Know about this?
As a member of both the Midwest and the Great Plains states, Oklahoma sees its share of tornadoes between April and September. Some of the worst storms in recent memory have hit Oklahoma City. Many who never lived here or never visited recall the tornado that ripped through here in the spring of 1999, now familiarly called the "May 3" tornado ($1 billion damage). The damage depicted below is from the May 9, 2003 tornado to Bethany, Oklahoma (within Oklahoma City), the second consecutive tornado to touch down within the city limits. These recent storms have caused $400 million in damage.
Results of the F5 Tornado that came through the southern edge of OKC in May '99
This was a normal suburban neighborhood. Now the houses are gone.
Watch out for those spring...
Watch out for those spring thunderstorms! Oklahoma is right in the middle of 'Tornado Alley', and it gets pretty wild around here, weatherwise.
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
Oklahoma City Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Ghatsila Hotels
- Pachmarhi Hotels
- Kuala Lumpur
- Ocho Rios Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Playa de Ponce Hotels
- Lloret de Mar
- Cebu City Warnings and Dangers
- Philadelphia Warnings and Dangers
- Charleston Warnings and Dangers
- Hyderabad Warnings and Dangers
- U. S. Virgin Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Manila Warnings and Dangers
- Penang Warnings and Dangers
- Places to Avoid
- Dubai Warnings and Dangers
- Baguio Warnings and Dangers
- Odessa Warnings and Dangers
- Paris Warnings and Dangers