Related Portland Favorites Tips

• Favorites
    by Agraichen
  • With my friend Sylvia at the closing banquet
    With my friend Sylvia at the closing...
    by Jefie
    portland Bridge
    by machomikemd

Most Viewed Favorites in Portland

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Haircut anyone

by Agraichen Written Aug 8, 2014

Favorite thing: Scheduling haircuts can always be a challenge for my wife when traveling. While visiting Portland, OR, she decided it was time so she tried Rudy's on a recommendation.

Located on SE Division, conveniently near a couple of coffee shops and restaurants at 3015 SE Division, Portland, OR 97202 the front looks like it was a former garage. There is a door, but there are also two windowed garage doors that slide up to allow fresh air to circulate.

The environment is a bit eclectic but it's open and brightly lit with 6-8 employees ready to put your name on the waiting list.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

VCS Southeast Portland Animal Hosital

by Agraichen Updated Jul 31, 2014

Favorite thing: You're on vacation and your pet gets sick, worse yet, it's 9:00 PM at night and you have a bleeding, crying pet in your hands and need an emergency vet quick. Thanks to the Internet before we could walk the one block to our car, I found a vet that was open 24-hours a day to handle all types of emergencies.

The staff of the VCA hospital at 13830 SE Stark ST, Portland, OR 97233 are simply great. One call (503-255-8139)to validate they were open while we were on our way and we were greeted as we walked through the door with a team ready to handle our dog bite emergency.

Our pet was analyzed and stabilized within minutes. A relatively complete prognosis provided a short time later. A full list of what was recommended along with the costs was provided since this was a relatively serious matter.

Knowing that a relatively major operation was forthcoming they let my wife stay with our Yorkie, providing her with a blanket to curl up with while waiting for the results of the operation.

All throughout the ordeal, the staff was kind, courteous and ready to assist with any request. They truly live up to their motto "Exceptional Pet Healthcare."

Fondest memory: The caring staff at VCSsoutheastportland.com .

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

Three day itirenary in Portland

by joiwatani Written Nov 18, 2011

Favorite thing: There are many things to do in Portland beside shopping. Residents from Washington State go to Portland because there is no sales tax. Therefore, Portland is a great place for shopping as the buyer saves a lot of money!

If you love walking you might as well go the the two famous gardens in Portland: The Lan Su Garden and the Portland Japanese Garden.

Portland Japanese Garden
    611 S.W. Kingston Ave., Portland
    503.223.1321
    www.japanesegarden.com

Here's the address and link to the Lan Su Garden.

Lan Su Chinese Garden
    239 N.W. Everett St., Portland
    503.228.8131

Then immerse yourself in the history of Oregon by going to the Oregon History Museum.

The Oregon History Museum
    Oregon History Museum
    1200 S.W. Park Ave., Portland
    503.222.1741
    www.ohs.org

I also went to several colleges there and there's a walkway close to the "Buff" near the University of Portland which is a great place to walk or jog. The nearby area's little restaurants are nice.

The weather in February will be cold so make sure to bring your jacket and great pair of walking warm shoes!

Fondest memory: During the spring time, Portland is very beautiful because of the Cherry Blossoms. Portland is a city where a lot of Japanese live and turned this city into a little Japanese town. I love shopping at Uwajimaya, a grocery/merchandise store that sells a lot of Japanese items! In May, I also come here for the Orchid's show.

• Museum Visits

• Jefie's Profile Photo

"Mystery, Mayhem and Muslin in Portland"

by Jefie Updated Dec 11, 2010

Fondest memory: This was my third time attending a Jane Austen Society of North America AGM. After going to the ones in Toronto (2002) and Chicago (2008), it was quite a treat to travel to Portland and meet up with my university friend Sylvia for the 2010 AGM dedicated to Jane Austen's "Northanger Abbey". I must confess that because of all the fun I'd been having in Portland, I didn't exactly feel like sitting down for presentations at first - but there were some very interesting speakers this year, and it felt really good to reconnect with the literary world I sort of left behind when I completed my degree. We met some really nice Janeites, and I even left the conference thinking about attending next year's JASNA AGM in Fort Worth. Hmmm, Mr. Darcy in chaps, now that's an interesting thought!!

For more information on the Jane Austen Society of North America: www.jasna.org.

With my friend Sylvia at the closing banquet

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo

Mount Hood

by meteorologist1 Updated Mar 24, 2010

Fondest memory: The beautiful, snow-capped Mount Hood, the highest point in Oregon, is visible from any tall building in Portland. It is located about 50 miles east of Portland. Mount Saint Helens is also visible, which is about 50 miles northeast of Portland in Washington state.

view of Mount Hood from Portland
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Camping

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the strength to escape once

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 27, 2009

Fondest memory: There was no need to look at my watch for happy hour had been etched in my brain since we had arrived in Portland. And those happy hours were to be spent at Bridgeport Brewing. There didn't seem much sense looking for another. Theirs was just about perfect. Great cask-conditioned beer in Imperial Pints for prices I had not seen since the early 90s, inexpensive and excellent pizza, and an assortment of fair priced tapas all served in an ultra cool industrial setting. The reality was Bridgeport was keeping us hostage and we were willing accomplices. If their beer and food were not enough, they had a cafe/bakery on the premises to seal our fates. Their beer bread was heavenly and we bought a loaf every time we went, often sneaking it into the pub to eat with their olive tapas plate. If we were in the vicinity in the afternoon, we'd pick one up just to snack on as we walked the streets snapping photos, waiting for the hour to be happy to arrive.

