Safety Tips in Ohio

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Ohio

• ant1606's Profile Photo

Weather

by ant1606 Written May 16, 2014

Bitter cold in winter, hot and muggy at times in summer especially near Lake Erie where lake effect is more evident with plenty of cloudy days.
    Days-ahead weather forecasts are generally accurate for the area, therefore reliable and worth a peek before going out.

Strong storm - May 2014

• ant1606's Profile Photo

Lake Erie Water Snake

by ant1606 Written Oct 13, 2012

This snake (Nerodia Sipedon Insularum) is unharmful, quite shy and leaves when approached.
    It's a threatened species, therefore the "Warning and Danger" tip is for the snake!
    Should you meet one, enjoy watching it and please let it live.

Nerodia Sipedon Insularum
    • Eco-Tourism

FLOODS

by mtncorg Written Apr 3, 2008

Early spring brings more sunlight and warmer afternoon temperatures, even to northern Ohio, where it slowly melts away the white, wintry landscape. The weekend I flew to Ohio, the news was all about big floods in Missouri. Well, there was plenty of high water in spots in Ohio, too. One place that I had hoped to visit was the former communal village of Zoar just south of Canton. The Tuscarawas River had other ideas. The direct link off of I-77 on Ohio route 212 was closed. The low-lying bridge looked like it spends considerable amounts of time under water. Being clever, I tried to approach Zoar from the south. After driving through the town of Dover - known as the home of the Warther Carvings - I cam to another sign announcing another road closure due to high water. Zoar would have to wait for another trip. I noticed a few days later in the USA Today a note about the dike around Zoar was leaking thereby threatening buildings in the lower part of the town. "High Water" was a sign that I would come across more than once on my travels through northern Ohio.

Zoar exit submerged in Tuscarawas River
    • Archeology

WEATHER

by mtncorg Written Apr 3, 2008

Winter takes its own sweet time here in northern Ohio. It is not the heart of the Rust Belt for nothing. Spring in Oregon comes when the calendar says so. Daffodils reign supreme as do flowering blossoms of plums and cherries at the end of March. I did not think about the weather much when planning my Easter trip to Ohio. Oh well, it only snowed 6 inches one of the nights I was there. The rest of the time was simply cold, but sunny. Nothing that the Subaru I had rented couldn't handle!

Springtime in Ohio No Easter lilies at Hiram College Easter drama at Shrine of Sorrowful Mother
    • Religious Travel

SEASONAL HOURS

by mtncorg Written Apr 3, 2008

Tourism in Ohio is a seasonal affair. Many places are only open from the end of May (Memorial Day) to the beginning of September (Labor Day) or early October. A few places extend openings to April. I was visiting over Easter which was in March this year. Many of the sites I visited were still well locked up for the season. Only a few of the Presidential museums were open. The best one can say is that there won't be a lot of others visiting at the same time as you are.

Garfield Monument -- closed Warren Harding Home - come back in 2 months William McKinley Tomb - closed for the winter Fairport Museum - looks nice from the outside
    • National/State Park

No Photographs Inside Museums

by deecat Written May 15, 2006

It is discouraging sometimes when going into museums where taking photographs is not allowed. That happened several times on our trip. The time that it upset me the most was in Canton and "The First Ladies Library and Historic Site". There were so many beautiful items that I wanted to take pictures of. When I walked into the place, I did not see a sign; thus, I snapped the picture you see of the First Ladies gowns. Oh, boy, did I receive a tongue lashing.

Of course I indicated how sorry I was, but I was watched closely thereafter.

I then asked why that was a rule, and, to my surprise, I discovered that the insurance insurance companies forbid it. They are afraid that if people take photographs of these valuable items, then thieves will be "in the know". I can see the point.

I hope this warning tip has enlightened you as to the reasons. It was a lesson learned for me.

First Ladies Historic Site--gowns
    • Women's Travel
    • Museum Visits

SLOW DOWN!

by deecat Updated May 9, 2006

A warning to all of you who plan to visit the Amish Area in Ohio, which includes the following counties plus a few more: Holmes, Knox, Wayne, Tuscarawas, Coshocton, Licking.

You just need to slow down in all ways. The roads are curved and filled with hills and dales, There are Mennonites on slow-moving tractors and Amish in horse-drawn carriages. In addition, the pace of life is slower (and probably more meaningful). I assure you, if you push your "patience button", you will be happier, see and do more, and enjoy your experiences ever so much.

Another reason that you need to be slower and to pay close attention is because so many streets have markings for a turn lane before you have time to react Many of the towns that we visited had numerous one-way streets, which calls for close concentration when trying to find a specific location.

