Know about this?
As a member of both the Midwest and the Great Plains states, Oklahoma sees its share of tornadoes between April and September. Some of the worst storms in recent memory have hit Oklahoma City. Many who never lived here or never visited recall the tornado that ripped through here in the spring of 1999, now familiarly called the "May 3" tornado ($1 billion damage). The damage depicted below is from the May 9, 2003 tornado to Bethany, Oklahoma (within Oklahoma City), the second consecutive tornado to touch down within the city limits. These recent storms have caused $400 million in damage.
Results of the F5 Tornado that came through the southern edge of OKC in May '99
This was a normal suburban neighborhood. Now the houses are gone.
Watch out for those spring...
Watch out for those spring thunderstorms! Oklahoma is right in the middle of 'Tornado Alley', and it gets pretty wild around here, weatherwise.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Oklahoma City Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Kailua-Kona Hotels
- Gasparilla Island Hotels
- Rio de Janeiro
- Garner State Park Hotels
- Quepos Hotels
- Bad neighborhoods
- Belize Warnings and Dangers
- Vancouver Warnings and Dangers
- Durban Warnings and Dangers
- Panamá City Warnings and Dangers
- Jamaica Warnings and Dangers
- Cartagena Warnings and Dangers
- Dubrovnik Warnings and Dangers
- Cambodia Warnings and Dangers
- Seychelles Warnings and Dangers
- Laos Warnings and Dangers
- Petra Warnings and Dangers