Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, Cleveland

• "Southside" Music Video Props
    by Rabbityama
    by Rabbityama
  • THERE IS A LARGE ELVIS DISPLAY INCL. A CADILLAC
    THERE IS A LARGE ELVIS DISPLAY INCL. A...
    by DennyP
  • erikatheskysailor's Profile Photo

That big, weird, white building by the lake.

by erikatheskysailor Updated Jun 4, 2006

Photo copyrighted to Erikatheskysailor.

This museum may not appeal to all, because it is hardly interactive, and probably won't appeal very much to the person not passionate about or appreciative of popular music history. The admission is steep ($20 US), but again, if the nature of the museum appeals to you.

If you're pressed for time and can't get in, you can still see numerous exhibits in the lobby and lower lobby, without paying, of course. Overall, there's a lot of fascinating exhibits and memorabilia, but it's not a very interactive musuem.

There collections rotate and new exhibitions come in every few months. Concerts are held there and some are held at their outdoor plaza for free. The actual inside of the Rock Hall is oddly laid out; there are no typical wide open, even floorplans; exhibits galleries are oddly shaped, often small and cramped. Don't expect a smoothly laid-out floorplan, basically. The odd floor space can also be tricky to naviagate with crowds. The lower exhibition hall has the most people-accomodating floorplan. As for the cafe, it serves a few (and I mean a few) simple meals and beverage selections. You'll also find a camera/coat check and large gift shop; coat/camera check is free (photography is strictly prohibited).

Cleveland has had a significant music history, and the Hall certianly has relevance here, even if some do debate the "Birthplace of Rock and Roll' nickname we've got. :)

• Rock and Roll Capital

by CoAir13 Updated Jan 9, 2006

Rock Hall

Interesting collection of music memorabilia!! I have only been here once and that was when there was an exhibit featuring U2. It was fantastic! One should really like music to pay the $20 entry fee!! During the summer months, free concerts are held outside featuring national and local bands. Check website for events and tributes.

• kdoc13's Profile Photo

Rock And Roll Hall of Fame

by kdoc13 Written May 20, 2004

The Rok And Roll Hall of Fame

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame can be very cool to see if you really like a band that has been enshrined, or who's exhibit you know is there. I have been there many times, but never really enjoyed it until I saw the U2 exhibit. Then, it was U2 overkill, but still somewhat fun. Make sure you call ahead to find out what is there on exhibit, it does change.

The main things you will see in the museum are instruments and costumes. The basement is crawling with them. I remember saying to myself, "I can't believe Christina Agulera is that small, her butt seems so big in the videos." And you might just say that too. I am a Beatles fanatic, there isn't as much here on them as I had hoped. The Beijing Hard Rock seemed to have just as much, and the rock museum in Seattle had more. Also, I was surprised as to how little they had from everyone else.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good place to visit, and most people who really love rock and roll will not go away disappointed. Mostly, I just expected more. There are some very cool things there, like the record covers that didn't make it or were just too cool to make en masse! For someone who grew up in the area, it was also cool to see the history of rock and why Cleveland is the perfect place for it.

Don't miss it!

• Herkbert's Profile Photo

I love rock and roll

by Herkbert Written Jul 1, 2008

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Like music? Then plan a few hours to check out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame houses exhibits and memorabilia from some of the greatest acts of all time. Memorabilia includes outfits worn during shows, instruments, notes, letters, lyrics and even pictures and automobiles.

There are six floors in the building, with the bulk of the memorabilia on the ground and second floors.

Photos are not permitted in the hall of fame, but you can take them in the lobby.

The building itself is quite cool. Designed by IM Pei (think Louvre pyramids), it is located right on the lakefront and is quite unique looking.

Ticket prices are around $15, but discounts for seniors over 50 are available. Who else remembers most of the groups?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Apr 4, 2011

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Nice museum and homage to Rock and Roll in a fantastic setting. The museum has a number of video exhibits and displays.

Not quite as good as the EMP in Seattle in my opinion but a must see if you are in Cleveland

• Architecture

• garridogal's Profile Photo

All Rock fans should go

by garridogal Updated May 5, 2005

Where's Tommy?

A lot has been written and said about this museum and how it could be better and costs too much, etc. Don't listen to that and just go! Although I was dissappointed to see artifacts from crap musicians like Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera, $20 is not too much to pay to see original instruments and costumes from the greats like Elton John, Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger and David Bowie just to name a few. This was my second visit to the RRHOF and the reason behind this visit was the Tommy Exhibit. It was a great experience for an avid Who fan - me!

• JudiandBill's Profile Photo

Rocked MY WALLET!

by JudiandBill Written Oct 16, 2004

I've been eager to see the R & R Hall of Fame since they opened. But on our trip to Cleveland, I was shocked at the price to get in, and a bit disappointed in the place as a whole. Bill says it's cause they didn't have a Cher display when we were there! And.. I DO love Cher!

