Ethnic, Portland

by machomikemd
    Attractive Interior of My Thai Bistro
    by glabah
  • interior of E-San Thai Cuisine: variety of seating
    interior of E-San Thai Cuisine: variety...
    by glabah
  • akasonnie's Profile Photo

sushi takahashi: sushi takahashi

by akasonnie Updated May 15, 2008

Cute small sushi place. Most seating is around a bar in the middle of the room although they have a few private booths. A toy train goes around the bar and you pull what you want of the cars. They also have a menu you can fill out and give the sushi chefs. My roomate is not a fan of sushi, so they also offer great teriyaki chicken. Each plate on the train is a different color. They price their food by color of the plate. Very inexspensive. plates range from $1.50-$3.00 for two to six pieces.

Favorite Dish: avacado inari....yummy!!!! I don't eat fish but they have amazing veggie sushi. MMMM MMM

• glabah's Profile Photo

VeGe Thai: Very Good, Mostly Vegetarian Thai

by glabah Written Apr 23, 2008

Entrance to Vege Thai on South side of Hawthorne

The name pretty much says it all: vegetarian Thai food, with no MSG added.

Take a look at the artwork on the walls too (some of which is for sale).

In terms of value, the food quality and quantity to price is quite good. Prices range from $6 for the most simple lunch items to $11 for some of the more involved dishes. I put down $10 or less, but really the price straddles the line right at $10 per person for what the average person is going to want to spend.

Favorite Dish: There is a pumpkin dish that shows up from time to time on the specials of the day board that is absolutely wonderful. The Thai Iced Tead ( $1.75 as of this writing) is very good. The Ginger Chicken is good too.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Dragonfish

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 3, 2007

Dragonfish was one of the few places still open as we searched for dinner on our only night in Portland. It was a hotel bar/restaurant, so not my first choice, but we didn't have many options. We sat at the sushi bar, and decided against sushi... since we had tried it in so many restaurants in the previous few days. We decided instead on shrimp spring rolls filled with shrimp and julienne vegetables with nuac cham and sweet chili sauce for dipping($8) and chicken satay skewers with sesame peanut and wasabi orange sauces ($8) with a glass of pinot noir ($9) and a few bottles of the local Full Sail Sessions ($3.50 each). We enjoyed our light dinner and the Session beer was very unique. The staff was friendly and we also enjoyed watching the sushi chef work... as we always do!

This is a decent little restaurant considering it's in a hotel.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Ethnic: La Terrazza - Italian Grill

by Gypsystravels Updated Sep 25, 2006

After spending some time walking around and getting a bit rained on, we decided that we definitely needed some food to kill our hunger.

We happened upon this place while walking around Chapman & Lownsdale Squares. Located just a block away from the square it seemed like a nice restaurant to just stop and have a quick Italian meal.

The restaurant is more like a "dinner" type atmosphere. The food was good and cheap and we were able to spend a few hours enjoying our meal before we left for the aiport.

Favorite Dish: More info to come.

• TrvlnGrrl's Profile Photo

Cha Cha Cha: Yummy cheap food!

by TrvlnGrrl Written Aug 3, 2006

A small little local favorite with great burritos, and more. Its small so if you are going during lunch hour you will be lucky to get a table. Don't let that stop you, just get your order to-go and head to the park. If you do get a table, its not fancy and a little tight but definately worth it!

Favorite Dish: Chicken or Veggie Wet Burrito!!!!! Yummm! Its a huge burrito smothered in enchillada sauce, sour cream, and pico de gillo.
    A favorite with students, starving artists and budget travlers. Because its big enough to be 2 meals and only $4.50!

Thai Spoon: Try the Tom Yum Seafood Combo

by deWilde Updated Jun 20, 2006

Misc Pix from Thai Spoon

I can't believe we have lived here for 9 years and JUST ate here! What a waste of searching for a nice restaurant when there was one right around the corner from us for the last couple of years!

Thai Spoon is nothing special to see from the exterior but the interior is delightfully Thai and the colors are warm and inviting. The tables are dressed to the nines and the service is fantastic.