This photograph is of a warning sign that we saw in abundance throughout our travels. It is a picture of a Minnonite farmer on his tractor. Usually, this situation happens on the kind of roads where passing another vehicle is forbidden. Thus, you have to be patient and endure.

I risked life and limb to take this photograph. We had to pull off the side of the road; then I had to stand too close to the side of the road, trying to capture the image (even though I was squinting into the sun). But, I was determined to capture this warning sign image (or a similar one of an Amish buggy pulled by horses).

Frequently seen warning sign along the roads

Photographing in Amish Territory

by deecat Written May 8, 2006

It is quite important for you to know that the Amish DO NOT WISH TO HAVE THEIR PHOTOS TAKEN OF THEIR FACES. It has to do with a religious belief. I did not take any photos, except from the back. This particular photograph is a post card that I purchased because I knew that I could not take my own photo of Amish children (who, by the way, make for such an adorable photograph).

You are able to photograph their buggies, horses, houses, farms, products, outside of their schools, and even photos from the back view, where they cannot be identified.

Please respect the Amish beliefs and abide by their wishes.

On the other hand, the Mennonites live in this same area, and you are able to take their photographs.

A Post Card of Amish Children on the Way to School
    • Religious Travel

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Watch out for the Amish folks!

by Astrobuck Written Jan 7, 2005

In Eastern Ohio, the Amish people are among a significant part of the population. They live a very primitive lifestyle, especially that of transportation (horse and buggy). While driving, please be observant to these folks driving their horses and buggies down the road. True, they have bright orange placards on the rear of the carriages, but some of them may not see you coming, you may spook the horses, then.....well, you get the picture. Just be sure to keep an eye out.

• Very High crime cities

by denver1982 Written Jun 5, 2003

Compared to other parts of the country that I have lived, Ohio is pretty dangerous as a whole, especially its cities because of the terrible economy and extreme segregation.
    The one city which is absolutely a dangerous filthy pit is Cleveland, Cleveland has a very high unemployment rate and its not safe to flash money at all in Cleveland
    Columbus,Ohio has a very high crime rate also(Compared to Denver and Omaha)this guy came out of nowhere once, in a clean neighborhood and started kicking me and the police were very slow to respond because of all the violence that was going on
    Cincinnati has a very high crime rate because the of the extreme racism problems they have down there, all and all if your passing through I'd wait until you get to Indianapolis or Pittsburgh (safer cities than any youll find in Ohio) too stay the night on a road trip
    All and all, crime and oppurtunity go hand and hand and this state has so much of the first and so little of the other and this will be blatant to any tourist who comes to this state

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

There are some shallow places...

by WILDEFLOWER Written Sep 7, 2002

There are some shallow places in the lake, there is warning signs. There is not wanring signs from fallen trees or limbs sometimes floating in the lake. It is safe to join us for dance lessons in the shelter house!

Gene & Bryan Dance lessons

• Aragina's Profile Photo

Parts of Ohio lie in what is...

by Aragina Written Aug 25, 2002

Parts of Ohio lie in what is called 'Tornado Alley' and half the town of Xenia was destroyed when My shane was a little boy, I think the Native Americans knew something when they decided never to live there.

• rkyle2's Profile Photo

Watch for horses, buggies and Amish kids on roads.

by rkyle2 Written Aug 25, 2002

There is a large Amish population in Ohio. In many areas (on the scenic country roads) you'll see Amish folk. Watch for and be careful of horses, buggies and Amish children on the roadways. State law says that buggies must have red lights and a slow moving 'triangle' displayed on the back, but some Amish choose not to add these safety features.

• Ky_Happy_Dad's Profile Photo

Because Holmes County has a...

by Ky_Happy_Dad Written Aug 24, 2002

Because Holmes County has a large community of Amish, you will find many horses and buggies on the roads. They travel at an average of 5 to 8 mph. Obviously caution is in order, especially when cresting hills or going around corners. Also, many restaurants and other businesses in Holmes County will be closed on Sundays.

• I have lived in Ohio in both...

by ChiBronco Written Aug 24, 2002

I have lived in Ohio in both parts of the State and I have
    never seen a state so strict about its Speed limit laws.
    Lead Footers beware!.Drive safely and Lawfully when
    driving through Ohio or you will definately be pulled over.
    State troopers are plentiful here so dont even think about
    putting the hammer down here.Just a very friendly warning
    and I am not even a Police officer!.

Ohio Hotels

Independence Hotels
Perrysburg Hotels
6 Reviews - 5 Photos

Instant Answers: Ohio

Comments

Ohio Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Ohio warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ohio sightseeing.
Map of Ohio