• DennyP's Profile Photo

VISIT THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

by DennyP Updated Sep 3, 2013

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FROM THE STREET

CLEVELAND
    . ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL BUT I LIKE IT.!!!
    Well I have certainly waited a long time and travelled a long way to visit this world famous Museum ...and I am finally here..
    Before I even enter the building I am blown away as I see and view the interior of Johnny Cash's (home) Tour bus..that was located just outside the entryway..Upon entry to this glass pyramid which is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame There is much to see with various funny cars hanging from the ceiling etc.I purchase my ticket have a quick photo taken and go down the escalators to the lower level which hosts a myriad of amazing items and legendary musical memorabilia.Firstly is a huge screen with an Elvis "Mystery Train" travelogue on the big screen here can also be seen one of Elvis's cadillacs and a host of personal items..

To begin to list what there is to see here is an impossibility in such a short space ..suffice to say that as this is where the phrase Rock and Roll was coined some sixty plus years ago by the legenday disc jockey of the time Allan Freeman ..Cleveland would have to be the "epicentre" of that particular music genre that was to change all popular music around the world and into the future.

Here you will see the most amazing collection of many legendary musicians personal items ranging from cars to guitars..for the many that grew up with the 50's legends that started what was then an upheaval of current musical trends..like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Jeannie Vincent, Eddie Cochrane.etc,..the list is a long one of course not overlooking the many groups that helped with their fame and of course the other genres of favourites music represented here by their own legends of "Blues" and "Soul " legends of Tamla Motown along with many "Country" famous artists..From the 50's to now with legends like The Band, Janis Joplin , Jimmy Hendrix, The Eagles, The Who, Guns and Roses ,Otis Reading, BB King , Ray Charles, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Eric Clapton, Elton John, on and on and on ..

The Museum has six levels of exhibits and if you are into music you will be here for some time as your favourite artists are bound to be found here .Allow yourself at least four hours for your visit..and as there are just so many items in this Museum many of the displays are rotated from time to time to let everyone see as much of this incredible collection as possible.
    .On my visit there was a display on the top two floors that were dedicated to the many amazing items of the Rolling Stones".. I beleive prior to that there was a similar display dedicated to the Beatles..

I can only conclude by saying....for me...this was an amazing Museum to visit and being a huge Rock and Roll fan ..a must see and on anyone's list that is a "Rock Music person." you couldn't be dissapointed.

ALSO: The music store has some really "cool" merchandise.
    ENTRY IS: ADULTS $ 22.00

• Photography

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Mar 1, 2004

A

OK, I'll be honest. We don't particularly like Rock and Roll so we didn't pay the hefty admission fee to go inside here. But it's a neat building, don't you think! Next time we'll go in and check it out ... maybe.

• where2next's Profile Photo

by where2next Written Sep 2, 2003

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I went to grad school in Cleveland for two years, and visited the hall several times. It warranted several visits in part because the upper floors have rotating exhibits such as a tribute to John Lennon or on Hip Hop. The lower floors cover most all of rock and roll (though my friend who like Pink Floyd did not see anything on them, though perhaps we just missed it).

• PrincessMonja's Profile Photo

by PrincessMonja Updated Aug 16, 2003

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I went along to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame with no great expectations, but I had a fantastic time. I spent hours in there!

I found the exhibits really interesting and particularly enjoyed the fact that it celebrated international music. When I visited there was a special John Lennon display on exhibited wonderfully.

The museum covers the story of Rock and Roll from its roots right up to the current day. It has a little of something for everyone.

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

by Rabbityama Updated Apr 4, 2011

Designed by I.M. Pei, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is just as interesting outside as it is on the inside! There are tons of memorabilia from modern artists, as well as America's favorites from past decades. From Elvis, to the Beatles, to Madonna, there are so many interesting displays of outfits worn by the artists, props used in music videos/concerts, albums/records, toys, and many other pieces of American rock and roll history. If you check their schedule, you may also have the opportunity to see a live concert! I met the singer, Pharrell, here just before his performance!

Tthere may be times when certain icons have no displays while others have a larger feature. It's not a snub; they simply have too many things, so they have to rotate displays. Multiple visits are always worthwhile!

(For ticket prices, open/closing times, special events, etc. please visit the website I've listed)

• JudiandBill's Profile Photo

Rocked MY WALLET!

by JudiandBill Written Oct 16, 2004

Big Guitars at R & R

• CdnJane's Profile Photo

Visit with Time and Enjoy the Memories

by CdnJane Written Apr 27, 2010

My word of advice is that you visit when you have time to take it all in, and to enjoy the memories and the history. There is so much to see ... so many "I remember that" opportunities and "OH WOW" moments and "Do you believe that" scenarios to take in, and you really need to let it all soak in. We arrived there after a fair bit of driving, and walking in a cold wind, and I just don't feel that I was able to appreciate it as much as I would've liked. Rock and Roll has been around all my life whether I appreciated it or not - there was so much that I was aware of, but I just couldn't absorb it all.
    Having said that, I don't regret going - just wish that I could've taken it in more fully.

• jjunt0522's Profile Photo

I Love Rock N' Roll

by jjunt0522 Written May 20, 2008

The Hall of Fame

Every vacation to Cleveland should include a trip to the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame. It is incredible. Sure not everyone listens to rock, but I guarantee you everyone has heard of at least a few of the people in there. It is great.

Instant Answers: Cleveland

Comments

Hotels Near Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
4.0 out of 5 stars