Ethnic, Portland

Popular Here!
    by machomikemd
    Attractive Interior of My Thai Bistro
    by glabah
  • half a pinapple included in pineapple fried rice
    half a pinapple included in pineapple...
    by glabah
  • Shaft28's Profile Photo

Ethnic: Andina - fine Peruvian food

by Shaft28 Written Oct 13, 2003
    logo

We dined at Andina this past Friday night with friends and all of us loved the place.
    Very freindly staff, who admittedly may not be the most knowledgable of wines, compensated with friendliness and attentiveness. And if you are lucky, one of the owner's mom might come by to greet you with stories of her native country Peru. She was delightful and so sweet.
    The food and drinks were equally as wonderful. The drink (Tortuga) was the tables favorite and we all enjoyed sharing ceviche and the sauces that come with the bread (I was a fan of the peanut-cillantro, while my wife loved the mango-pepper sauce).
    Entrees were amazing - the vegitarian pasta and mushroom dish was outstanding and the lamb superb. Everything that reached our table were shared and enjoyed. We went for full meal, but tapas are available.
    The bar is awesome and although we couldn't fit it - dessert sounded and looked great.
    With drinks, apps, & meal for two - expect to pay in the $80-$90 range (total w/tip). Fine dining. We loved it.

Favorite Dish: Any of the ceviche salads are amazing; I'd stick to more of the mainstream Peruvian dishes, just so good.

• Aquamantos's Profile Photo

Downtown Greek Cusina: Greek food!!!!! yummy!!!!! :o)

by Aquamantos Written Aug 13, 2003

Greek Cusina, Portland, Or.

This restaurant is located in downtown Portland, you'll recognize it by the big purple octopus floating over the entrance door :o)

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish??? hmmm....almost everything here!...let's see...
    1. SHRIMP (Oregon shrimp, garden greens, cucumber, tomatoes and cheddar cheese).
    2. DOWNTOWNER (shrimp, swiss cheese, tomatoes, lettuce and thousand island dressing on rye bread).

YUUUUUUUMMY!!!!!! :o)

• Work Abroad
    • School Holidays
    • Study Abroad

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Beau Thai: Tom Yum is my favorite soup.

by TashieKitten Updated Jul 17, 2003

It's a smaller restaurant but I've never had to wait too long. There are more 'traditional' style tables where you sit on the floor, but I've not used them. It's also not expensive, for the area (NW Portland can be pricey.) We usually go for a 'family style' arrangement and pick two dishes (soup first, of course!) and share with each other.

Favorite Dish: Tom Yum soup (I really like soup!) I'm not a strict vegetarian anymore but I still eat mostly veggies all the time. The pad thai is super and the curries are delicious. (I love mussaman curry.)

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Saburo's: Great sushi, worth the wait

by Shaft28 Updated Feb 24, 2003

I know, I know...sounds like Mexican food but trust me it is sushi. Small place we nicknamed the "boot shop" since it has no sign and is located next to a boot shop.
    Always a wait, no reservations. Service is rude at best and if they are in a mood you only can order once. (Not so bad on that anymore). It add to the atmosphere.
    The sushi is huge. Also very fresh and some of the better fish I've eaten. Especially in Portland.
    I have some pretty picky friends concerning sushi and the pickiest said "finally somewhere that lived up to the expectations set of the best".

Favorite Dish: The salmon and tuna are excellent, have to be to be this big. Also a big fan of the spider roll. Remember, don't order too much, this sushi is HUGE!
    Usually very fresh, but the place is small, crowded and the bathrooms are pretty ugly.

• strader's Profile Photo

MISO HAPI: MISO HAPI

by strader Written Aug 26, 2002

My favorite Vietnamese/Thai food restaurant. Portland has tons of Vietnamese restaurants, more than any other city I've seen. While Miso Hapi isn't strictly a Vietnamese restaurant, they have tons of Vietnamese items on the menu. I mean it, everything is really good here, it's fairly healthy, and it's still reasonably priced. Favorite Chicken is quite good, as is the spring roll soup (I can't remember what it's called, but they put spring roll on top of noodle soup). Decent curries too.

Favorite Dish: Everything.

• archan4698's Profile Photo

For kinda pricy but very good...

by archan4698 Written Aug 25, 2002

For kinda pricy but very good thai food, Typhoon in downtown is great, its on broadway. Pho Hung is a cheap and yummy Vietnamese place on 61st(or so) and Powell(I think) :) its about 5 dollars for a big ol thing of Pho(a kind of soup with noodles, veggies, meat, spices, etc).
    Around Portland State University they have several small places around campus that are cheap and good. Hot Lips pizza, a bar, and a small cafe/bento place are all next to each other along broadway after reaching the PSU campus.

Favorite Dish: Typhoon:drunken noodles with Thai iced Tea.
    Pho Hung:Pho of course, or lemongrass chicken.

• Downtown Deli and Greek Cusina...

by amelia3 Written Aug 25, 2002

Downtown Deli and Greek Cusina
    The food is great! Sometimes they have belly dancing and live entertainment upstairs.

Favorite Dish: This is the first place I take our visitors. If you can not decide on anything else try the yummy Chicken Pita. It comes with a Greek Salad and Spanakopita(spinach pie) for only $7.95. By the time you are finished you will not have room for desert. For an appetizer I would recommend the Fried Squid(Kalamarakia Tiganita). For the full menu go to their website below.

• astridcontre's Profile Photo

No recuerdo el nombre...pero...

by astridcontre Updated Aug 24, 2002

No recuerdo el nombre...pero había comida árabe. La decoración era moderna pero acogedora: ladrillos a la vista. Lo mejor fue el postre, ofrecido por un Libanés de verdad que hasta me pidió mi dirección para escribir.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Nicholas' Restaurant: You'll find us here every Saturday!

by deWilde Updated Sep 21, 2005

Jaxx and Garrett with the Pita Bread

The food is fantastic, the ambience is wonderful and this is definitely a people watching place. I'll write more later.
    FYI - CASH ONLY!

Favorite Dish: Stephan's Chicken and the Labney platter.

• Singles

• Aquamantos's Profile Photo

The Old Spaghetti Factory: The best Italian food !

by Aquamantos Updated Jul 10, 2003

The Old Spaghetti Factory

A very nice old and big house.
    Excellent attention.

Favorite Dish: *Spaghetti with browned butter and mizithra cheese.
    *Spinach and cheese ravioli.
    *Garlic cheese bread.