one sort or the other. Although I was treated to this meal by my hosts, the prices at Texas Roadhouse looked quite reasonable and I would give them another go if given the chance.

Deserted at noon

Instant Answers: Alliance

Comments

Alliance Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Alliance restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Alliance sightseeing.