Pier W, Cleveland

by ClevelandMom
  • WheninRome's Profile Photo

Pier W: Lakefront Fine Dining

by WheninRome Written Jan 23, 2010

Pier W is located in Lakewood, just across the Cleveland City limits. It is one of Cleveland's only lakefront (Lake Erie) restaurants, which I think is a travesty for a city that sits right on the lake.

You enter Pier W through a glass walkway and go down 1 floor in an elevator. The restaurant looks very elegant and the views of Lake Erie and the Cleveland skyline are beautiful. I was there for lunch, but I bet the evening into night views are breathtaking.

Pier W specializes in fish and has some of the best prepared fish in Cleveland. I had North Atlantic cod on a bed of steamed fresh spinach and potato wedges. One of my colleagues had the Lake Erie walleye, which looked delicious as well. The lobster and crab sliders also seemed popular and you get get non-seafood items (i.e. mushroom pizza, hamburger, steak, etc...) for those so inclined. The wine menu was also rather extensive.

Pier W is a little pricier than your average restaurant, but it is no more so than many of the places on East 4th Street and you get an awesome view of the Lake.

Favorite Dish: Fish. Next time I will try the walleye.

• Pier W: Best Place for Surf and Turf and Best View

by ClevelandMom Written Sep 24, 2008

This is where my husband took me the night we got engaged. It's romantic, especially if you get a table near the windows overlooking the lake and downtown Cleveland's skyline. The food here is consistently great, there are few places now where I will get filet and lobster, because few places compare.

Favorite Dish: Filet and lobster, because they actually know how to cook it properly. I can't tell you why it's so good other than, this is what filet and lobster is meant to taste like.

• Women's Travel

• Pier W: Overpriced Brunch

by NorwayWalker Written Aug 28, 2007

Overpriced. Poor value at $35/person. Limited menu since remodeling and basically the same footprint. They moved the bar & stuck a piano player right in the crowded middle where the food was. My first impression was, where's all the food? There was a paper thin roast beef carving station, where you had to beg for a decent slice but no ham or turkey as in the past and this was just about the only meat. There was a cajun chicken dish but it was dry and tough. There was breakfast sausage but no bacon, for a brunch! Along with a small plate of grocery store prosciutto slices and salami that was it. Even the sea food was lacking. There was no breaded fish, no lake Erie perch as in the past, just smoked salmon and forked size pieces of smoked kippers. There were salmon cakes & patties - too much salmon. Shrimp were small - 30 cnt size. The cheese, all 3 varities, tasted like they came from a Kraft variety pack of cubes. No special cheese as in the past. The eggs benedict were over cooked with hard yokes and again paper thin Canadian bacon slices. And don't expect anything approaching a salad bar. There was a small bowl of pre-mixed caesar salad and a small bowl of mixed greens with about 6-8 toppings. You had to pre-order an omlet & there was no waffle station - just soggy limp waffles in a steam tray. The rest of the dishes were nothing to write home about! The desserts were good but gone were the full size chocolate cakes and such. Everything except for the bread pudding was served up on little dishes. Cheese cake, custard, pudding and little pieces of chocolate cake. Nothing decidant and mouth watering to be sure. Our server was good and removed dishes & replaced silverware, however, she only offered orange juice as a beverage. The coffee was so strong you couldn't drink it & I like expresso. It tasted like it had been brewing for hours. Bottom line at $112.00, before tip, for three people, we felt like we had been ripped off. Try elsewhere.

• Pier W: Overpriced

by thursdays Written Jul 7, 2007

It had been about 2 years since I was at Pier W for Sunday Brunch. This time I was surprised how much they raised the price. $35.00 per person for a Sunday brunch! Last time it was only 19.95 per person. The food has suffered and the new decor makes it less inviting. I can see why it was not busy at all. Don't bother!

• Pier W: dont order the clam chowder

by gillcafarelli Written Nov 1, 2006

very nice setting BUT we both ordered the clam chowder and it was riddled with SAND

you would think a 5 star restaurant would be better than a diner .

I have ordered clam bakes and chowder at least 100 times IN OTHER RESTAURANTS and

never did I get SAND

Favorite Dish: the salmon on a cedar plank was excellent

• Luxury Travel
    • Architecture

• rtschneider's Profile Photo

I've got a bunch of favorites...

by rtschneider Written Aug 24, 2002

I've got a bunch of favorites but if you want a nice romantic dinner go to Pier W in Lakewood.
    Its fairly dressy. They have a guy that plays the piano. White tableclothes, candles, and if you're lucky you can get a table overlooking Lake Erie. The best is at sunset but of course I've only been so lucky to get one of those tables once!

Favorite Dish: They have a lot of seafood dishes.

Instant Answers: Cleveland