Dayton Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Dayton

• Voyageuse30's Profile Photo

Dayton transportation options

by Voyageuse30 Updated Mar 9, 2004

Dayton has bus service (RTA), but no train or subway. If you don't have a car here, you can take the bus around the city or hire a cab (or walk- downtown Dayton itself isn't that large).

Dayton is a small enough city so that rush hour isn't too bad, so don't worry too much if you happen to get stuck in it.

If you're a pilot, you could fly into the small Dayton Wright Brothers airport. Other than that, if you're flying into Dayton, you'll probably arrive at Dayton International Airport.

• kdoc13's Profile Photo

Dayton International Airport

by kdoc13 Updated Apr 4, 2011

The exit off I-70 to the airport

Its the only airport in town. Luckily it is cheaper than flying into Cincinnati, Columbus, or Indy and then driving in. Also, there are a bunch of major carriers like American, United, and Delta which fly here. A complete list is available on the web page, along with directions, and car rental info.

• twofishblu's Profile Photo

City Bus

by twofishblu Written Dec 28, 2004

The only mass transit in Dayton is by bus. There are a few motorized trolleys too. It's pretty cheap, but I'd recommend you know where you're going beforehand. Some of the neighborhoods are rough, and you don't want to accidently get off at the wrong place. Busses in the outlying suburb areas do run, but not real often...so again, know your schedule and don't get stuck somewhere.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Dayton International Airport

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 30, 2009

After flying their famous first manned flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina in 1903, the Wright Brothers launched the Wright Flyer III in Dayton, Ohio in 1905; this aircraft has been called "the world's first practical airplane." In this town where manned aviation really began, several businessmen--notably the President of Frigidaire, the President of National Cash Register, and the Vice President of General Motors--founded Dayton Airport in 1926. After the airport operations ceased just a few years later, the City of Dayton took over the airport in 1936 and the runways were expanded. The airport continued to grow through World War II and beyond.

The airport is located about 14 miles north of downtown Dayton, OH. The airport handles some 3 million passengers each year, making it just the 76th largest airport in the US, though it continues to expand. About 10 airlines serve Dayton, and ground transportation options include several taxi companies and rental car companies.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Taxis around Dayton

by Ewingjr98 Updated Dec 26, 2009

Wow... most unique and scary cab ride ever. I grabbed the first taxi at the taxi stand in the airport and told the driver which hotel I was staying at. He said sure, no problem, and off we went. A few minutes into our trip, the driver said, in very broken English, that he didn't know my hotel; he handed me his Garmin and asked me to punch in the address. I didn't know the exact address, but I knew the general area, so I pulled out my droid and began to guide him. He followed my guidance several miles as I discovered he was from Russia, though he had the Afghan name of Ikram. Eventually he must've decided to ask directions, so repelled over at a gas station. I swore up and down I knew where to go. The reluctantly agreed, and we arrived a short time later to my relief.

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Getting to Dayton Aviation

by Toughluck Updated Nov 6, 2006

From the Expressway

From US 35, take South Broadway north to West Third (unnamed red road going east to west or left to right). Go east (right) one block to South Williams. The Hoover Block is on the corner, but it looks like a regular building from this side. Turn south (right) on Williams. You'll see a walking mall and the Bicycle Shop. Parking is around the block at the next left. I missed the first two times, but then I didn't have any maps to guide me.

Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park
    16 South Williams Street

• Karing's Profile Photo

Because Dayton is not a large...

by Karing Updated Sep 12, 2002

Because Dayton is not a large city, our public transportation is somewhat limited. We do have a countywide bus system, but I'd suggest renting a car. If you are staying downtown, you could probably get by on foot.

• Aragina's Profile Photo

Dayton Internation Airport....

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Dayton Internation Airport. Most airlines fly into Dayton form Hub airports.
    Miami Valley RTA. Dayton have a good Bus system. More details from 937 226 1144.
    Driving is really the best way of getting around Dayton, and everything is well sign posted and maps easy to purchase.
    Dayton does not have a train service.

• Public transortation Dayton, Ohio

by Student.Sanders Written Nov 16, 2009

Hello,

My name is Christophe Sanders, I am a bachelor degree student from HEC Montreal, a business and management university located in Montreal, Canada (www.hec.ca).
    My teammates and I were given the task to present and analyse public transportation in Dayton, Ohio (the city was picked randomly, every team picked from a worldwide sample).

We found a lot of useful information on the RTA's website, but we do need a little more data.

Here is what is left to find out for us :

About capacity and use of network (buses+trolleybuses);
    -total km network
    -total annual passengers
    -total number of km traveled
    -total number of vehicules

About input measure;
    -amount of liters of gasoline consumed annually
    -amount of employees
    -amount of effective driving hours

About operation mode;
    -is RTA public ?
    -is RTA private ?
    -is it a partnership between both (PPP)
    -other type ?

About revenues;
    -revenue in provenance of customers/users
    -government transfers
    -municipal transfers
    -regional transfers
    -private source
    -other revenues ?
    -Total of revenues

About environment;
    -is there any environmental measures ?
    -hybrid vehicules or low carbon emission vehicule ?
    -proportion of hybrid vehicule in the complete fleet details

If possible, please put me in contact with somebody who could answer my questions. I know this is very technical put I couldn’t find it anywhere on RTA's website nor on the internet. I have contacted by phone and email RTA's customer service and got nothing out of it.

Christophe Sanders
    Bachelor degree student
    HEC Montréal

• Toughluck's Profile Photo

Getting to Dunbar House

by Toughluck Written Nov 6, 2006
    Map to Dunbar Home

The Home of Paul Lawrence Dunbar is but a six blocks from the Aviation Center. Unless it is a busy day, this mile walk is best done in a car. Have the Rangers at the Aviaition Center call ahead. The Ohio Historical Society operates the home and is not able to maintain standard hours, especially in the off season.

• National/State Park

Instant Answers: Dayton

Comments

Dayton Transportation

Reviews and photos of Dayton transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dayton sightseeing.