Toledo Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Toledo

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Tiny Packo's: Greatest Hungarian hot dogs~

by Yaqui Written Feb 20, 2013

Tony was Hungarian-American and lived in a Hungarian neighborhood, Tony’s creation was called the Hungarian hot dog. Until Toledo-born Tony invented it, there was no such thing as a Hungarian hot dog, say those who know the Old Country's food.

Packo's food was an instant hit in the neighborhood. Within months of opening, Tony and Rose knocked out a wall and expanded their first shop, in what is now called the Consaul Tavern. By 1935, success had taken them to the point where they could buy a building of their own. They purchased the wedge-shaped establishment at Front and Consaul. The building houses part of today's Tony Packo's, but with a few more additions. The restaurant is still run by the Packo family…Tony and Rose's children; Tony Jr. and Nancy.

• kateylou's Profile Photo

Mancy's Steakhouse: Best Steak in the Universe

by kateylou Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is a large, old restaurant in Toledo. The atmosphere is romantic and dimly lit without being TOO dim. Better make a reservation because this has long been one of the most popular restaurants in town.

The service is exceptional. The servers actually de-crumb the tablecloth for you between courses. The servers know everything about the food and how it's cooked. Very professional.

This is a special restaurant that we go to on special occasions. Get a little dressed up. You would not feel appropriately dressed if you wore jeans.

Favorite Dish: The SURF AND TURF at Mancy's may very well be the best meal I've ever eaten in my entire life. (And I've eaten at plenty of Chicago steakhouses!) Beautiful lobster tail with side of heated butter, filet mignon cooked to perfection. I get my steak with a pepper rub, but you can also have it with bernaise or hollandasie sauce, or with garlic.

The baked potatoes are enormous!! I usually get the hash browns and take them home, so I can save room for dessert.

They have a dessert for two that is some kind of glorious mousse inside of a box made out of chocolate with raspberries on top. If you have room, you will be happy. But, after the steak and potato and salad and bread and champagne, you probably won't have room!!

It's expensive, but completely worth it. You could save alot of money if you went at lunch and skipped the alcohol.

• johnste's Profile Photo

Gianno's Italian Bistro in Maumee, southern Toledo: Great Italian food and Italian seafood

by johnste Updated Apr 4, 2011

We've been to Italy 3 times and are fans of the 'slow food' movement (i.e., made from scratch). I found this review in the Toledo paper: http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200512 22/ART12/512220342
    We arrived without reservations right after a large party. We also mistakenly entered thru a side door that had been propped for ventilation. The maire d' took it in stride when we popped out from behind him (young Asian guy - really cool - read on to find out why). We were seated immediately. Our waitress was Emily. She was attentive without being obtrusive or constant interruptions.
    We had the calamari appetizer - tender rings served with sweet bell peppers and jalapenos - a little zingy and sweet. Much better than the usual marinara dipping sauce. We ate every morsel. My hubby had the caesar salad and I the house - they were fine. He had the pickerel with pistachio crust - a miracle of tenderness and crunch. I had the lobster ravioli (dell'aragosta) - fantastic sauce with a little zip of roaster red pepper, very filling meal. I had a hard time giving up one ravioli for hubby to taste. Hubby had a white wine by the glass (I've forgotten which - there was a flyer on the table). I had a glass of the house white, an Ohio wine, that was a pleasant accompaniment.
    We had noticed that our food was a little slow arriving, but we could see the large party then Emily told us that she'd informed the maitre d' of the slowness of the kitchen... We got a very large discount on the meal without asking.
    The building is worth noting, too: 1836! Nice history about it on the front of the menu. Attractively and thoughtfully restored.
    The ladies room was large and clean, the decor pleasing, but, like the review says, it's a little loud. Not painful by any means, just noticeable. The ceiling is a hard material... wonder if they've ever considered some type of baffling? But we can see why this place is a success! We will definitely be back. I left the Mapquest directions in the glove compartment!

• Wine Tasting
    • Architecture

• Yorick12's Profile Photo

Tony Packos: A Toledo Tradition

by Yorick12 Written May 7, 2010

Tony Packos has been a staple in Toledo since 1932. There's now many locations in the Toledo area, but go to the original! It's claim to fame is it's signed hot dog buns. Celebs have been signing buns for thirty some years and the hang on the walls. They have everyone from Bobbi Kennedy to Bill Cosby.

