Sports Events in Ohio

Cleveland - Lakewood Park
  • Rocky River Reservation - Multipurpose Trail
    Rocky River Reservation - Multipurpose...
    Cleveland - Edgewater Park

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Ohio

• ant1606's Profile Photo

Cycling around Cleveland

by ant1606 Updated Oct 5, 2013

I've been frequently visiting Cleveland lately and exploring by bicycle is a good opportunity. I've used a friend's bike a few times until I decided to buy one for use when I'm there. The Cleveland area has an interesting Metro Parks system which mainly develops around the Cuyahoga River and the Rocky River, the local mayor water streams ending up in Lake Erie. These two form the so-called Emerald Necklace, a truly enjoyable green area.featuring paved multipurpose trails (no shared traffic).
    The Towpath, mostly unpaved, is another good riding option. It follows the Cuyahoga River and I explored the portion between Cleveland and Akron.

GPS tracks of some of my rides:
    Bedford Reservation - 101 Km (63 mi.) ride
    Towpath - 100 Km ride
    Towpath - 75 Km ride
    Cleveland Metro Parks - Chagrin Reservations - 70 Km ride
    Cleveland Metro Parks - Rocky River Reservation - 65 Km ride

• traveldave's Profile Photo

The Great American Ballpark

by traveldave Updated Nov 13, 2010

Home of Major League Baseball's Cincinnati Reds, the Great American Ballpark opened in 2003 to give the Reds their own stadium and to replace the antiquated Cinergy Field (formerly Riverfront Stadium). The old stadium had been shared by the Reds and the National Football League's Cincinnati Bengals.

The new 42,271-seat ballpark offers open views of the Ohio River. One of its most notable features is the Power Stacks, two towers in right center field that resemble the smokestacks of steamboats that were common on the Ohio River in the nineteenth century. They emit smoke, flash lights, and launch fireworks whenever the home team hits a home run.

Reds fans will also appreciate the Reds Hall of Fame Museum and statues of such legendary team members as Frank Robinson and Ted Kluszewski.

• traveldave's Profile Photo

Paul Brown Stadium

by traveldave Updated Nov 13, 2010

Home of the National Football League's Cincinnati Bengals, Paul Brown Stadium opened in 2000 to give the Bengals their own stadium and to replace the antiquated Cinergy Field (formerly Riverfront Stadium). The old stadium had been shared by the Bengals and Major League Baseball's Cincinnati Reds.

While the Bengals have not been one of the better teams in the National Football League, they do have one of the better venues in football. The 65,600-seat stadium features four acres (two hectares) of heated natural turf and an 88,000-square-foot (8,175-square-meter) Teflon canopy.

The new stadium was named after Paul Brown, the founder of the Cleveland Browns, and coach who brought professional football to Cincinnati when he founded the Bengals in 1967.

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Cincinnati Reds

by DueSer Written May 3, 2010

You know what's annoying? Getting a whole page written up and then getting kicked off the internet and losing everything I just wrote. Urgh!

So, I'm going to try this again - my goal in life is to go to all the professional baseball stadiums and I am glad to report that I have now been to the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, home of the Reds. Here is my review of their stadium:

1) Arrival & Departure
    I give this a 3 1/2. I got to park UNDER the stadium, something I've never been able to do at any other ballpark I've been to so that was unique and also handy because the exit to the parking is right by the entrance to the highway so that's very convenient. However, the street that goes along the front of the stadium is blocked off before and during a game. If I hadn't come several hours before the game to check things out I'm sure I would've needed to drive around at least once before I figured out where to go and I wouldn't have been able to do that with this street blocked. That's not very handy. Also, I was lucky to get to park under the stadium. I saw a lot of people walking in so who knows where they parked. Depending on where you find a spot, this could be very inconvenient.

2) Food
    I give this a 2. I ordered a hot dog and what was presented before me could only be described as Caucasian. I don't want my hot dog to be as light as I am. That is NOT the color of hot dogs, in my opinion. Luckily, I glanced up at the menu and changed my order to a "Kosher Dog," which was more what I consider to be a hot dog's natural shade. Now, I saw a lot of people happily eating the flesh-colored dogs and it didn't seem to bother them at all but people eat a lot of strange things and that doesn't make it right so I'm marking the park down for their oddly-colored dogs.

3) Comfort
    I give this a 4. I thought getting in and around the ballpark was very easy. The aisles around the food stand area was wide enough to accomodate a large number of people and the rows of seats were nicely spaced. The seats themselves were also comfortable.

4) Enjoyment
    I give this a 4 1/2. They didn't have a lot of silly entertainment between innings, which I appreciate. They have a nice riverboat in the outfield area that can be used for large groups. Also, the boat's smokestacks shoot fireworks every once in a while and that's always fun. It's a unique feature that incorporates the history of the city so kudos.