The food …the food is to die for. We ordered the Sa-Tay ($7) which was five chicken skewers, with veggie garnish and a side of peanut sauce and cucumber salad. It was very good and I would order the cucumber salad on its own as it was one of the best I have had. The rice vinegar added a sweet touch to the cucumber and the onion and jalapeño gave it a slight bite – absolutely wonderful.

We also ordered the Tom Yum with combo seafood ($11). Although I have had one that I liked better in Vancouver (WA – of all places), I preferred the seafood collection in this soup much more! You can see why in the pix. It was well worth it!

To finish off the meal we ordered the pork fried rice ($7.95) and some yellow curry with beef ($7.95). Both were phenomenal. Thai Spoon is now my husbands’ favorite place to get fried rice. The flavors were wonderful and it was not greasy. Most asian places add to much oil/butter. The yellow curry was equally impressive with a mild spice and perfect vegetable accessories (potatoes, onion and tomato).

The Thai Tea was refreshing and although very sweet – one of the better ones I have had. We topped the meal off with a scoop of coconut ice cream.

Favorite Dish: I love the Tom Yum seafood combo soup. It is slightly spicy which gives the variety of seafood a nice base to rest within. The array of seafood is amazing visually as well as pleasing to the palate. My husband loves the fried rice and has not stopped talking about it since our last visit there. This is by far his favorite fried rice joint now. It is a perfect combination of salty and sweet and the rice was tender but not hard or goopy. It was very good.

Abole Cafe: You have to try the Doro Wat

by deWilde Written May 24, 2006

Exterior of Abole Cafe

The interior is vague and nothing wonderful. White walls are adorned with items that represent or are from Ethiopia. There is a drink refrigerator in the middle of the room which is out of place and doesn’t add to the ambiance. In the corner of the room they have a space for the traditional Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony. The upside to Abole is the food and the wait staff which are both wonderful. There is another Ethiopian restaurant down the street called Mudai – but the smoke from the lounge above wafts into the restaurant (1st floor) so I don’t like eating at the place. The only smells at Abole are food, coffee and incense.

Favorite Dish: Doro Wat is one of my favorite Ethiopian meals. It is a chicken dish with a dark sauce that consists of onions, cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper and ginger. It is usually served with one hard boiled egg. At Abole they cut the meat up and mixed with the sauce. I have always had it as a solid chicken leg – which I love.

Sinju Japanese Restaurant: Tatmi rooms are a must

by deWilde Written May 18, 2006

Tatami room - minimum 5 people to sit in here.

I’m going to make this quick as I want to add the pix and head to bed. The coolest thing about this place is the tatami rooms. Please note that 1) you must have 5 people, they will not seat you in one if you do not, 2) you have to take your shoes off so wear socks. The food was okay, but nothing thrilling and not worth the price. The sushi was okay - we got the spicy tuna. The server didn't speak Japanese as she was from Korea. She was very nice and helpful but if I am paying big money for authentic Japanese I expect just that. All in all we had fun but I don't know that I would rush to eat there again. The serving size was small and the price huge the taste was moderate but nothing to write home about!

Favorite Dish: The Chicken was okay. Everything was just like what you would get at Koji's except less quantity and higher price.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Bewon Korean Restaurant: Spicy IS hot!

by deWilde Written May 8, 2006

This location seems to go through a new restaurant every four or five years. Prior it was Celedon (Jaoanese/Korean) and now it is BeWon (Korean). The food was great but the place was dead. The biggest downfall to it's location is that 1) parking is a pain in that neck of the woods, 2) It is hidden below eye level so you miss it unless you are looking for it. The interior is beautiful and very calming. The staff were very welcoming and very informative about the dishes.

Favorite Dish: Don't know that we had a favorite dish. If they still have a bibimbap - get it! It is fabulous.

• athena10x's Profile Photo

Ethnic/ SAUCEBOX: Soho in Portland

by athena10x Updated Mar 17, 2006

This local spot doesn't have a glaring neon sign out front. Located in an older buiding that is right at the beginning of downtown where Burnside and Broadway blend together to make southwest downtown.
    Saucebox was one of Portlands first hip/chic/beautiful drink bars. It's high ceilings and grey walls add to buddah bar feel. Sleak meets Pan Asia, meets Soho.
    A perfect date night place if you want to impress someone with your coolness.
    They have since added a whole nuther dining room.

