Newport Restaurants

storefront

Best Rated Restaurants in Newport

The Siletz Road House & Brewery: one you will miss

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 21, 2009

The Siletz Road House & Brewery is a bit off the beaten path. Even for a beer hunter like myself I wouldn't generally head out here but after having their Oatmeal Stout at Mo's in Newport, I decided it was worth the effort. I am glad I did as I see it has since been bought up by Calapooia Brewing, some 70 miles west which plans to make the beer at their larger facility. They have already closed up the little place in Siletz which was a bit of a trip to visit. Here's how it went.

First off, Siletz is a real one horse town. It was only 13 miles from the coast but it may as well have been in another state. The bar itself was like a wild west saloon and the people in it in a bit of a time warp. Didn't they outlaw smoking in bars? Not in Oregon, baby and even if they did, my guess is they would still be smoking in this place if it hadn't been closed down. Actually, it may still be open as a bar but just not serving (or at least brewing) their fine beers. It seemed most of the locals were drinking mixed drinks when we were there.

Favorite Dish: They had a pretty limited menu and since pot stickers were the special of the day we got an order of them right off the bad. They came out quickly as specials should and were not bad at all. It went well with the 1) Lovin' Lager which was a light golden easy drinking beer with a clean dry finish. It was nice after the long drive out there. 2) Wooly Bully was sourish and might have been off. 3) Spruce Ale was like a lighter version of Anchor Christmas beer with just a hint of spruce. Odd for a summer beer. 4) Jester Pale Ale was a well-balanced American Pale that was very dry without being overly bitter. Around then we ordered up a pizza after about ten people had come in for pick up and all seemed to be leaving with pizza. It was hard to believe how good it was. You would never think a little town like this could make such a good pie. Revived, I was back at the beer. 5) Chocolate Porter was a black brew with a creamy tan head. It had a nice chocolate malt palate that mixed well with some roast bitterness for a real mocha espresso experience. Not a sweet beer in the least. 6) Oatmeal Stout was the beer that brought us here and oddly after the Chocolate Porter it seemed a little lighter body-wise. It was nonetheless a roast bitter treat with a dryish bittersweet finish. We got a few bottles for or cooler. They were obviously old but cheap so I figured I would give them a try. 7) Winter Warmer was a malty Christmas beer with a sourish palate which might have been a bit off. 8) Noggin' Knocker was their barely wine and was deep garnet with a dense tan head. Citrusy nose and sourish fruity palate which drys with bitter roasted malt and generous hopping. The bottle was dated January 2006 (2.5 years old at the time) but it was pretty damn good.

Though it's unlikely I would ever be back out there again, it's a shame it's not there for those looking for that weird little out-of-the-way place to have some different beers and great food at very affordable prices. Our bill with a tip (and beers to go) came to $52.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Tillamook Cheese Factory: who doesn't like ice cream?

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 19, 2009

the big bowls, the big smile

Tillamook is an unremarkable town in itself but being home to Tillamook Cheese Factory does have its advantages. With this one attraction and a few scenic ones nearby, the town draws many tourist each year. I guess the draw of great ice cream is strong. It's quite an operation too with a self guided tour of the cheese making/packaging process, a huge souvenir/grocery store featuring their products, a cafe serving meals made with their cheeses, and most beloved of all, an equally big ice cream parlor.

Favorite Dish: This is the only place you can get all 38 flavors that the company makes which probably helps with repeat business. For $3 you get three big scoops of their delicious creamy stuff. I had German Chocolate Cake, Oregon Strawberry, and Blueberry Cheesecake. All were excellent but the Blueberry Cheesecake was the favorite by far. On the return visit I think all we both got was the Blueberry and Strawberry Cheesecake varieties. It was so creamy, almost like real cheesecake with a nice tartness to make it refreshing. Of course, these were both flavors you could only get at this location otherwise we would have likely bought some to go and they sell their ice creams in half gallon containers!

• Museum Visits

Brewer's on the Bay: one more shot for Rogue Nation

the Rogue Nation needs some work

I have a love hate relationship with Rogue's. This craft brew pioneer is an Oregon institution and I so looked forward to visiting it on my first trip to the state in 1994 I couldn't help but be disappointed. They had few beers on tap and I had better Rogue's beer experiences even in my then home state of NJ. So, I reasoned, they make great beer but not great bars. When in San Francisco quite a few years later, I ignored my usual mantra of only drink the local stuff by checking out the Rogue's Public House there. This one had many taps but some of the beers were in far from good shape and worse yet the food was downright awful. But here I was heading up the Oregon Coast and I decided to give them one more chance.