So my overall average score is: 3 - right in the middle, which is how I feel about this park. It's not the most amazing experience I've ever had but it was pleasant and I had fun.

I should note I deducted a 1/2 point for the name of the stadium. I think it's rather smug and pretentious to name your stadium "The Great American Ballpark." What's that saying about all the other ballparks? Is the one in Cinci somehow better? I don't think so. Unless it's named for a sponsoring company that's named "Great America" or something like that, and I'm not aware of it if it is, then this name is, I think, kind of obnoxious.

Equipment: Being right by the river, breezes off the water help control the heat but you still need sunscreen for day games and, especially because of that breeze off the river, I'd suggest a jacket for those early Spring and late Fall games.

• DueSer's Profile Photo

Cleveland Indians

by DueSer Written Feb 1, 2009

Continuing my review of Major League Baseball stadiums...

Jacobs Field was the home of the Cleveland Indians when I was there in June of 2002. Evidently they've gone and joined the ridiculous trend in professional stadiums lately - changed their name to a totally non-descript corporate name that tells you absolutely nothing about the place or the team or the city. Lame! So Jacobs Field is now Progressive Field. Progressive it ain't.

1)Arrival & Departure
    I give this stadium, on a scale of 1-5, 5 being best, a 3. Weighing against it is the fact that the stadium is right down in the city's busiest area where parking is at a premium. I had to park quite a ways from the stadium - big minus - and, coming back to my car late at night and ALONE, I was constantly looking nervously over my shoulder - Very Big Minus - but, part of the walk to and from the stadium is via indoor walkways. A mall connects to ... something else, I think it was a convention center or something like that, which connects to the stadium and you never have to go outside for that part - Big Plus.

2) Food
    They offer the typical and it is good. Nothing spectacular. I give it a 3 as well.

3) Comfort
    I give them a 4 for this. The seats are comfortable, the rows are a reasonable distance apart, there are tables and chairs in the back by the food stands, and the food area doesn't seem like you're in a dark tunnel like some stadiums, and there are plenty of bathrooms. God help you if you happen to attend a game during the annual moth invasion though! (See the 2007 play off series if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

4)Enjoyment
    I give this a 4. They don't have any wacky highjinks going on and as such it's just baseball to enjoy, no floor show. That's good. I came to see the game and have to be in just the right mood to enjoy some of the "other entertainment." The stadium is very close to the lake so there are seagulls in the outfield oftentimes. That amused me. However, the whole Indian thing makes me a little uncomfortable. Granted, they are better about it than the Atlanta Braves and their whole stupid "chop" thing they do, and I can understand that it's been the Cleveland Indians for so long that to change it now would be weird but, I guess I just wish they'd never named it that in the first place - although the Cleveland Moths doesn't have a very good ring to it;-)

Overall, it's a nice stadium. I'm glad I've been but I'm not dying to go back. I give it an average score of 3.

• Adventure Travel

• deecat's Profile Photo

Beautiful Golf Course.....

by deecat Updated May 9, 2006

Right next to our Time Share, the Apple Valley Golf Course resides. It is a beautiful course with rolling countryside, a variety of trees, and plenty of water harzards.

The course is 3421 yards long with a rating of 72.4/122. It has 4 par 3's, 10 par 4's, and 4 par 5's. Water comes into play on 9 (1/2) of the holes. 16 of the 18 holes have sand traps.

There are three sets of tees: Black for excellent golfers; Blue for men golfers; and White for Women and Senior golfers.

White 150 posts and sprinkler heads are measured to the middle of the greens. They give one clublength relief from railroad ties if they interfere with your swing on green side bunker hole #4.
    White stakes are out of bounds. Yellow stakes are Water Hazards. Red stakes are lateral water hazards..

Equipment: You need a shirt with a collar; shorts should come just above the knee; have to wear shirts and golf shoes without cleats.

You need golf glove, golf clubs, and golf balls. Since this is such a hilly course, you need to rent a cart.

The extra photographs show the clubhouse (front and back) and a sample score card.

• Spa and Resort
    • Golf

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

Little Miami River scenic trail

by Jim_Eliason Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a 72 mile long bike trail beginning east of Cinncinatti in Milford and extending roughly along the Little Miami river to Springfield. The trail has parking roughly ever 7-10 miles

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Excellent Biking Trails

by lashr1999 Written Sep 22, 2004

There are some excellent biking trails which lead you through nature. See birds, wildlife and foliage along the way.

Equipment: A bike!

• Birdwatching

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

Sailboating, Water Skiing etc...

by WILDEFLOWER Written Apr 10, 2003

We sail on the weekends at the Club. Seadoo's, seadooing, water skiing, fishing and swimming.

Equipment: Bathing Suits

32 Reviews - 45 Photos
Mason Hotels
7 Reviews - 2 Photos

Instant Answers: Ohio

Comments

Ohio Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Ohio sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ohio sightseeing.
Map of Ohio