Favorite Dish: They're most famous for their hungarian hot dogs, but I go for the mac and cheese and veggie chili.

• Char.Love's Profile Photo

J & G's pizza palace!!: Greek and Italian!

by Char.Love Written Aug 18, 2008

This is my absolute favorite restaurant in the entire world, and I've been all over. The food is great and the atmosphere is so down to Earth. When I go I take a friend or my significant other, we split a pizza and a gyro platter. The gyros here are to DIE for and you've never had one until you had one here. The pizza is delicious too, everything is handmade on the site, and you can see the gyro's spinning on the spit int he open area of the front. Just walking by this place makes me hungry! The are only open for dinner, 4- midnight most nights, and they are VERY busy on weekend nights, you can sometimes have a 30 minute wait if you come during dinner rush or with a large group, but it is worth it!! If you have Julie as a waitress give her a good tip, she's the best. My parents went here before I did, it's a true gem. There's parking in back and it's a very safe part of town! You can also order take out.

Favorite Dish: Pizza, gyros, cheese bread, spaghetti, you name it!!

• Char.Love's Profile Photo

Georgio's International: Georgio's International- French dining, etc.

by Char.Love Written Aug 18, 2008

Delicious food in a very nice little restaurant, located next to the valentine theater. The service is great and you get very classy dishes here, although it can be a little pricy! Try not to wear jeans if you eat here, but it's not a black tie kind of place either.

There's plenty of parking and free valet parking if you'd like.

May want to make a reservation for a Friday or Saturday night, or for valentine's day or something.

• Wine Tasting

• kateylou's Profile Photo

Tony Packo's: Not yo mama's hotdogs

by kateylou Written Oct 27, 2006

The ambience here is the best! There are several locations around town, but the best location is the original Packo's in East Toledo. This is a restaurant for families and the atmosphere is casual. You can push tables together, so it's a good place to go if you have a big group. I think there's event a party room in the back if you have a special event. We've been to Tony Packo's for birthdays and we always take out-of-town guests here.

Tony Packo's was made famous by Toledo native Jamie Farr while he played Corpoal Klinger on the T.V. show "M.A.S.H."

There are hundreds of hot dog buns signed by celebrities encased in plastic and displayed on the walls of the restaurant. Maybe you will find former President Clinton, figure skater Scott Hamilton, or actress Zsa Zsa Gabor's buns! It's fun to walk around and find your favorite celeb buns while you wait for your food.

There's a full bar.

Favorite Dish: The hot dogs are famous for a reason. They are really more like bratwurst and have a great flavor. You can get your dog loaded up with Packo sauce (kinda like chili), onions, and cheese.

Also, don't miss the chicken paprikas. It's made with homemade noodles and it's so freaking good.

Apple strudel a la mode for dessert if you still have room!

• The Oaken Bucket: My favorite fish - pickerel

by mezaleski Written Aug 30, 2004

Movies posters are a theme. But the food is the reason to stop here. Not too many places serve real roquefort dressing! You'll love the garlic bread. The steaks are top notch.

Favorite Dish: My favorite fish is pickerel. Delicate and not fishy tasting. You get a man-sized fillet done the way you like it.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

The Maumee Bay Brewing Company: Tasty brews and good noshing

by yooperprof Written May 1, 2003

Dining al fresco. . . in summer

The Brew Pub phenomenon was, I think, a positive development of the 1990s: places where you could enjoy decent (if predictable) food and better-than-average beers in buildings that were usually historical interesting and well-preserved. Brew pubs feature beers which are always fresh, and if they aren't always exceptionally good, they are nonetheless a welcome break from the monotonous and bland products served up by the megamultinationalcorps. The Maumee Bay Brewing Company is an excellent example of the American Brew Pub - I thought their Red Ale was very good indeed - especially with the Mixed Berry Pie that was served up for dessert.

• Beer Tasting

• Bagpiper's and Tony Packos are...

by hudemont Written Aug 24, 2002

Bagpiper's and Tony Packos are excellent, but there are two Lebanese restaurants that are among the best you will ever find: Beirut (Monroe Street near Douglas) and Byblos (Reynolds near Airport)--both are owned by the same folks and have excellent food at reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: Hommus

Instant Answers: Toledo

Comments

Toledo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Toledo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toledo sightseeing.