The new facility in Newport was big as Rogues beers have become pretty widely available around the US. Brewer's on the Bay looked promising and homey enough so we sat at the cozy bar. We had no intension of eating anything after our last experience but with so many beers on tap, we figured we would have something small. We ordered their Fermenter's Platter ($14.95) which was a selection of local cheeses with some house baked Hazelnut bread. It was okay and certainly not very big for the price. Luckily, they had tasting flights so we could sample a fair amount of their 40 beers on tap. You picked out any five beers and depending on the beers, the trays had different prices, mostly linked to alcohol strength. It was a mixed bag, with some beers way off and others pretty much great. The bartender was not the best. I had one beer that I thought was spoiled and she said that was the flavor the brewer was going for. I am sure it was not but the point is, why argue with a customer when you are talking about four ounces of beer. Just give him a new one and smile. She sure did not help her tip with what was more or less an insult to my beer knowledge. Bill came to $41 for twenty tasters and the cheese plate.

First up was their 1) Mom's Hefeweizen which was no Bavarian match or even mass produced Oregon Widmers. Easy to drink but not much taste. 2) Wicked Brown Frog was a just okay cross between an English and American brown ale, a bit sweet especially for a Rogue's beer. 3) Morimoto SOBA ale is made with buckwheat and features some light fruity graininess but otherwise it eludes me. I keep trying it but it never really quite makes it for me. 4) Smoke Ale is a lightly smoked beer that seems better suited for darker styles like porters. 5) Frog in the Rye was a sourish brew and I believe the sample was old and probably spoiled. 6) Chocolate Stout shows that Rogues true forte is the dark and big beers with a sweet Hershey palate that manages a dryish bittersweet finish. Nice. 7) Imperial Porter was a supremely bitter porter with ample chocolate malt for balance. Another winner. 8) Imperial Stout is the porter's big brother. More body, more bitter, more better. I had this in a cask version in NJ many years ago and it was one of the finest dark beers I have ever had and I have had many. On regular tap it still shone though it lacked the softness of the hand pulled version.9) Young's Special Bitter is a classic session beer Northwest (read bitter) style. A real winner when found in cask form and unfortunately that is not the case at the very brewery that makes it!10) Brutal Bitter is oddly a less bitter and more quaffable version of the YSB. 11) Dry Hop Red is a beautiful soft flora brew that is not overly better and very drinkable. 12) Hazelnut Brown is a Frangelico boiler maker. Hard to believe you can make a beer like this and have it not be too sweet.

Favorite Dish: 13) Vanilla Porter had a huge vanilla palate but again managed a dryish bittersweet finish. It was a bit light and it seems more suited to be a higher gravity beer. Still, not bad as is. 14) Mocha Porter starts off like a cafe Cubano but finishes like an Espresso Italiano. This one could have been too sweet but the dry bitter finish saves it. 15) Shakespeare Stout is a soft creamy dry stout, just sweet enough to quaff and dry enough to ask for another. 16) Imperial Red had an almost perfume nose it was so floral but a nice soft malty palate dries considerably in the bitter finish and makes this one dangerously drinkable. 17) Imperial Pilsner looks like a pils and has the light body of a pils. It is dry and bitter like a pils. It's actually hard to believe how strong it is but when the glass is empty, you know the label does not lie. Worth a try, you betcha. 18) Imperial YSB is an amped version of their session YSB with lots of extra malt and alcohol kick easily balanced by the massive hops Rogues is known for. An enticingly soft and drinkable strong ale with a long dry finish. 19) I Squared PA is proof that ales are better suited for elevated strong interpretations. Softer and fruitier than the Imperial Pils while sacrificing no hop bitterness. This one helps define the style double IPA. 20) Old Crustacean is Rogue's barley wine and is no slouch in the big beer department. This long pedigree brew is a monster full of huge malt but easily balanced by massive hop additions.

Their to go store offered no great deals. Rogues has very pretty bottles but you pay dearly for them which makes some of their best beers for either the rich or for very special occasions. Why they can't just put their admittedly great beers in regular bottles so they can be enjoyed by more people or more often is beyond me. Rogues makes some great beers but I would not call them a great brewery. For that reason, when given the choice between their beers and other great brews, I generally go with their competition.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Mo's: touristy but pretty damn good

tasty clam chowder w/ Oatmeal Stout

Mo's is one of those hokey touristy trap institution kinda restaurants. It's like all the best and worst all rolled up into one. I actually knew very little about it when we were walking around Newport for the first time but we were kind of in the mood for clam chowder (being near the sea for a few weeks will do that!) and this little place had it. I have since read on the Internet that it has seen better days and that prices are up and quality down though it seems even local cynics say the chowder is still great. I guess you can call us lucky as that is what we ordered anyway. This place has been around for 60 years so they must be doing something right. It now has outposts in Canon Beach, Lincoln City, Florence, and Otter Creek in addition to the two Newport locations.

