Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland

by Rabbityama
  • "Southside" Music Video Props
    by Rabbityama
  • JANIS JOPLINS PHSYCHADELIC PAINTED PORSCHE
    JANIS JOPLINS PHSYCHADELIC PAINTED...
    by DennyP
  • Boca24's Profile Photo

Music History at its best

by Boca24 Written Jul 25, 2005

Going through the museum was an interesting experience. Alot of articles that belonged to different musicians as well did a nice job explaining the evolution of Rock and Roll.

But the highlight of the trip we did at the end. They have a video montage of each of the inductees into the Hall of Fame. DO NOT MISS THIS FILM!!! It was worth the trip alone.

My only disappointment was our inability to take photos in the museum.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Got to visit this time

by bonio Updated Jul 13, 2005

On our second visit to town we were able to stay a couple of days and finally made it to the Rock Hall. Very busy, glad we bought our tickets the day before! Some great exhibits but the worrying thing for me was that many of the records on display, I have at home and bought them when they were released - boy I''m getting old.
    Good displays of Lynyrd Skynyrd and Pink Floyd while we were there.
    Would like to revisit next time I'm in town.

• Tour the Rock Hall?

by kmcq Updated May 31, 2005

The term "rock and roll" was coined by Alan Freed, a disc jockey in Cleveland, Ohio. I am a avid listener of popular music, so I was excited to take spend one day of a three-day trip visiting the hall of fame. I have to say I was a bit disappointed in the rock and roll hall of fame. The beautiful building was filled with old costumes from performers, but had no good place to listen to or learn about the development of rock and roll. I found the country hall of fame to be more interesting and informative. The structure and lakeshore are very pleasant on a spring afternoon, though.

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

A Must-see!

by HotRodEtte Written May 13, 2005

There is nothing like the Rock N Roll hall of fame...especially to us music-nuts!!!
    Last time I was there was in 1996, so a lot has been added since then. Aside from the museum (which you should allow yourself a half-day to get through), there is also a large music store, resembling Borders or Media Play.

• garridogal's Profile Photo

All Rock fans should go

by garridogal Updated May 5, 2005

A lot has been written and said about this museum and how it could be better and costs too much, etc. Don't listen to that and just go! Although I was dissappointed to see artifacts from crap musicians like Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera, $20 is not too much to pay to see original instruments and costumes from the greats like Elton John, Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger and David Bowie just to name a few. This was my second visit to the RRHOF and the reason behind this visit was the Tommy Exhibit. It was a great experience for an avid Who fan - me!

Where's Tommy?

• JudiandBill's Profile Photo

Rocked MY WALLET!

by JudiandBill Written Oct 16, 2004

I've been eager to see the R & R Hall of Fame since they opened. But on our trip to Cleveland, I was shocked at the price to get in, and a bit disappointed in the place as a whole. Bill says it's cause they didn't have a Cher display when we were there! And.. I DO love Cher!

Big Guitars at R & R

• JudiandBill's Profile Photo

Rocked MY WALLET!

by JudiandBill Written Oct 16, 2004

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

by lashr1999 Written Sep 20, 2004

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is very cool place. It has several levels, some levels are rotating exhibits. The thing I like doing the most here is looking at handprinted lyrics of songs by some of the artists. You can see these complete with corrections and cross outs. In addition you can see variuos clothing and instruments used by artists. Some artists I think are signifiant were left out while some I never hear about were there. One thing lacking is the hands on experience you get from the EMP in seattle. In the EMP in Seattle you can play instrument and be a virtual DJ. Perhaps in the future they may consider adding this feature here.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-Cleveland

• kdoc13's Profile Photo

Rock And Roll Hall of Fame

by kdoc13 Written May 20, 2004

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can be very cool to see if you really like a band that has been enshrined, or who's exhibit you know is there. I have been there many times, but never really enjoyed it until I saw the U2 exhibit. Then, it was U2 overkill, but still somewhat fun. Make sure you call ahead to find out what is there on exhibit, it does change.

