Gambier Travel Guide

  • The Middle Path entrance onto Kenyon campus
    The Middle Path entrance onto Kenyon...
    by mtncorg
  • Ransom Hall and its 'crows'
    Ransom Hall and its 'crows'
    by mtncorg
  • Church of the Holy Spirit in early spring sunshine
    Church of the Holy Spirit in early...
    by mtncorg

Gambier Things to Do

  • mtncorg's Profile Photo

    by mtncorg Updated Apr 4, 2011

    Kenyon College and the associated small village of Gambier are laid out atop Gambier Hill. It is said that school founder, Philander Chase, remarked when he originally made it to the top of the hill, "This will do." Both the college and the town are bisected by a path - the Middle Path - oriented along a north-south axis. The Path is book marked by the college's most historic buildings - Old Kenyon on the south, the oldest permanent building at Kenyon; and Bexley Hall to the north; the original Episcopal seminary that is now the Art Department (the seminary having moved off campus to Rochester New York long ago). It is on the Middle Path that you will find one and all going about their journey at some time or another during the course of the day.

    The Middle Path bisects town and college
    Related to:
    • Study Abroad
    • Historical Travel
    • Archeology

    Was this review helpful?

  • mtncorg's Profile Photo

    by mtncorg Updated Apr 4, 2011

    Built in 1910, Ransom Hall lies along the Middle Path just south of the Church of the Holy Spirit. Within its walls, the college Admissions Office resides. Atop the building, sculpted crows cock their heads in a word game aimed at the Kenyon poet, John Crowe Ransom, for whom the building is named.

    Ransom Hall and its 'crows'
    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Study Abroad
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • mtncorg's Profile Photo

    by mtncorg Written Apr 26, 2008

    Located just southeast of the main college entrance, the Church of the Holy Spirit demonstrates the school's Episcopalian roots and heritage. Dating to 1871, the funds for the church were provided as a gift from a Episcopalian parish in New York to their former rector, Gregory Bedell, who in 1859 came to Gambier to become the Dean of the Seminary. Pews are arranged at right angles to the chancel, facing each other across a central aisle - possibly as a nod to 'English College chapel' architecture. The center aisle is also not oriented along the normal east-west axis but along a north-south axis as a poke at the Catholic church. Kenyon College has separated itself from its seminary beginnings and the church is also home today to not only the local Episcopal parish but on Saturdays, to the local Catholic community. as well.

    Church of the Holy Spirit in early spring sunshine Congregation seating face-to-face
    Related to:
    • Religious Travel
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Gambier

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

82 travelers online now

Comments

Gambier Travel Guide
Map of Gambier

View all Gambier hotels