Cincinnati Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Cincinnati

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Lookout Joe: Now THIS is Coffee!

by FatesWarn Written Feb 26, 2014

When you get out of the car, you can smell the beans roasting; I can't quite describe it - my first thought before I realized what I was smelling was that there was sugar burning somewhere.

The hum of the roaster inside the shop quickly calmed my newborn 2nd cousin like a magical caffeinated white noise machine. The staff was very excited to see him and his parents, but they also showed the same familiarity with many of their patrons.

I had a Moka Java coffee and it was fresh and flavorful. I also had one of their chocolate chip cookies, which was as good as my own. Along with cookies, they have a nice selection of breakfast pastries - they also have sandwiches for brunch/lunch.

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Moerlein Lager House: Awesome Food and Fantastic Views

by FatesWarn Written Feb 26, 2014

Visited for Sunday Brunch in February - no crowd at all at 11:30am - most diners didn't start arriving until close to 1pm. The menu is vast enough to force a difficult choice, but not so big you get lost.
    Mostly American fare, including nice flatbread and burger selections. I went with the Short Rib Grilled Cheese paired with a tasty porter. I also highly recommend the OTR, which is the beer that caused me to beg my cousin to take me here :-)
    Cousin's husband had the Moer Burger with pastrami, bacon, and egg on it - he determined that while it was very tasty, one should be required to pass a physical before eating it.

The staff is super friendly and very helpful with beer selections.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Deep India: Maybe the Best Indian in the Midwest

by bocmaxima Written Feb 21, 2014

When Indian food is done well, it can be really divine. When it's done poorly, you feel a little ripped off and usually a bit sick.
    Deep India is one of the better Indian restaurants I've tried in the Midwest. It's the ultimate hole in the wall: a tiny cafe off a busy street where dishes are served in styrofoam containers and you can watch each item being cooked across the counter. Dishes run around $9-12 and all include rice and naan. The portions are enormous. Leftovers are expected.
    You can control the spice level, 1 to 5, and they're very serious about it. Don't get a 4 or 5 unless you can actually handle very spicy food.
    If you like Indian food, then this is a good destination.

Favorite Dish: Butter chicken

• Tony's of Cincinnati: Simply The Best!

by ptack Written Jun 27, 2012

The restaurant is a classic American steakhouse with all prime steaks. From the moment you walk in everything is all about you and the staff is fantastic. There is a live jazz trio who call themselves "Tony's Hit Men". The restaurant has a great energy level, not sleepy like some of those Chicago style steakhouses.

Favorite Dish: The bone in strip is the best steak I have every had anywhere, it is a little more expensive then the other strip on the menu, but man is it worth it! The steak comes with a salad and potato, the fact that I didn't have to buy everything individually made this all the better. Another person I was with had the seabass; I am not a fish fan but man did that look good!

• Business Travel

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

5 Guys Burgers & Fries: I'd Rather just Make a Burger at Home!

by BeatChick Written Nov 25, 2011

Our visit started out great; the cashier Steven R. was nice & professional. However, the attitude of the manager, Dré (at least he claimed he was the manager - I cannot believe this guy is a manager of anything), was absolutely execrable.

I was at the counter waiting for our food. He'd already taken up fries & had just wrapped our sandwiches but instead of finishing up our order he starting to wrap another order. I mentioned that we only needed our fries & we'd be set. So he started exclaiming loudly "This lady says she's in a hurry! This lady says she's in a hurry!" When he handed me my order, I said, "I never said I was in a hurry, just that we needed our fries and we'd be set." He said he understood but that he was just telling "the guys" around him that I was in a hurry. I fail to see why he needed to do that since they weren't working on my order???

Was so upset by his attitude & his eagerness to humiliate me in front of his coworkers & the restaurant (he was very loud) so I decided I'd complain. I noted the info on one of the wall posters for complaints. When I went to the cashier (Steven R again) to get this guy's name, "Dré" rushed to the front, told me HE was the manager and that his name was Dré. After I confirmed the spelling, I told him he ruined my visit to the point I didn't even eat the fries & threw them away. He "I understand, ma'am", then wheeled about without an apology.

I have a difficult time believing a manager would allow one of his employees to treat customers in this way, much less allow himself to do this. As he was walking away, I announced to his retreating form that we wouldn't be back. No response. Is it really possible this guy is the manager? He is stocky, about 5' 10" in height.

Also of mention is that the table was dirty & we had to brush off the crumbs before we sat down. In addition to that, my burger had 2 tomatoes (I ordered extra tomato); my son who did not order extra had the same amount of tomatoes. Also, the bread was underdone (doughy).

