Related Oregon Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Oregon

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Rogue Chocolate Stout

by Ewingjr98 Written Dec 12, 2014

Favorite thing: Out of respect for my wife, I normally don't drink beers with pictures of women on the label, but my wife graciously granted an exception after she tried this rich, tasty beer. The beer pours a dark black with a tan head. The taste is mostly a mild, sweet-smokey chocolate. Thick, rich and tasty.

4 out of 5 stars!

Website: http://www.rogue.com/roguebeers/

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA

by Ewingjr98 Written Dec 12, 2014

Favorite thing: Rogue is a popular west coast brewery founded in Oregon. I first tried Rogue beers at their great location in San Francisco's North Beach in about 2006. Rogue was founded in 1988, and it has brewed more than 60 different beers. They have some of the best IPAs in the world.

Rogue Farms 7 Hop IPA scores an amazing 99/100 on RateBeer.com, so you know it's good. 7 Hop IPA pours a hazy orange with a medium head. This is a fantastic beer with a complex bitterness from start to finish. Sure it's bitter, but it has a fantastic taste!

According to the website: "Beer begins in the dirt. In a bold collaboration with Mother Nature, we grow 7 varieties of aroma hops at Rogue Farms in Independence, OR. We also string, stake, train, test, trim, separate, sort, kiln and cool them. Brewmaster John Maier had 7 varieties available, but rather than picking from among them, he chose all 7 to create a proprietary palate for 7 Hop IPA."

5 out of 5 stars!

Website: http://www.rogue.com/roguebeers/

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

man, that steak was good

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 29, 2009

Favorite thing: You have to see Crater Lake to believe it. The feeling you get when you come over the rim to first catch a glimpse of it is really on a par with the Grand Canyon. In some ways, it's even better as you don't have the high expectations to contend with.

Fondest memory: In 1994, Kristin, a long time girlfriend, and I were traveling around the US. We were on a tight budget and camping to save money. Of course, that budget seemed to hold no weight when it came to going to brewpubs. We had just discovered them and we hit 120 on that trip. Gas was cheap back then so we thought very little of driving hundreds of miles out of our way to find the perfect beer. Deschutes was reputed to be one of the very best in the Pacific Northwest so there was little question we would make the excursion to Bend where it was located. The scenery on the way out was as amazing as unexpected, a stark and bone dry contrast to the lush coastline.

The pub was great but the best part was we befriended a local sitting at the bar. He kept telling us we should try the Filet Mignon and that we shouldn't even think of camping. It was already late September and though it was quite warm during the day, he said it would be absolutely freezing at night. We were quite seasoned campers at that point so we gave little thought to his accommodation suggestion but we did decide to treat ourselves to the Filet after so many months on the road. The steak was fabulous and he was amused to watch us wolf it down hungrily. We enjoyed a few more beers with him but he eventually took off, warning one more time for us to get a room.

Room or campground we needed to get going as it was late and as he had promised, cold. I asked the bartender for our bill and he explained it was already taken care of. Our friend had treated us to dinner. I knew I should have taken that money and used it for a room but I was a lot more stubborn in those days than I am now. We camped and it was freezing. The next morning as I broke down the tent, my hands stung from the aluminum poles. I couldn't help but think of him. Man, that steak was good. I guess I should have known the local always knows best.

me at Crater Lake in 1994 Kristin at Crater Lake
    • National/State Park
    • Beer Tasting

• The Great Northwest

by mattw Updated Aug 15, 2007

Favorite thing: The entire Oregon coast is beautiful. I also suggest the Willamette Valley, Columbia River Gorge, and the city of Portland as other great places to visit. Although July and August are the only months with lots of sunshine, all the rain makes the state extremely beautiful.

For more details send me a message!

Fondest memory: Hiking up small waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge and the Cascade Mountain range. The lush forests smell great and the water is very clear.

• Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Portland

by goingsolo Updated Jun 4, 2007

Favorite thing: Beautiful Portland is known as one of the friendliest cities in the U.S. If you fly into the state, chances are you'll land here. Besides having great views of Mount Hood, Portland has some hidden gems of its own, including several rose gardens, a spectacular Japanese Garden and brewpubs aplenty.

For more information, feel free to browse my Portland page.

Portland

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: Along the historic Columbia River Highway are several picturesque waterfalls. The biggest and most visited natural attraction in Oregon, is the Multnomah Falls. See my 'Things to do' section for more information. Here are some more pictures of the Multnomah Falls and one of the Bridal Veil waterfall.

