Eugene Warnings and Dangers

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

U of O Art Museum closed for expansion

by caffeine_induced78 Updated Apr 4, 2011

U of O mus. of Art

The University of Oregon Museum of Art is closed for an expansion project that will double the area of the museum by winter of 2004. The Museum when open has an amazing collection of art from Japan, China, and Southeast Asia as well as travelling exhibits. It was easy for me to spend a half of a day here before - soon I'll have to book a full day.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

Poison Oak will leave you itching.

by caffeine_induced78 Written Jul 6, 2005

Rhus Diversiloba

If you are hiking on Mt. Pisgah, Spencers Butte, or Skinners Butte watch out for this plant and stay clear!

Rhus Diversiloba is the latin name for Poison Oak which is common in California, Western Oregon, and Western Washington. This plant if touched will result in a delayed onset of itchiness, redness, and vesicles on your skin. I manged to get this several times a year from romping around the forests when I was a kid.

Worse this was when we had controlled fires to burn the underbrush that we had collected at our house. Once we accidently put poison oak in the burn pile. Imagine how horrible it was to have this itching in your lungs and throat from breathing in the smoke.

Your biggest clue is that this plant will have a shiney gloss on the leaves. Usually appearing as a small shrub it can grow to be several feet high.
    In the winter it is better to play it safe on the trail and don't let anything unknown touch you. The leaves fall off in the winter and the resulting branches are bare, but still will make you miserable.

• Hiking and Walking

• AVOID THIS CRAPPY TOWN

by Christinaoreo Written Jun 9, 2005

The real danger is ending up here.
    The town is a meth freak haven!
    Hey, if gawking at the insanity caused by incest and family traditions of meth is your thing-come here!
    For a sane person-
    There is no reason to come here when there are so many other places in Oregon that are good. At least go to Portland!
    This town belongs in Arkansas-it is truely the drain of Oregon.

• bhorton's Profile Photo

that´s some heady denk herb, man

by bhorton Written Sep 6, 2002

Don´t be surprised if you think time has turned back 35 years, back to the flower generation. Wear a lot of cologne to battle the patchouli scents. Be aware of Frog, a weird old man who sells horrible joke books on campus, he´s painfully annoying. No traffic problems, unless there is some peace demonstration

• Do not go down town execept to...

by foxyone Written Sep 7, 2002

Do not go down town execept to the Saturday Market or 5 Th Street Market. There are a lot of undesirables who congregate in the down town area. The city is trying to do something about it but for now I would avoid that area.

• steedappeal's Profile Photo

Beware the dishonest taxi driver...

by steedappeal Written Nov 21, 2010

Upon arriving at the Amtrak Station, I approached a driver if I might share a cab with the person ahead of me. He took me past my hotel (when I mentioned to him he just ignored me) and dropped the lady off a medium distance away. He then re-started the meter and brought me back to my hotel which probably coasted about 20% more than it should have. New to town, and tired from my trip, I stupidly paid. This driver was also strange in that he relied on a GPS device for finding his away around a relatively small town. Any way, be aware of where your hotel is and make sure to not get ripped-off.

See my "Transportation" tips for a number of honest, reliable Eugene cab drivers.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• bhorton's Profile Photo

Say no to drugs!

by bhorton Written Sep 6, 2002

Dr. Henry Thonton IV

you´ll probably get offered drugs here, unless you´re dressed well, and stay clear of notorious areas.

Instant Answers: Eugene

Comments

Eugene Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Eugene warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Eugene sightseeing.