Places to eat in Cleveland

• Restaurants
    by fdrich29

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cleveland

• kehale's Profile Photo

Grumpy's Cafe: Great Little Place for Breakfast!

by kehale Written Jun 1, 2011

Stopped in here for breakfast on the morning we left Cleveland (we knew it was close to Lucky's so figured we would do a drive by and see if it was worth stopping in). Ended up being exactly what we needed after a weekend of indulging ourselves. Food was delicious and not too much - we left feeling content, not too full.

I ordered the apple oatmeal pancakes and they were delicious with actual small chunks of apple in the pancakes! So yummy!

Great Breakfast!: Lucky's Cafe

by kehale Updated May 25, 2011

This was one of my favorite places to dine. Located in Tremont, the cafe is on a small side street and not something you would find if staying in downtown Cleveland unless you were specifically looking for them. They are definitely worth making the trip though (really only a few minutes from downtown).

They grow their own herbs and veggies which is a huge bonus for us, and they support local farmers which is even better! Staff was great, explaining the concept and letting us know all about the menu... though I'm pretty sure we both knew exactly what we were going for when we arrived!

They started out as a coffee shop, so they have a great selection of coffees and drinks to choose from, we were both pleased with every part of this experience!

Favorite Dish: Hands down, their vanilla bean waffles are to die for! Light and fluffy, but really thick! The strawberry, rhubarb compote on top is delicious and mixed with the honey infused whipped cream this dish is unforgettable (oh, and I forgot to mention the caramel drizzle on top! YUM!).

For those who want savoury - you must try their cheddar biscuits with homemade sausage gravy on top!

Mexican Done Well!: Momocho Mod Mex

by kehale Written May 25, 2011

Another place we had heard about on the food network. We looked them up online before departing Toronto and loved the look of their menu, so we made sure to make reservations for dinner for our first night in town.

Located in a cute area in West Cleveland, we were pleased with the atmosphere when we arrived and the staff were very welcoming and friendly. We were lucky to have a gorgeous day so we sat on their outdoor patio, which is actually rather large. The waiter was helpful with recommendations on the menu, and the owner / chef was also mingling around chatting with patrons which was great!

Favorite Dish: What wasn't to love on this menu?

Definitely try and roasted corn, crab and chipotle guac to start! Fantastic and an absolute must! Also - the mexican fried ice cream to finish is great... and for $6 you get a whole lot of delicious!

Grilled Cheese Heaven: Melt Bar and Grilled

by kehale Updated May 25, 2011

When planning our trip to Cleveland, my boyfriend started searching out places to eat that had been featured on the Food Network... mainly from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Man vs. Food. This was one place we knew we had to visit - a meny stacked with all kinds of grilled cheese options!? PLEASE!

We actually made this our very first stop when we arrived in Cleveland, and we were pleased! We went to the location in Cleveland Heights and it was big! Staff was friendly and we were seated quickly.

Favorite Dish: I went for The Parmageddon which was delicious, but both my boyfriend and I fell in love with his choice (which was the special of the month). The Prime Rib Melt, which had prime rib slices, mashed poatoes and all kinds of other deliciousness packed on it. On the side it came with au jus for dipping and a yummy creamy horseradish sauce! If this is available on the menu when you visit, you MUST try it!

• Singles

• Luchita's: Best Mexican Food in Cleveland

by ClevelandMom Updated Apr 4, 2011

My husband and I tend to go to the Luchita's on West 117th Street in Cleveland, though there are a few scattered around town. The outside of this one is completely unremarkable, the inside is much nicer and is good for an easy meal and some margaritas. The Mexican food here is not only the best in Cleveland, it is the best that my husband and I have had anywhere. His favorite is the Chile Rellenos dinner, he's had chile rellenos at several other restaurants, including ones around the country, and these are his favorite. The only ones that compare are the ones I've learned how to make. The refried beans there are also great, my husband refers to it as "bean pate" because they are so rich and creamy.

Favorite Dish: My husband's favorite is the Chile Rellenos dinner, he's had chile rellenos at several other restaurants, including ones around the country, and these are his favorite. The only ones that compare are the ones I've learned how to make. The refried beans there are also great, my husband refers to it as "bean pate" because they are so rich and creamy. My favorite dishes are the enchiladas suizas dinner and the flautas dinner. Their tacos Mexicanos are good as well.

