Columbus Restaurants

• Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Columbus

Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant: Great Place for a VT Meeting

by deecat Updated May 18, 2006

We came to Columbus to see the Statehouse, the art, the Bookloft, German Village, and The Old Deaf School Topiary Park; however, after I found out that we would be meeting Stephen and Karen Conn, everything else "paled" when compared to that event!

Stephen suggested that we meet at Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant in the German Village section of Columbus, Ohio.

The German enclave of Columbus flourished between 1840 and 1918 with its beer breweries. However, World Wars I and II created a negative sentiment toward anything German; thus, this neighborhood fell into much decline. But, in 1960 The German Village Society was formed, and revitalization became a reality.

Schmidt's is located in a brick livery stable on Kossuth Street and Purdy Alley. The original here was a Packing Haus that processed meat products.. The restaurant today still has a large wooden lard paddle from that old packing haus; it is used as a door handle. Inside this restaurant, it is quite rustic. There's wooden floors, paneling, old brick walls, and some stall-like booths.

The restaurant specializes in original German and American dinners along with sandwiches and desserts. They also serve several German Beers, micro brews (bottle and on tab).

Schmidt's has been around since 1886, and after visiting it, I assume it will survive for years to come.

I think the reason I enjoyed it so much was because of the wonderful banter and conversation that Jill and I shared with Stephen and Karen.We also discussed the Growing Up Pentecostal book that Stephen wrote and that was recently published AND the book that Jill Marin edited called Gurnee and Warren Township( both signed my copies). Karen and I were lunching with celebrities!

Favorite Dish: I tried a "Starter" called Sauerkraut-Bratwurst Balls which were Sauerkraut and Schmidt's own bratwurst combined and coated with a crispy batter. Both Karen and I had this; it was too large of a portion to finish, but it was quite good. I also had a delicious Schmidt's Haus Salad with Mixed lettuce, tomato wedges, and croutons with low-cal Italian dressing.

They have Soups, Salads, Signature Sausage Platters, German Traditional Dinners, Sandwiches, Side Dishes, Desserts, and Beverages.

While in Columbus, try this Columbus Landmark called Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant Dee, Jill, Karen, and Stephen at Scmidt's Karen, Stephen, & Jill in Front of Schmidt's Stephen's Book, Growing Up Pentecostal Jill's Book, Gurnee and Warren Township

Due Amici: Excellent Italian Restaurant in Columbus

by deecat Updated May 17, 2006

Due Amici is a relatively new restaurant in Columbus, Ohio, suggested to us at our hotel, The Hyatt on Capitol Square.

This Italian delight has "Old World cuisine in a landmark building designed in contemporary style. There's an eclectic bar lounge with a happy hour from 3-7. Valet parking is available, but since we walked here, it was not needed.

The dining area has high ceilings, exposed brick walls, yet modern lighting. The ambience is wonderful with a combination of the old and the new.

Open:
    Monday-Thursday: 11;00 a.m.-Midnight
    Friday: 11:00 a.m. -2:00 a.m.
    Saturday: 5:00 p.m.-2:00 a.m.
    Sunday: Closed

The menu offers Appetizers, Soups, Pizzas, Salads, Entrees, 6 different Pastas & 14 different Sauces, Sides of vegetables, rice, and potatoes, and, of course, Desserts.

Favorite Dish: Jill had the Tomato Basil Bisque for $4.50, and she loved it.
    We shared a Baby Greens Salad consisting of Baby Greens, red onion, Gorgonzola Cheese, blue berrie, raspberries, golden raisins, and Balsamic Vinaigrette which was out of this world delicious.

I ordered a small Margherita Pizza for $10.00, which I shared with Jill. We agreed that it was amazingly good. We finished it off.

They had pure Virgin Olive Oil with Cheese for dipping the warm, Italian bread. Yum!

We shared a special Margherita Drink that was quite strong.

All-in-all, we enjoyed the ambience and loved the food. Our waiter was quite efficient and helpful.