Favorite Dish: I like the fact that you can get green peppers on the burgers. Nice, inventive touch.

• Singles

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

Sitwell's: great vegan/veggie food

by Tom_In_Madison Written Sep 20, 2011

Funky rather large vegan/veggie restaurant on Ludlow St, about a 45 minute walk from downtown. A skyline chili is a block away, but I opted for this one. Had the vegan chili, wasn't a big bowl but was very filling and tasty. Décor is very eclectic, waitress was very nice.

• Maria250's Profile Photo

White Castle: Small seized and very tasty

by Maria250 Updated Aug 7, 2011
    White Castle

White Castles is a fast food chain one can find in the south of the states mostly. It's probably not for those that can't stand convenient food. I personally like it convenient, and I like it fast, also I like the small seized, very tasty portion of Ham Burgers that White Castles offer. White Castles ambience is quiet and calm compared to the hectic of other chain restaurants. They are located in very lovely white houses. Favorite are simply Ham Burger. They are small and plain, absolutely fresh and juicy. Since they are so small sized they are usually sold in bags with 10 pieces.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Myra's Dionysis: International Mostly Vegetarian

by atufft Written May 31, 2011
    Myra's Dionysus at Night

Although this restaurant features dishes inspired by mostly Greek cuisine, this is Cincinnati hip vegetarian at it's best. Located within the Clifton Heights District, this is a must for those who want to know Cincinnati. There is a great list of soups, appetizers, a decent wine and beer list, and a few good meat dishes. I can't even recall what I ordered, but it was really great. Everything is very carefully prepared in the kitchen, and the service is outstanding.

Rock Bottom Brewery: For a Chain Resto, It's not Bad

Blue Corn Tortilla Chicken Enchiladas, Beans, Rice

Rock Bottom Brewery, a chain resto known for it's American fare (steaks, burgers, ribs, chicken pot pie, wings, nachos) and microbrewed beers, its not a bad choice for low-cost dining in downtown Cincinnati. Situated on Fountain Square, its patio has great views of everything that's happening in the hub of the city.

Check out their on-line menus; they have all the prices on-line. Also, if you're a beer lover, you might want to try their flight of beers with samples that range from light to dark. Mmmmmm.

Also, ask for Fred to be your server! He's one of my friends and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Plus you're guaranteed great service. Ask him how his baby is doing and tell him Mary from UC sent you. How do I know Fred so well? He also works at my FAVORITE Starbuck's!

Favorite Dish: I like the Smoked Chicken Enchiladas in the blue corn tortillas served with Red Ale Rice & Black Beans - why? because enchiladas are my favorite!

Photos: June 1, 2008

• Business Travel

• jennwerner's Profile Photo

The Charthouse: Great Atmosphere Great Food

by jennwerner Updated Apr 4, 2011

View from the table 1

Amazing. Sums this place up. The service, the free valet parking, the atmosphere, the food, and yes the view.
    This was for my Hubby's 29th birthday celebration. We started off with drinks I had the best appletini ever and then we ordered calamari with sweet thai sauce and it was perfect. The server was very nice knowledgeable and right on que. For meals OMG the Filet was the most perfectly seasoned filet ever. I had my filet with shrimp and he had his with Lobster tail. We had the garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus with bread crumbs. Both side dishes were excellent choices. This place is a great place to go if you are celebrating something. Be sure and make a reservation. This place is all about great food great wine and great service. Our pics are of the view from the table...

The Terrace Café: Wonderful Dining at Cincinnati Art Museum

Terrace Caf��'s Chicken Salad

One of the best things about visiting CAM is dining on light fare while overlooking the gardens (see last 3 photos for views of the garden - lovely!).

I love their chicken salad (1st photo) served up not on bread but alongside it. Pair that with a chilled glass of white wine and you're set.

General Admission is FREE!

Photos: September 2005

Favorite Dish: Terrace Chicken Salad Sandwich - $8.75
    Glass of Bollini white wine - $4.00

• Museum Visits

• dtownkitty's Profile Photo

Hamburger Mary's: Good Burgers and a Little Extra

by dtownkitty Updated Apr 4, 2011

Hamburger Mary's serves hamburgers! 1/2 lb hamburgers of all kinds of varieties and you can substitute regular old hamburger for chicken breast, turkeyburger or veggieburger. Yes, they are very, very good. The important thing is the atmosphere, though. The inside is decorated in a mix of retro kitsch and just plain kitsch. New Kids On The Block, Maddona and Britney are on the walls, superhero's hang from the ceiling, and the Spice Girls serenade you from the speakers. The only thing missing is David Hasselhoff appearing as a waiter. But who needs David when they have drag queens? (make a reservation for that) I know what you GUYS are thinking - " 1/2 lb hamburgers? Drag Queens? Oh, the turmoil"! Just go get a good burger and have fun!