• edmeyer83's Profile Photo

Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips: Better than Long John Silver's?? Not exactly...

by edmeyer83 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I worked at Long John Silver's outside of Pittsburgh, PA for 2 years, so I am fairly knowledgeable about fast food seafood. We do not have any Arthur Treacher's locations near Pittsburgh, so when I saw this one near Independence, Ohio - I had to stop and check it out. My girlfriend and I ordered almost one of everything to make sure we tried it all. The fish, chicken and shrimp were good and the fries were ok. They clearly were not prepared for our order (it took at least 5-10 minutes for this food to be done). The experience was good, but something I never need to do again - we both would rather have Long John Silver's. Quick tip - As of March 2007, there is a Long John Silver's/Taco Bell location not far from Arthur Treacher's - definitely go there instead and get some food from both! There are over 20 locations in Ohio with several in the general Cleveland region. The one we went to was on Rockside Rd. in Garfield Heights.

Favorite Dish: One thing I ordered that I loved were the hushpuppies! These were way better than Long John Silver's and they were much bigger. I even ordered a box of them to go and ate them later in the hotel room!

• Seniors

• IMthat1girl000's Profile Photo

Garden Café: A Little Chunk of Taiwan

by IMthat1girl000 Updated Apr 4, 2011

A great taiwanese choice, this restaurant is a wonderful try for business people looking for a quick lunch of large proportions. The restaurant offers a full box lunch complete with dessert, salad, and soup all under $8. They offer more traditional taiwanese food but they can make anything you request. We have been told multiple times they can make anything we have had at other Chinese restaurants. They also have a family meal, where you can pick 2-3 entrees and share with the group. And of course the green tea is on the house.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

Flannery's: Nothing to write home about....

by garridogal Updated Apr 4, 2011

Your basic Irish pub with a good selection of imported beer on tap. We picked this place so that our friend, Steve from the UK, could watch a football match! The beer was certainly tasty however, the food was a different story.

Favorite Dish: Don't order the Chicken Ceasar salad. The chicken was dry, not grilled (as the menu said) and some of it was frightening! The chili that our friend, Ron, ordered just didn't look right.... However, the burgers and Fish 'n Chips that others got didn't look half bad. So now you know what to stick to if you do visit!

• Beer Tasting
    • Study Abroad

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo

Buffalo Wild Wings: Nothing special here.

by erikatheskysailor Updated Apr 4, 2011

I've never been particularly enamored with BW3's... It seems like more a local hangout of a sports bar. Wings, sauces and other bar food, sports on TV, and beer. It's dark, loud, and can get crowded. It works for what it is, but isn't an ideal place for out-of-towners looking for a unique Cleveland dining experience.

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo

Tower City Center/The Avenue food court.: Eat there at your own risk.

by erikatheskysailor Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food court at Tower City Center is probably not an ideal place to dine. I personally don't trust the quality of the food and its storage. There are far better places to dine in vicinity out on the street level. Also, I'd discourage against buying candy from the candy store, out of the bins. There's a lot of hinky people that pass through TCC, and those bins, so it downright seems disgusting to put candy in my mouth that's been handled and dug through by goodness knows how many dirty hands.

Favorite Dish: Nothing. If I'm out-of-my mind hungry, I might grab a snack at Panera's.

• Sergio's in University Circle: Flavorful food in an artsy setting

by traveler1234567 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This Brazilian restaurant has flavorful, interesting food. Not frou frou food. . . tasty and kind of exotic. Everything tasted like it was made from scratch. Wonderful, friendly service. The first time I went there for lunch it was Saturday and the restaurant was closed. The second time it was a rainy Friday, and the place was packed. We waited but wished we'd made a reservation. It's a tiny place. Very clean, with beautiful artwork.

Favorite Dish: I had a beef dish that came with beans. The meat was perfectly cooked, and the beans were wonderful. My husband ordered a vegetarian meal, and he enjoyed it very much.

• erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo

The WaterStreet Grill.: Inexpensive comfort food in a trendy area.

by erikatheskysailor Updated Apr 4, 2011

The WaterStreet grill has great food, average service and an open, airy setting. It's not a very large restaurant but seems to have been smartly decorated to give a more open feel. The menu is large but not exspansive; you'll find typical American fare as well as some Americanized international fare. The prices are very inexpensive, with many meals being under $10. There's a lot of comfort foods, too, as you might find at grandma's. The bar is well stocked with knowledgable bartenders. I don't drink, so, you won't get any more feedback about it frome me. :)

As for more about the atmosphere and decor: dark wood, with many earthy colors and a bright yet not obnoxious yellowish-white paint on the walls. Saturday nights are salsa nights, too, and popular! No jeans and a $5 cover charge applies for Salsa night.