The original is on Bay Blvd in Newport and it must get pretty crowded as they built an annex just up the street. It was that one we stumbled across. It was a simple little place right on the bay (well, more like on the docks) so it had a real nautical feel to it. The service was friendly and quick. It was certainly nothing fancy but a great little place for lunch while in town.

Favorite Dish: We both had a bowl of clam chowder served in a hallowed out sourdough bread ($7.95). It is considerably cheaper to get a plan bowl ($4.25) but we both love sourdough and were hungry. We split a Siletz Oatmeal Stout ($4.25) which was equally yummy and went very well with the tasty chowder. I was half hoping it would not be so great as now I had another local brewery to go to! Lol

Pelican Pub & Brewery: one of the top brewpubs in US

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 21, 2009

sorry about this crap photo

The Pelican Brewpub was high on the list of newer brewpubs to visit in Oregon. Winner of numerous Great American Beer Festival medals including Best Large Brewpub in American in 2006, it was a definite stop despite it being a bit pricey. Located right on the beach, it was readily apparent from the line to get a table, it was a very popular place. We spotted some seats at the bar and I was glad to sit there. It was a very big bustling place with a sizeable deck right on the beach. Many people were waiting for outside seating as it was a gorgeous day. The bar was very long but two very able bartenders managed it well.

Favorite Dish: I ordered their Famous Fish & Chips ($15.99) where Mahi-Mahi is marinated in Kiwanda Cream Ale, Panko breaded & fried. It was erved with beer battered fries, homemade tartar sauce & coleslaw. The suggested pairing was Doryman's Dark Ale, a past gold medal winner. This dark brown ale was in an English style but featured American hops for a roast bitter flavor that dried some in the bittersweet finish. It certainly did go well with the fish and would have been amazing if cask conditioned. Doreen had their Asiago Crusted Vegetarian sandwich ($11.99) which was roasted red pepper, eggplant, provolone cheese & pesto mayonaise on cheesy grilled sourdough. This went very well with their Tsunami Stout which was black with a creamy tan head and rich coffee palate with hints of chocolate. The bittersweet dry finish was perfect. Since we were at the bar, I asked for small tastes of Kiwanda Cream Ale which was a typical light Canadian type ale and nothing special. The MacPelican Scotch was a malty brew of little interest. I finished up with their cask India Pelican Ale which was the 2003 Champion of the coveted Chicago Real Ale Festival. This deep golden brew with a thin lasting head and a fantastic floral hop nose. The equally hoppy plalate was well balanced with lots of great malt which made for a soft but full bodied beer. This one was really lovely.

This place opens at 8 AM for breakfast and my guess is it's quite popular.

The meal was quite good and it was a very nice place with great service. It came to $50 for lunch with beers. It was not as pricey as I had anticipated and the quality more than made up for it not being cheap. It's a shame all their beers were not cask conditioned as they truly seem to be made for it stylistically.

• andreas81's Profile Photo

Village Market & Deli: the BEST food on the coast???

by andreas81 Written May 12, 2005

This is one sleek yet cozy bistro-style eatery that overlooks the ocean and the streets of history-filled Nye Beach.

They've got a menu that boasts expertly done and innovative dishes around $10 for lunch. A spinach pasta comes with an especially aromatic wine and tomato sauce that surprises the nostrils as well as the palate. Filet mignon is rubbed with fennel seed and brown sugar, as well as turned into a “poor boy sandwich” – a version containing the extra twist of a wild and wooly chipotle dressing.

Those are just two examples: every element of each dish provides a startling yet beautiful experience, containing multiple layers of subtle tastes and nuances. I honestly believe it's best food I've had on the entire coast.

Favorite Dish: I love the tuna sandwiches.....laced with cranberry and other goodies. SERIOUS gourmet stuff....and a great selection of wines.

Incredible desserts by some Euro place called Delicato too. Yow!!!!

I haven't had anything that I could call my favorite over anything else....it all has blown me away and opened up incredible new vistas of edibles!

Sadly, it's only open for lunch. I'm addicted and i need more hours outta them.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beaches

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Georgie's Beachside Grill: Delicious Seafood in Newport!

by rmdw Updated Apr 4, 2011

Georgie's Beachside Grill

My mom & I were invited here by Phil Kaiser and his wife, Denise. Being locals, they know the good places to eat in Newport and we were sure glad they chose this place!

The restaurant sits right beside the beach and is adjoined to the Hallmark Inn. The ambience is semi-formal but most patrons were dressed casually.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a medley of seafood that was served with rice and vegetables. It was absolutely delicious!

