Wright Brother's Bicycle Shop, Dayton
A historical stop in Dayton, the Wright Cycle Company Complex includes the Wright Cycle Company, Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center, Aviation Trail Visitor Center and Museum. The history museum is excellent and the documentary films shown here are also worth seeing.
The Wright Brothers ran a bicycle shop in Dayton for about 16 years... well, not just a single shop, it actually occupied five different location throughout the years. They actually manufactured several models of bikes they designed, and they invented the reverse threads on the left pedal to keep if from unscrewing itself as the rider pedaled.
Only one of the five locations of their bike shop remains to this day, and it is located at 22 South Williams Street. They worked here from 1895 to 1897.
Today this building is included in the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
The other locations were 1005 West Third Street, 1034 West Third Street, 23 West Second Street, 1127 West Third Street.
The Wright Brothers Bicycle Shop is where the store the brothers owned while inventing the airplane. There is a museum next door to the shop. Over the years, the neighborhood became very unsafe. The past few years a huge effort has been made to renovate the area, though. The houses have been renovated and crime has been greatly reduced. It is now safe to visit. Be careful though, even though the immediate area is nice, a block or two away it gets really rough.
Dayton Aviation Heritage Historical Park is located in west Dayton. The focus of the park are the Wright Brothers and their creation of powered flight. The park consist of seven units.
The Wright Cycle Company
The fourth bicycle shop operated by the Wrights is the only building remaining as testament to the bicycle business.
Wilbur and Orville started their careers as printers and operated their second print shop, outside the home, here as Wright & Wright Job Printers. In this location, the Wrights edited and published newspapers for the West Side patrons, including the Dayton Tattler, written by Paul Laurence Dunbar.
Huffman Prairie Flying Field
On this 84-acre patch of rough pasture outside Dayton, the Wright brothers learned to control and maneuver their powered machine and taught themselves to fly during 1904 and 1905. Visitors are urged to call 937-425-0008 for field closures.
Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center
Exhibits focus on the Wright brothers' development of the world's first practical airplane at Huffman Prairie in 1904 and 1905, their flying school starting in 1910.
Adjacent to the Interpretive Center, the Wright Memorial on Wright Brothers Hill is a 27-acre designed landscape honoring Dayton's native sons.
Dayton History at Carillon Park
Wright Brothers Aviation Center
The world's first practical airplane, the 1905 Wright Flyer III, built by the Wright brothers and flown at Huffman Prairie, is the centerpiece exhibit.
Paul Laurence Dunbar House
Dunbar purchased this house for his mother in 1904 and completed his last work here before his death in 1906. This gifted and prolific writer produced over 400 poems, novels, plays, short stories, and lyrics.
Paul Lawrence Dunbar Site
This is the last of a series of bicycle and printing shops the Wright brothers had in town. This is where they did the assembly of parts for their first aircraft that we flown at Kittyhawk.