This is definately a great place to go if you want to be in a trendy area of downtown (the Warehouse district) and be able to eat a decently priced meal.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the fettucine alfredo with grilled chicken. The noodles were fine but the sauce was very thin and watery; despite that, the sauce was full of flavor. The dish came with generous chunks of chicked breast with a good grill-flavor. I also enjoyed a dish of hummus. The actual gob of hummus was too small for the many pieces of fried pita bread. I've never had fried pita bread but it was tasty; even slightly greasy. The hummus tasted like a lot that I've tried, but had a hint of a vegetable dip flavor (not ideal, in my opinion) and needed some sea salt.

One less-than-ideal experience there: I was chewing on some alfredo noodles and unknowlingly started chewing on a thread of steel wire from a steel wool sponge, used to clean my dish beforehand! =/ The kitchen staff figured it out quick but just give your dish a quick look-over before digging in... ;) Parking is available in nearby lots ($).

• bd's Mongolian Barbeque: A Unique and Delicious Dining Experience

by webdizzy Updated Apr 4, 2011

This was a unique and delicious dining experience. A friend and I went on a weekday evening for an early dinner, so it wasn't very crowed. Dinner was $13.99. for all-you-can -eat; lunch is a few dollars cheaper.

There is no menu -- since you basically create your own meal. You fill a bowl full of whatever you ingredients you want, selected from a buffet-like setup. Choices include all kinds of meats (beef, poultry, and seafood such as shrimp, scallops, fish and clams), all kinds of vegetables, sauces, and spices. Then, you take it to a huge round grill where the chefs prepare your food, stir-fry style. It's neat to watch them using swords to turn the food on the grill. When it's done, you take it back to your table where there is hot white rice and warm tortillas waiting to eat it with. There's also a salad and soup bar, which is included in the all-you-can-eat price. We had their Mushroom Bisque soup, which was awesome. It was all so good I wanted to go back for seconds and create another recipe, but I was just to full. You gotta go there! Check out their website.

Favorite Dish: My "recipe" included shrimp, scallops, clams, roma tomatoes, sugar snap peas, chopped nuts, garlic oil (you have to choose at least one of a few different oils), a tomato herb sauce and some spices (there are several to choose from, including very spicy ones).

• Business Travel

• redheaney's Profile Photo

Otani Japanese Restaurant: The worst Japanese dining experience ever! :(

by redheaney Updated Apr 3, 2011

The staff were unfriendly and the restaurant itself... dirty.

Where to start? We opted to do Hibachi (sushi is also available) and when ordering our meals, the difference in pricing between the regular steak and the 'filet' was $4. I attempted to order the shrimp and steak combination, with filet instead of the regular steak and was informed that the difference in price would be $8! EIGHT DOLLARS!!! Er, no thanks. :(

The miso soup was fishy and the mushroom soup, beefy. The salad was very obviously out of a bag and the 'ginger dressing?' Was closer to miracle whip... gack. I had to ask for my shrimp to be cooked longer (and even then, they weren't cooked enough for my liking) and the scallops were edible but nothing fantastic. The rice was not fresh and the vegetables... well, were vegetables.

What I found most disappointing was that a family with young children was seated at our table. Being the only people in the place (and in hindsight, I now know why) one would think that they would send out an experienced chef - to mean, one who would be able to entertain the young ones with all of the knife shenanigans, etc... and though our chef was a nice young man, he was about as entertaining as a potted plant. :(

The restrooms were disgusting and were suffering some sort of sewer problem. You know it's a bad sign when the loo roll holder is empty and there's a roll of bathroom tissue sitting on the floor. AND a staff member was on their way out as I was on my way in... :( I don't know what it is but I have a real problem with staff members using the same restrooms as the customers... Hey, that's just the way I feel.

I have eaten at Otani previously, a number of years ago... and that too, was not a happy experience. Glutton for punishment, I guess! But never, NEVER again. You couldn't pay me to eat there again!

Favorite Dish: The Sapporo beer... because it came out of a can and I knew what I was getting.
    Even the Sake was disappointing.

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Melt Bar and Grilled: Never got in to taste

by CdnJane Written Apr 27, 2010

I can tell you that there is parking behind the restaurant, and that they have a lovely large waiting area, and an interesting menu. I cannot tell you about the service or the food - because we just couldn't wait long enough to get in. We saw it on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and since I'm a cheeseaholic, wanted to try it. However, we just couldn't wait 2 hours! So, hopefully the next time.

Cleveland Hotels

Latest: Apr 8, 2014
Embassy Suites Hotel Cleveland Downtown
Crowne Plaza Hotel Cleveland City Centre

Instant Answers: Cleveland

Comments

Cleveland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cleveland locals.
Map of Cleveland