Pittock Mansion, Portland
The Pittock Mansion was built by one of Portland's richest citizens in the "old days". The mansion was purchased by the city in 1964, after the family put the house on the market and the house was damanaged during a storm in 1962. The house and its land have became part of the parks system. The mansion features wonderful views of the mountains. On the other hand, it is also interesting to tour the inside of the place, and see just what luxury living was like in the classical age of ostentation.
There are spectacular views of the city from up here, and you don't have to pay to visit the outside of the building.
The Pittock family was very influential in forming Portland. For example, Georgiana Pittock organized the first Portland Rose Show in 1889 and is often called the "Mother of the Rose Society."
Henry Pittock took ownership of the weekly newspaper The Oregonian in 1860, and over time eventually converted it to the daily paper we have today.
Admission to the Interor of the Building is $7. It is closed during the month of January, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Hours depend on the season.
For the best set of information on what is available here, and the history of the house, visit the web site below.