• Beer Tasting

• Tables of Content, Sylvia Beach Hotel restaurant: don't need to leave the hotel

by kcbrit Updated May 5, 2003

Hotel sign

Excellent food. Tell them early in the day if you will be dining in and then choose from the menu, which has two or three choices for each course. Get wine from wine store across the street. Communicating with other hotel guests is mandatory and the staff have ways of making you get aquainted. Breakfast is also great looking out over the Pacific, just a few yards away. vegatraian food available along with critter of the day. Local and in-season produce is used in dishes.

Favorite Dish: Anything salmon!

• Moe's, in Old Town Newport.: Moe's, in Old Town Newport.

by Kevin_Kirsch Written Oct 5, 2002

Old pictures and signs adorn the walls and ceiling. Just try and figure out a particularly criptic hand carved sign hanging on a beam. Good luck!
    Often crowded, so, try to hit the place at a little bit of an off hour.

Favorite Dish: The clam chowder is most excellent and world famous.

• Whale's Tales: Don't miss their "Mousse In A Bag" dessert!!!

by dbohl Written Dec 24, 2008

The decor is diverse, fun & captivating. This is definately a diamond in the rough as it can be easily missed. It's on the corner to the left at bottom of hill. Look for decorative flags hanging in front. Don't give up if you can't seem to find it, ask a local retailer. If you've passed the seals on your right or aquarium entrance, then you've passed it. It's worth every bit of the wandering back & forth trying to find it if having trouble. Simpler to ask a local shop as soon as you get to the bottom of hill.

Favorite Dish: Can't go wrong with whatever you choose. However, the most wonderful dessert I've everd had is Mousse in a Bag! Be sure to save room, and may want to split it due it's richness.

• jasperdo's Profile Photo

Chowder Bowl: Best Chowder on the Coast

by jasperdo Updated Mar 15, 2007

The Chowder Bowl

Forget Mo's...in my opinion the Chowder Bowl is far superior. The clam chowder there is thick and creamy with lots of flavor. I've never seen what's so special about Mo's chowder. It's too watery and has too many potatoes for my taste. But the Chowder Bowl was perfect. In fact, it's the best chowder I've had outside of Boston.

I really liked the fries they serve as well. They look like potato chips, but are hot, soft and delicious. The only gripe I have about the Chowder Bowl was the portions. I ordered the Seafood Platter that came with 4 different types of fish. There was only one shrimp on the plate. But everything tasted good, and like I said, the chowder and fries make the Chowder Bowl a hit with me.

Favorite Dish: The Clam Chowder... and the French Fries.

• DeeHill's Profile Photo

The Chowder Bowl: Great Clam Chowder!

by DeeHill Written Jul 23, 2006

Great little local restaurant. Nice friendly staff. Great food, best clam chowder we had out of all the others we tried. Fish tacos were yummy. 1st restaurant we ate at in Newport, it was so good we came back on our lst night before going home.

• Beaches

• sverige's Profile Photo

Mo's....not the annex, but the...

by sverige Written Oct 4, 2002

Mo's....not the annex, but the original.
    This place is just wonderful, it used to be just a garage. The people who had it built it up to quite more & other locations, but this little modest garage is the best. You sit at basically picnic tables. Bobby Kennedy came here while he was running for President, just before he was killed. Photos of this on the walls. The perfect, very casual place to go after deep sea fishing all day, or just sight seeing the area. Highly recommended!!

Favorite Dish: Clam Chowder...the best EVER!!

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Georgie's: good seafood with a view

by dustmon Written May 13, 2012
    Beachside dining

Here's the skinny about Georgie's---Mano at the bar is the bomb...sit there if there is a wait for a table like there was for us, and he will fix wonderful drinks and also get you a quicker table (tipping helps) right at the window with a view. The food is a mixed bag---the chowder was very good, the fish and chips was a little overcooked, and the beach burger was real messy...
    Chowder, f&c, burger, 1 ice tea and 3 Cuervo 1800 margaritas was $54 w/o tip. We tipped Mano.

Favorite Dish: clam chowder

• dustmon's Profile Photo

Chalet: best breakfast by far!

by dustmon Written May 13, 2012
    Chalet Pie Shop

We were advised to go to Chalet for breakfast by the owner of our VRBO house, so off we went early sunday morning and had one of the best breakfast experiences I have ever had. Willia met us at the door (only one other table was busy at 9 am) and brought us water at once. The menu was large, but the dungeness crab omelet blared at us from the menu and after asking if we could split it, Willia was gracious to bring 2 plates along with the pancakes that came with..(best pancakes in a loooong time) Endless coffee and pleasant company made for an incredible breakfast.
    Crab omelet, pancakes, orange juice and coffee----$20 w/o tip
    They also makes their own pies which we did not try...looked amazing!

Favorite Dish: crab omelet

Instant Answers: Newport

Comments

Newport Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Newport restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Newport sightseeing.