The main things you will see in the museum are instruments and costumes. The basement is crawling with them. I remember saying to myself, "I can't believe Christina Agulera is that small, her butt seems so big in the videos." And you might just say that too. I am a Beatles fanatic, there isn't as much here on them as I had hoped. The Beijing Hard Rock seemed to have just as much, and the rock museum in Seattle had more. Also, I was surprised as to how little they had from everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good place to visit, and most people who really love rock and roll will not go away disappointed. Mostly, I just expected more. There are some very cool things there, like the record covers that didn't make it or were just too cool to make en masse! For someone who grew up in the area, it was also cool to see the history of rock and why Cleveland is the perfect place for it.

Don't miss it!

The Rok And Roll Hall of Fame

• karen75's Profile Photo

by karen75 Written Mar 20, 2004

I walked inside the Hall of Fame but didn't have enough time to actually check out the interior. Had to rush back to Jacob's Field for the Indians game... I'll be sure to buy a ticket to see the Hall of Fame the next time I visit.

• lovemycacti's Profile Photo

I Love Rock & Roll

by lovemycacti Updated Mar 11, 2004

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is a fun, unique destination for anyone who wants to say, "I remember that!" From Jim Morrison (The Doors) cub scout uniform to The Beatles stylin' threads this is also a fashion lesson 101.

It's a bummer that photography is not allowed in the museum, in the lobby only, but I saw several people with video camera's recording things, although the staff will raise heck and tell you otherwise, and make you put it away. Understandably. Architecturally speaking it is a beautiful building, with a vast, eye-popping array of treasures from the World's most loved rock and roll stars.
    There is also a music museum store and cafe.

Hours:
    10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. daily (open until 9 p.m. on Wednesdays) Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Summer Hours: From Memorial Day to Labor Day, the Museum is also open until 9 p.m. on Saturdays.

General Public:
    Adults: $20.00
    Seniors (60+): $14.00
    Children ages 9-12: $11.00
    Children 8 & under: FREE

Parking sucks! For the shortest walk, try one of these:
    APCOA parking across from Naval Reserve on North Marginal
    North Point Parking (access from East Ninth Street near the Shoreway/Route 2 ramps)
    Willard Park Garage (access from Lakeside and East 9th Street)

For a little more exercise, park yourself at one of these:
    Municipal Lot (access from South Marginal Road)
    Burke Lakefront Airport (access from North Marginal Road)
    Galleria Parking Garage and Valet Parking (access from East 12th Street or Lakeside)
    Port Authority Lot (access from Erieside Avenue)

Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Mar 1, 2004

OK, I'll be honest. We don't particularly like Rock and Roll so we didn't pay the hefty admission fee to go inside here. But it's a neat building, don't you think! Next time we'll go in and check it out ... maybe.

A

• where2next's Profile Photo

by where2next Written Sep 2, 2003

I went to grad school in Cleveland for two years, and visited the hall several times. It warranted several visits in part because the upper floors have rotating exhibits such as a tribute to John Lennon or on Hip Hop. The lower floors cover most all of rock and roll (though my friend who like Pink Floyd did not see anything on them, though perhaps we just missed it).

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

by PrincessMonja Updated Aug 16, 2003

I went along to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame with no great expectations, but I had a fantastic time. I spent hours in there!

I found the exhibits really interesting and particularly enjoyed the fact that it celebrated international music. When I visited there was a special John Lennon display on exhibited wonderfully.

The museum covers the story of Rock and Roll from its roots right up to the current day. It has a little of something for everyone.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• heplion's Profile Photo

The Cleveland Rock and Roll...

by heplion Updated Aug 26, 2002

The Cleveland Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    OK, I figured that Cleveland fought so hard to get this place that I should include it here, even though I have never actually been here....I will say that it blows that we get the hall of fame, but the induction concerts are still held in New York City!!!

Instant Answers: Cleveland

Comments

Hotels Near Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
3.5 out of 5 stars