So, on this last day in Portland, we decided to break our routine and see some of the outskirts of town on our way to the Mount Hood area. Since we would be camping and we had a nice supply of picnic goodies it only made sense to get some bread for the road. It was with great effort that I went into the brewpub and returned quickly with the hot loaves but a wife like I have been blessed with is not one to chance upsetting for even a great beer.

After a few days of exploring the Mount Hood area, we were on our way to Mount Rainer in Washington and found ourselves on the outskirts of Portland once again. We had finished both our loaves of bread and we really wanted more, knowing that it could very well be the last time we would have it. We checked the map and it was a little out of our way but really when you get right down to it, we were probably both afraid of getting too close again. Being stuck in Portland was something we had had the strength to escape one time. We didn't want to chance having to do it again.

D liked Bridgeport almost as much as me
    • Photography
    • Beer Tasting

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

the perfect state of mind for wandering

by richiecdisc Written Oct 25, 2009

Fondest memory: A couple of loaves of bread was what I was returning for on my way out of town. That's right. I was going to a brewery for bread. Not that their beer had lost its luster for me but at some point, you just have to move on no matter how comfortable you have become. On each of the previous two mornings we laid in bed and said we gotta get out of this place but we were having such a nice and relaxed time it was the last thing we wanted to do.

With no majestic peak calling for an early photo shoot, our mornings were slow. We would stumble down to Stumptown Coffee and have our caffeine fix. We would then wander around town with no agenda, just enjoying the architecture and generally not have much of an idea what we were admiring. We had lunch on the fly, stopping at places that caught our eye with no research as to what we should have. By mid-afternoon, we always found ourselves in the Pearl District and at the doorstep of Deschutes Brewery to be more precise. It may have been a pricey place to eat but for a snack and beer, it had become a place we could not refuse. Their cask-conditioned Mirror Mirror barley-wine put us in the perfect state of mind to pretty much waste the rest of the day doing just what we had been. Wandering. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

getting in that perfect state of mind
    • Beer Tasting

Servers 15-20%
    Cocktail 15-20%
    Bartender 15-20% or $1 per drink before meal
    Wine Steward 10% of wine bill
    If bar has a cover charge do not tip on it
    Busboys 0 - unless something unusual
    Maitre d 0 unless something special
    Coat check - $1
    Restroom attendant $1
    Strolling musician $2-3 if playing a requested song

Driving Into Portland

by machomikemd Updated Oct 1, 2008

Favorite thing: Portland is just s small city so it is fairly easy to drive here and not get lost unlike in los angeles. Portland's downtown area can be walked in about a half an hour. Small parks, trees, shops and cafes make taking one's feet a rewarding experience. but a caution, Most roads are one way, signage is confusing at best even to locals, lanes suddenly turn into on-ramps for bridges and it appears to be illegal to even think about making a left-handed turn anywhere in the city.

I-5 portland Bridge going to portland

NO Sales TAX!

by machomikemd Updated Oct 1, 2008

Favorite thing: What you see is what you get in Portland. Since there’s no sales tax in Oregon, the price you see on an item is the price you pay at the register. So if you buy an $ 15 shirt, then the final price is just $ 15! golly, I should have time to go to the Factory Outlets here! I should return here someday.

Immigration Pro & Con

by IncogNeat-0 Written Apr 20, 2008

Favorite thing: "People coming from California or the east coast usually find everything here very cheap in terms of real estate." - glabah

Too true. They have added great vigor & vitality to the area, but I also worry about what will happen to all the lively little boutique shops depending on discretionary income of others if & when the hammer falls. Will these most prized of immigrants, increasing the welfare rolls, in turn become the most despised?

Relocation

by IncogNeat-0 Updated Apr 16, 2008

Favorite thing: April 2008

What line of work are you in? St Johns may be limited in that respect. What you save in rent may be eaten up in time & transportation.

Portland has two youth hostels, each with a 3 day limit as far as I know. Division is the major artery south of Hawthorne. Rents should be cheaper in that area. Belmont, to the north, is getting some of the more popular Hawthorne spill-over. The Hawthorne IYH should be your base for checking out the area between Division & Belmont, both of which are convenient to Hawthorne.

The # 17 Trimet bus runs right by the NW IYH, already mentioned, if you want to job shop in the downtown core. Due to a recent change in administration, the school system is in a state of flux. Some schools now open may soon be closed. Capitol Hill, aka Multnomah Village, on the # 44 bus line is a nice little self-contained community. It might be worth checking out in that respect.

You are smart to plan this far ahead. Even if you plan on driving, I suggest learning to navigate via http://trimet.org/ while you have the time. Following behind a # 4 bus, for instance, will get you to Division Street; # 15 to Belmont, etc.