Pizza, Tomato Basil Soup

The Plaza Restaurant and Lounge: Breakfast and Dinner at

by deecat Updated May 17, 2006

The hotel has a wonderful restaurant called The Plaza Restaurant and Lounge where we ate two breakfasts and one dinner. It is considered "one of the best restaurants in Columbus". I can see why. There is a stunning view of an outdoor fountain courtyard or a view of the State Capitol Building.

They offer afternoon tea Monday-Saturday, and The Lounge has a vast array of wines-by-the-glass.

Breakfast Hours:
    Monday-Saturday 6:30am-11:30am

Brunch:
    Sunday 10:30 am-2:00 pm

Lunch:
    Monday-Saturday 11:30 am-1:30 pm

Dinner:
    Sunday-Saturday 6 pm-10 pm%s

Favorite Dish: For breakfast, the orange juice was freshly squeezed. Our complimentary breakfast was a combination of sweet rolls, muffins, and bread rolls with butter and jam, coffee or tea, and Orange juice.

We were not very hungry we ate dinner at The Plaza Restaurant and Lounge so we shared a meal. The salad was outstanding with lettuce, tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, candied nuts, and madrin oranges. The portion that you see in the photograph is my half of the salad I shared with JIll. We also shared a pasta that was absolutely delicious...subtle, delicate, yet spicey. We ended the evening with lovely Cappuccino.

Jill During Breakfast at The Plaza Restaurant My Fountain in Outdoor Courtyard Delicious Shared Salad Family enjoys breakfast at the Plaza Restaurant

Cheesecake Factory: Overpriced and slow

by jennwerner Written Feb 2, 2007

So you hear all this talk about the Cheesecake Factory being so special. Well I guess it is if your going for Cheesecake it is. Here is the low down. The food is great. Yes I will say that much. But be sure to share your meal with whom ever you are dining with. The portions are so huge way to much for one person to eat. If you plan on ordering drinks from the bar order two at a time. The bar service is so slow. At one point we waited 10 minutes for a drink and when I got my glass of wine the glass was chipped. Now how did this get past the bartender and the server is beyond me. So I opted for a margarita instead this took another 10 minutes to get. After dinner I wanted a Bailies and Hot Chocolate because the temperature in the resturant was really cool. The server came back 5 minutes later only to tell me she couldnt do it unless she brought me a hot chocolate and a seperate shot of bailies. Since the hot chocolate had to come from the Bakery. Over all we had a good dining experience because the food was so good and the service other than the bar service was ok.

Favorite Dish: We loved the Crispy Spicy Beef. This dish is amazing. It has crispy beef (yummy) green beans, and carrots served in a spicy sweet sesame sauce that is to die for along with a side of white rice. The club sandwich was huge and looked good and our other friend had a southwest chicken salad that looked amazing.

Crispy Spicy Beef!!!  Yum Huge Club Sandwich!!!!

Classics Pizza and Sports Bar: Amazing Pizza and Have a beer while you Wait

by jennwerner Written Jan 18, 2007

Well this place is a Sports bar with about 20 -25 42" LCD TV's and a nice Juke Box with lots of music. There is a pool table as well as dart boards. Happy Hour Beer is only 1.75 and the pizza is amazing. YOu can eat it at the Bar, take it home or have it delivered. It is really a nice atmosphere with a varied crowd. Lots of people have a beer while they wait for their pizza. I will take a pic to post next time I devour a Classic Pizza. Fresh toppings hot delicious pizza. If your looking for an alternative to Greesy Nasty Pizza Hut Pizza this place is your answer.

Favorite Dish: Pizza any pizza is amazing. Wow this stuff was great. Real cheese lots of toppings and made fresh. Friendly service

• Study Abroad

• jennwerner's Profile Photo

The Hoover Grille: Good View and Not bad food.

by jennwerner Written Dec 26, 2006

The location is what makes this place special. ITs on Hoover Resivor in Westerville which is slightly North of Columbus. The atmosphere is nice and the menu is varied. Ther service is really good and the food was hot fresh and delicious. I had the sirlion steak and a baked potato. Steak was cooked to perfection and the potato was hot and fresh. The margarita special was 3 dollars so I enjoyed two of these tasty drinks.