The Multnomah Falls are spectacular. The Bridal Veil falls at the end of a nice trail. The Multnomah Falls and the Lodge House.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Killing time in Brookings.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: I stopped in Brookings, the last major town before California to linger in Oregon and after making the mistake of ordering lunch at The Hungry Clam down on the waterfront, I really did get to linger in Oregon. On Saturday morning there is a market on the waterfront selling local wares. It makes for a minor diversion if you fancy a stroll in Brookings.

Saturday morning marker, Brookings.

Sealions for free!

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: Just south of Heceta Head is the tourist operation called "The Sea Lion Caves". Several people warned me that this was a bit of a rip-off and when I saw that it was about $US15 or something, I decided to skip it. Well, when I pulled over on highway 101, just south of Heceta Head to take a picture of the lighthouse from afar, in a layby, just before the Sea Lion Caves, I was pleased to see, when I looked down at the rocks and surf below me, sealions! Several were lounging on rocks and others were bobbing about in the waves. It was a great view and all for free!

Sealions, near Heceta Head.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Memorable placenames on the coast.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: Along the southern stretch of the Oregon Coast is the memorably named Mount Humbug. I would guess that this large lump of land rising suddenly up on the coast, is an old volcano. It is one of the rare spots on the coast that highway 101 deviates significantly from its maritime route. This photograph is from the south.

Mount Humbug, Oregon.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

The McCullough Bridge, Northbend.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: This bridge is an impressive sight as you drive into Northbend/Coos Bay, the largest urban settlement on the southern part of the Oregon Coast. Named after the designer of the fine bridges dotted all the way along the coast, this bridge, although not as graceful as the Yaquina Bay Bridge and others, is very imposing.

The McCullough Bridge, Coos Bay, Oregon.
    • Architecture

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

A brief stop in Waldport.

by worldkiwi Written Jan 10, 2007

Favorite thing: I stopped in Waldport to change some travellers cheques at the bank there, as I had left Newport before the banks opened. I also wanted to photograph the Alsea Bay Bridge. Unlike many of the grand Conde McCullough designed bridges on the coast, the Alsea Bay Bridge was not built in the 1930s or even designed by the aforementioned engineer-supreme. The current-day Alsea Bay Bridge actually replaced one of McCullough’s masterpieces. I liked the feel of sleepy little Waldport on the Oregon Coast.

Alsea Bay Bridge, Waldport, Oregon.

• bicycle_girl's Profile Photo

Stop everywhere!

by bicycle_girl Written Dec 11, 2006

Favorite thing: On the coast, there is lots of opportunities for beach walk, for a picture, for a picnic, or a walk in the forest. Stop everywhere, you never know what you will find! Be sure to keep your camera handy and to get out there. Don't stay in the car...

Fondest memory: I don't have a BEST memory. All the time I spent on the coast was just wonderful.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Photography

• andreas81's Profile Photo

Weird almost paranormal on the Oregon coast

by andreas81 Updated Sep 28, 2006

Favorite thing: Who cares what my favorite thing is? ....check out this shot of the green flash at sunset my friend in Newport took!! Really rare....freaky thing. Especially considering it happened THROUGH the clouds. it's not supposed to do that.

He also got a shot of the "green rays" at sunset as well....which is on www.beachconnection.net at the moment.

He also got on TV....on the Oregon Coast Show for this.

the photo is by Bob Trusty of Village Market & Deli in Newport, by the way.

freaky, huh???
    • Beaches

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Bridges of the Oregon Coast.

by worldkiwi Written Sep 23, 2006

Favorite thing: There are some spectacularly graceful bridges along the Oregon Coast. Most of the largest and grandest bridges were designed by Conde McCullough and built in the 1930s. To imagine such imposing and beautiful bridges being built along a coast that must have been even less populated then is quite amazing. The Yaquina Bay Bridge was my favourite. Any city would be quite proud to sport a bridge such as this!

Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, Oregon. Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, Oregon.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

Portland is a city of bridges.

by worldkiwi Written Sep 20, 2006

Favorite thing: Portland, astride the broad Willamette River, possess some interesting old bridges. The oldest is the Hawthorne Bridge, which has a section that can be raised to let barges and river shipping pass. I drove across this bridge several times in a very short stay (not always intentionally)!
    On my last morning in Portland, I somehow managed to find a way down to the almost cloistered off eastern river front, through gritty factory areas and under the noisy and ugly I5 to get some photos of the city and river. I had good luck to time my arrival at the river's edge with the raising of the Hawthorne Bridge to allow a barge to head downstream.

Hawthorne Bridge being raised, Portland.

Oregon Hotels

102 Reviews - 321 Photos
Klamath Falls Hotels
26 Reviews - 49 Photos

Instant Answers: Oregon

Comments

Oregon Favorites

Reviews and photos of Oregon favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oregon sightseeing.
Map of Oregon