Wapakoneta Travel Guide

• Favorites
    by Melanie_Full
  • Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum Exterior
    Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum...
    by Ironic1
  • Wapakoneta
    by Melanie_Full

Wapakoneta Things to Do

• Ironic1's Profile Photo
    Neil Armstrong Air & Space Museum Exterior

by Ironic1 Written Apr 19, 2003

Wapakoneta is the home of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong, and a fine air and space museum is there to tell the story of human flight. Many artifacts of Neil Armstrong's life and the space race are there. Many of the exhibits are interactive and fun for kids. The large dome in the center of the museum is a planetarium that has a looped presentation that runs all the time. It's a fun place to spend a rainy afternoon.

The architecture of the museum itself is interesting. Critics said it looks like a golf ball that smashed into an ant hill, but I like it.

• Museum Visits

Wapakoneta Hotels

Wapakoneta Favorites

• by Melanie_Full Written Oct 5, 2002

Favorite thing: You MUST visit our wonderful friend, Jim Bowsher's home on Wood St. off of Bellefontaine St. His is the house with all the giant rocks around it. Everyone is always welcome there. Just take the path through the front driveway ALL the way to the far rear of the house, enjoying your journey along the way. When you reach a clearing, you will find the 'Temple of Tolerance'--I believe our town's most awesome monument. There's a lot of history in this place. You can feel it most in Jim's back yard.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Wapakoneta is coming to town when I was very small, with my grandparents to the Happy Humpty drive-in restaurant. It's now the Lucky Steer--the Lucky Moo, as my son called it when HE was small. I grew up in tiny Uniopolis, only a few miles away, so coming to Wapak was a big deal.

Instant Answers: Wapakoneta

Comments

Wapakoneta Travel Guide
Map of Wapakoneta