They serve food til midnight and the bar area is open til 2:30

PS Leave your Dorothy outfit at home....You wouldn't want to start a panic would you?

Favorite Dish: Oh la la! The Big Kahuna with teriyaki is yummy! Check out their website for their menu and upcoming events.

• Theme Park Trips
    • Gay and Lesbian

The White House Inn: The White House Inn

White House Inn

Just 2 minutes down the road from me in conservative West Chester is the very cozy, warm traditional American restaurant, The White House Inn, set in a 1950s farmhouse. In the bar area is a huge fireplace & flagged stones on the floor. There are seven separate dining areas each with a different feel; the waitress will have no problem sitting you in an area you've never dined in before.

A great place to hold your wedding, they have a lovely gazebo out back. You may reserve one of the dining areas specifically for your wedding party to prepare before & for the reception afterwards.

Favorite Dish: Onion Soup
    Shrimp Cocktail
    Baked Brie & Raspberry (my favorite!)
    Boarding House Meat Pie (Shepherd's Pie)
    Raspberry Trifle (mmmm)

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

El Rancho Grande

by frankcanfly Updated Apr 4, 2011

We followed 'BeatChick's' advice and tried a meal here.

This is the kind of Mexican Restaurant that I'm used to. It's not too fancy, it's family style, and they serve great food.

Favorite Dish: We had Grilled Tilapia and Burritos with Churaso & Chicken. The tortilla chips came out warm and delicious.

Beware the pitcher of Margarita's!!! Even the small pitcher will knock you on your A$%!

JeanRo Bistro: Jean Robert's Cheaper Fare in Cincy

JeanRo Bistro

I've visited Jean-Ro Bistro, cheaper version of Jean-Robert @ Pigall's (both owned by Jean-Robert Cavel) which serves TRUE bistro fare, 4 times and have not been disappointed. Well, you know this must be a great place when the grand dame of French cuisine, Patricia Wells, comes here the night of her book signing (June 16, 2004).

Alas, they do not serve eau-de-vie here either. They do have a "framboise" but it's a raspberry beer. I didn't let that disturb me, though, like any good Parisian Bistro they have pichet du jour, blanc ou rouge.

Caveat: too bad they call Île Flottante by the plebian name Floating Islands; but a rose by any other name...

SERVICE
    Lee, my friend is my favorite waiter so please leave him a BIG TIP. Last visit he played sommelier for me & decided on the Domaine du Dragon, something that wouldn't be too strong for the pork steak, and it was a superb choice: wonderful red w/spicy undertones to complement the meal – perfect!

NB: Service is marked in measured time. Two or three hours could easily pass here in wonderful conversation & contemplation of the food.

Tip from Lee: the best ice cream in Cincinnati is Aglamesis Bros., located in Oakley Square.

DÈCOR
    Café & travel posters hung against Provençal yellow walls. Proverbs painted on the mirrors such as:
    "'Cuisine' means that things taste just like they are!"
    or
    "It is difficult to make something good out of second-class materials but it is quite easy to spoil the first-class ones."
    From these statements you can discern Jean-Robert's philosophy of excellence in cooking & in using the freshest of the finest ingredients. It is so very French to use the produce & seafood that is at the peak of season!

AMBIENCE
    French people across from me; English people next to me - the word is out!

Favorite Dish: On a previous visit my friend Sandye swore by:
    Brandade of cod
    Duck Confit

Prior visits I've tried & love the following:
    *Warm Indian Goat cheese
    *French Onion Soup
    *Steak frites
    *Floating Island (Île Flottante)
    *Pot de Crême

Last Dinner PERFECTION!
    *Tissot Crémant du Jura - $6.50/glass
    *Domaine du Dragon (Cab/Syrah blend) from Provence - $5.50/glass
    *Pork steak – bacon-wrapped roulade, bits of spinach with a remoulade center, poached pear w/fresh chives, with barley & a red wine reduction alongside fresh haricots vert.
    *Tart du Jour - Lemon tart – superb! It has a wonderful light, creamy custard, not too eggy – very subtle flavor (the lady next to me thought it had "good bite" like the best Key Lime Pie – she’s from Georgia, the deep South, where they understand a perfect Key Lime Pie)

On the menu they also have Skate with caper lemon butter as you’d expect to find in a modern Parisian bistro such as L’Epi Dupin in Paris.

Photo: August 2005

Instant Answers: Cincinnati

Comments

Cincinnati Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Cincinnati restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cincinnati sightseeing.