Favorite Dish: Menu varies here you can order something as simple as a pizza and a burger to something fancy like steak or fresh fish.

Dinner at the Hoover Grille

Cheeseburger in Paradise: Jimmy Buffet theme and lots of fun

by jennwerner Updated Apr 4, 2011

This place is a Jimmy Buffet themed Restaurant. It has a fun look and feel to it the minute you walk in the door. If you have kids this place rocks. There is plenty for them to look at. If you don’t have kids this place rocks cause it’s a fun atmosphere that you can enjoy.
    We were there on a Thursday evening during happy hour. The special is ½ price margaritas and in Margaritaville what a better drink to order. They also offer $1.00 off draft beers.
    The service was great our waitress Kylie was very friendly and accommodating for us. What I really liked about this place was that at the end of our meal they could split the check evenly three ways. No problem at all our server told us it didn’t matter how many people we had. What a great place for our future VT meet.
    The food was amazing. Hot and fresh and delicious. I would recommend those mini cheeseburgers to any one they are simply delightful. The little mini buns are even toaster. The fries were not even a little bit greasy. So don’t worry if in keeping with the theme you like yours with Heinz 57 it is available too.
    Wings in teriyaki sauce to die for and the ribs were tender. The menu has lots of options for even the pickiest of eaters and I would go back here again in a heartbeat.

Favorite Dish: The appetizer platter... Mini Cheeseburgers, wings, ribs and onion straws... Excellent for happy hour.......

From the Outside

Q2 Bistro: Excellent Chinese Food at a good Price

by jennwerner Written Feb 16, 2007

I saw this place a couple weeks ago when driving around town. I asked a friend of mine about it and he said it was very good. So I had to try it for myself. The Q2 Bistro is in an upscale shopping center and this little place had some really great chinese food. Just look at my pictures. They look good enough to eat. The decor is nice to look at and it has a modern feel. The service was really good and the food was fresh hot and very very good. They have asian beers and a full service bar. The drinks from the bar are teeny tiny though. There is a 42 inch tv when you come in the door. The prices are about average here with appetizer of a single egg roll about $1.50 and the average dinner being about $10 - $15 dollars. Beers were 4$ and drinks were $3.50. I would reccommend this to anyone. But I think I will get takeout from there next time. The only thing I didnt like about this place was every time the door opened we got a cold draft of air. But it is zero degrees out right now...
    *****I found coupons for a free appetizer or 5.00$ off a meal online. Do a search for Q2 bistro. The site was the valpack site where I found the coupons.

Favorite Dish: The Mongolian trio was what I had. It was excellent. Had a great flavor and fresh veggies. The shrimp were huge and delicious. IT was a shrimp, chicken and beef combo that was a little bit spicy and very good. I will post more about the food after my second trip to the place when I can try something else. We also had the appetizer sampler which was 2 eggrolls 2 spring rolls and 2 crab rangoon for $6.95.

Mongolian trio Empress Chicken Jude and Jenn at dinner

• atufft's Profile Photo

Schmidt's Sausage Haus: A Little Bit of Germany in America

by atufft Written Feb 13, 2009

This place claims to have been in this location since 1886, and given the historic nature of the building its not hard to believe. This place is famous because during the 2008 US Presidential Campaign humor was made when candidate John McCain dined with a handful of German town business leaders while Barack Obama delivered a speech in Berlin to a crowd size estimated at 300,000 live Germans, even larger crowd than gathered during President Reagan's famed "Tear Down These Wall Mr. Gorbachev" speech. Humor aside, the German music and food at this place is an ongoing Columbus, Ohio tradition.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus
    • Music
    • Beer Tasting

• atufft's Profile Photo

Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse: Indoor/Outdoor Steak and Wine in Short North

by atufft Written Feb 13, 2009

I didn't actually eat here but found this place during a stroll through Short North. The architectural layout of the place makes it worth consideration in any case. The website reveals the Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse Restaurant explains that it is inside the restored Union Rail Station. The Hyde Park Steakhouse is one of 14 such franchises, most of them in Ohio, and mostly within urban settings such as this.

Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse, Columbus, OH
    • Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• abi_maha's Profile Photo

Udipi Cafe: South Indian Delicacies at it's best!

by abi_maha Updated Jul 2, 2009

This place gives Bangalore's famous Adigas and MTR a run for it's money! Awesome awesome food, so good that it reminded me of my mom's cooking. They spread out a mealy yummy buffet on weekdays for just $7 per person and it is one of the yumiest South Indian meal I have had in my life!
    It is an entirely vegetarian place and the spread is so good we would recommend pls skip your breakfast and head here for a brunch. They have the following on the menu- uddin vada, onion utappa, idli fries, sambar, rasam, raita, plain white rice, bisibele bhath, paranthas, dal fry, channa fry, brinjal curry, paayasam. And every item was superb!

Favorite Dish: The Vada, sambar, idly fries, bisibelebhath and the paayasam :D Yummy! Made to perfection really. We left an additional $3 tip for the chef after a meal that made me loop my belt a little looser!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant: A Little Bit of Germany in Columbus

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Mar 11, 2004

Located in the heart of Columbus' "German Village," Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant has been serving authentic German dishes, and their own concoctions, since 1886. It is now operated by the fifth generation of Schmidt's. Old world decor, costumed servers and the quaint setting make it a memorable place to eat.

Favorite Dish: The "Bahama Mama" is a specialty here. It is a large weiner of coarse ground beef and pork, hickory smoked and a little spicey. I had mine with a side of potato pancakes. Chocoholics will love the Fudge Pie for desert.

All Dressed up at Schmidt's Sausage Haus

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Villa Nova: Villa Nova

by lashr1999 Written Aug 21, 2005

The surroundings were nice. Hanging on the walls were license plates from different states as well as several colorful posters. The menu has traditional items like spaghetti and ravioli and also appetizers such as buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks. All the food was reasonably priced. My meal which was pasta with white sauce and vegetables was very tasty. Jess found her dish a bit boring. We had to play a game of good old Pac-Man on our way out.

Favorite Dish: The pasta with white sauce and vegetables was good. There is a special name for this but I forgot it. Just look at the menu and look at the ingrediants to find the dish.

Villa Nova-Jess playing pac man

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Schmidt's Sausage Haus: Schmidt'z Sausage Haus, October 2004

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 16, 2005

Greetings from German Village, the largest, privately funded restoration project in the country. Schmidt's Restaurant and Banquet Haus located in a national registered historic sight, offers you traditional German-American fare served with Legendary Hospitality.

You can find Schmidt's in a historic brick livery stable at 240 E. Kossuth St. and Purdy Alley, (the jog in Kossuth St. follows and old stream bed). Schmidt's Restaurant und Sausage Haus is the culmination of an old German family business started in Columbus in 1886.

Favorite Dish: Schmidt's specializes in original German and American dinners, sandwiches, mouth watering desserts, cocktails, and many German and micro brews by the bottle and on tap. We also feature beautiful upstairs banquet and meeting rooms as well as live German and American music on select nights

Kids going inside Schmidt's

• Cap City Diner: Home cooking made funky gourmet

by ColumbusGuy Written Apr 15, 2003

The cheapest and most crowded of the Cameron Mitchell restaurants, Cap City diner brings Mitchell's modern eclectic style to home-cooking favorites. Meatloaf, BLTs, Chili, Hamburgers, Mashed Potatoes are all "re-interpreted" as gourmet cuisine that will please both the gourmand and the McDonald's crowd alike. The decor is Faux-50's diner- somewhat like "Jackrabbit Slim's" from the movie "Pulp Fiction" without the cars. On weekends this place is very busy.

Favorite Dish: Meatloaf. With mashed potatoes and crispy onions and a bit of fruity chutney on top this is mmm-mm good.

Instant Answers: Columbus

Comments

Columbus Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Columbus restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Columbus sightseeing.