Plasticland

by IncogNeat-0 Updated Mar 3, 2008

Favorite thing: Update: February 2008

Tail Wags Dog! Film at 11!

Beaverton is the Capitol of Oregon. Some sticklers for accuracy will claim the Cap is Salem; more astute students will claim the capital is in Portland. The simple truth of the matter is that both political & financial power has shifted over the last quarter of a century or more to big city burbs all across the country.

The latest rumor, the one I'm about to start, is that the annual Portland Rose Festival, parade & all, will soon shift to Beaverton, or at least be rotated through there annually, to Tigard, Gresham, even Vancouver, etc. Portland high school students, little more then token participants already, in favor of plasticland foreign born students, will eventually be excluded entirely.

There is some gentrification to be sure, a return to core values, but an entire generation has grown up in the suburbs with total, unremitting contempt for those of us who prefer city life. It is irksome to say the least, to hear our spoiled plasticland spawn preach to each other with bated breath, as though they really knew what they were talking about, about the horrors of city life, that the city is a dangerous place to be, etc. How would they know, how could they possibly know, other then from the shallow caricatures of real human beings being portrayed in the movies or on TV?

HRUMPH! Crime & corruption follow the money. Plasticland is where the money is.

Health Check For Dummies

by IncogNeat-0 Updated Jan 10, 2008

Favorite thing: Health Check For Dummies

Update: January 2008

One thing you can do while in Portland you can not do anywhere else I'm aware of, is a cheap, accurate cholesterol/glucose check at Providence Portland or Providence St. Vincent hospitals. St Vincent is the easier to get to by either car or bus. Plenty of covered parking.

From Portland's downtown hub, Pioneer Square: Take Blue (Hillsboro) or Red (Beaverton) bound train on Morrison Street, on the north side of Pioneer Square, to PGE park - which is a stadium, not a park. Walk north one block to W Burnside. Walk west to next #20 (Beaverton) Trimet westbound bus stop. Some Trimet buses short-stop at 23rd during off hours, so ask the driver if it is a Beaverton bound bus to make sure. Drivers do not make change. Purchase Trimet tickets beforehand at Pioneer Courthouse Square, anywhere along Max tracks, or via mail via www.trimet.org.

From Beaverton TC (Transit Center): board eastbound #20 Gresham Trimet bus.

St. Vinnies is more or less on the dotted line between Portland & Beaverton. Get off at the first bus stop at St. Vinnies, it stops twice, and walk inside. The bookstore/service center/resource center/whatever is to the left a few steps once inside.

Phone ahead for time, date, and place since both hospitals share the same expensive equipment.

Providence Portland
    4805 NE Glisan 97213
    503-215-6383

Providenc St. Vincent
    9502 SW Barnes Road 97225
    503-216-2655
    $30 my last check two years ago. Results, worse then I remembered.

Triglycerides = 180; below 150 desireable.
    Total Cholesterol = 177; below 200 desireable
    Glucose = 89; 60-109 desirable
    HDL (Good Cholesterol)= 41; 60 & higher desireable; below 40, high risk.
    LDL = 99; (Bad Cholesterol) = 99; below 100 desirable
    TC/HDL = 4.3; less the 4 desirable.

• IncogNeat-0's Profile Photo

Best Bargain In Town ~ Any Town, Anywhere.

by IncogNeat-0 Updated Jan 10, 2008

Favorite thing: Health Check For Dummies

Update: January 2008

THE BAD NEWS: I was crestfallen to learn the preceding Providence health care program no longer existed. It seemed perfect in a town where joggers, bikers, health stores & "health nuts" abound, providing accurate blood indicator markers which can also serve as health & fitness goals to improve upon. Granted that these markers may no longer provide definitive, leading edge answers they once did, they still offer good guidelines for the lay person.

I once suggested at a local doner station that if the Red Cross provided similar data gratis to interested parties, they might never again need to run a blood drive or rely mostly on tired old polluted bloodlines like my own; that the health conscious younger set might be more motivated to donate, thus killing two birds with one stone. I was informed, in essence at the time, that Red Cross policy is not to "bribe" or coerce volunteers; have not donated since, tired blood or not.

THE GOOD NEWS: The program has not been discontinued after all, only the Providence health care Resource Center/Bookstores. Before, all one needed was to walk-in & plunck down $25 for all of the above blood indicators. Now it is necessary to call ahead (503-216-2088) for an appointment. Reason: lack of interest. An ECG (electrocardiogram) has been added for those who can afford a total of $60.

I may be pre-diabetic, although blissfully unaware until recently. According to Dr. Barry Sears, page 42 of "The Anti-Inflammation Zone," a TG/HDL ratio of 4 or more indicates a diabetic or pre-diabetic condition. Mine (above) two years ago was 4.3. The data is a warning, not a guarantee, but a warning I take seriously. I am at present attempting corrective action to the extent that I can.

Portland Hotels

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Mark Spencer Hotel
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Portland

Comments

Portland Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Portland locals.
Map of Portland