SORRY NO PHOTO AT THIS TIME SO CHECK THEIR WEBSITE BELOW

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favorite, I just go in and see what wets my appetite. It's very modern asian so not a lot of fried things. The pork ribs are nice, even the tuna ceviche with jasmine rice.
    Edame comes as an appetizer and the cocktails are simply marrrrrrrrvelous

• athena10x's Profile Photo

Ethnic Pho Hung: The best Pho Beef Noodle

by athena10x Updated Mar 17, 2006
    Dining area

Nice fresh accompaniments adorn the dishes at this resturant. It can get crowded during the standard mealtime hours.A hussle bussle of many Asian and American customers.
    The staff gets you seated quickly, and if your on a schedule you can get your soup quickly , eat it and be on your way. I often go alone and they still get me seated and fed with a short bill.

Favorite Dish: I have tried about 4 different dishes here, some with a combination of spring roll, grilled beef over noodles, and of course Pho noodle soup.
    My favorite is the Beef noodle soup with tendon.(#6) I ordered it just to see what came and I was pleasently surprised how much I like the grissle as an addtion. I've search around town and tried the same soup at other resturants and I still feel that Pho Hung makes the best and the hottest (temperature) around.

fratelli: an Italian Kitchen

by deWilde Updated Feb 12, 2006

Front Door

Don't let the bright yellow entry door with crisp graphics spelling out fratelli fool you. Once you enter through the doorway you are greeted by a long narrow hallway full of color, ambiance and artwork. Once in the restaurant you immediately notice the high ceilings and warm colors, making you feel as though you have just entered a friend?s villa. You must pass the small bar before you reach the dining area ? I design I do not favor but perhaps it works for them. During a busy night I can only imagine that you would have to squeeze by those waiting at the bar for their opportunity to sit and eat. The main dining area is large yet feels cozy with dark wood tables and warm colorful walls adorned with paintings. The mid wall is lined with wine bottles that only add to the Italian character. Overall I would recommend trying fratelli?s at least once. The prices are very much with the setting of ?The Pearl? District ? but I do not know that it is justified. I will try it later this month and let you know what I think then.

Favorite Dish: Will update this later in the month...

• Business Travel

• m-gem's Profile Photo

Queen of Sheba: A bit of Africa in the NW

by m-gem Written Jul 31, 2005

This was the second time I'd tried Ethiopian food, which consists of meat or veggie curries served on a big pancake-like thing called injera. You eat with your hands, using the injera to scoop up bits of curry. Queen of Sheba is a simple place, with cheap folding chairs and plastic tablecloths, but no matter, you came to focus on the food anyway. I believe it's run by a family, so you feel a bit like you've dropped by their house for some home cooking. There are beers available, but unfortunately not the African banana beer that I had in the Ethiopian restaurant I went to in the Netherlands. A salad was served along with the curries, but it looked like it came out of a bag, which was a bit disappointing.

Favorite Dish: Veggie curry with potatoes, peas and carrots.

• m-gem's Profile Photo

Nicholas's: Authentic Middle Eastern food

by m-gem Written Jul 31, 2005

A simple, cheap place that draws people in with their home-style Middle Eastern food. It's best to go with a few friends, order a few dishes that sound good (but always be sure to get the wonderful hummus) and dig in, trying a bit of everything with the warm pita bread. There is usually a wait around dinnertime, especially due to the small size of the restaurant, but it's definitely worth it.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Pho Van: A gem in the middle of The Pearl [District]!

by deWilde Updated Jul 29, 2005

Quick peek at a meal

Lunch is always busy and honestly too noisy to really enjoy a conversation. However, dinner tends to be a little quieter and the night lights add to the ambience. The staff is dressed in wonderful shades of orange/yellow and green/blue silks. Since Pho Van is located on a corner you have a great view of the city street and fun people watching opportunities. The interior is simple yet warm and comforting. Traditional paintings and lucky bamboo only help add to it's beauty and charm.

Favorite Dish: I don’t necessarily have a favorite dish here. I got a chicken dish that was very nice and full of garlic. Although I’m not a big red meat eater I had a bite of one of their steak strips meals which tasted great. We shared the coconut banana desert and it was good but nothing I would go out of my way to order again. Good food but I would say we go there more for the scene than the food.

Instant Answers: Portland