Fun and/ or fast Food, Portland

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 39 Reviews

The line just to get in...
    The Menu
  • Fun and/ or fast Food
  • Roadquill's Profile Photo

Salt and Straw: Ice Cream for the Senses

by Roadquill Written Jan 31, 2014

The Menu

At 10 PM in the evening, and it is just above freezing, and there is a line of ice cream fanatics waiting for more than 30 minutes just to get a taste of ice cream flavors like "Pear and Blue Cheese" or "Honey Lavender" or "Cinnamon Snickerdoodle". I must admit I was glad I waited. The various tastes of wild concoctions in ice cream is a must do. The staff is great also. As you approach the ordering area your personal tasting assistant lets you taste a spoonful of pretty much the entire spread if you want. Order your main course, and off to a table to enjoy.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Tapalaya: Tapas in the New Orleans style

by Roadquill Written Aug 21, 2012

Just of the trendy corner area of E. Burnside and 28th Street is Tapalaya, a place where you can eat all the mudbugs you want, and then a bunch of other tasty morsels served tapas, small plate style. There is live music on selected evenings. Chicken liver brouchettes, crab deviled eggs, pulled pork sandwiches, fried oysters...for wine had an Oregon Tempranillo, but it was not flavorful enough to stand with those powerful and spicey foods.

• Photography

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Salvador Molly's: Pirate Cooking - best place in town!

Inside

Salvador Molly's is by far our favorite place in town for dinner. Cuba, Carribbean, African, Spanish and Hawiian food all in one! Casual dinning, fun atmosphere, great food. Nothing like I've ever been to before.
    The decor ranges from carribean fun, beach toys to an Velvis wall (Velvet Elvis).
    Staff are great, they make us feel like friends when we come in. The main menu has nothing but wonderful foods, but the real gems are the specials.
    I can't say enough wonderful things about this place.
    FYI, expect to toss your peanut shells on the floor and drink a couple mochitos (sp?).

Favorite Dish: Favorites - Famous Kalua Mojo Pork, Tamarindo BBQ Ribs, Palm Ceasar Salad, the onion rings (beware HUGE), lime chicken soup, any of the bread puddings, and anything that is the special of the week.
    Be adventurous, it is great!

Mother's Bistro & Bar: Comfort food from Mom

by Shaft28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mother's is a great place to grab breakfast, lunch or dinner while downtown. Considered comfort food, so you'll see a french toast, mac and cheese etc.
    Special thing about it, every month they have a "Mom" of the month guest menu from area (or outside) chefs.
    Great service here.

Favorite Dish: My favorites include the french toast covered in corn flakes, which is beyond words.
    The French press coffee is great as is the standard bacon and eggs.
    Dinner, I fall for the meatloaf or chicken and dumplings. You can't really go wrong.

Tillamook Ice Creamery: Best ice cream

mmmmm ice cream

Tillimook is a small coastal town that is known for their dairy products. High quality and taste. They expanded to a handful of ice creameries around the Portland area.
    Most have an attached diner, but no matter how good the cheese it, doesn't cover the bad burger beneath it.
    You go here for the ice cream.

Favorite Dish: So many flavors, so good. My favorite is the plain vanilla bean or chocolate, but they have some specialty flavors like peanut butter fudge and german chocolate that are truly outstanding.
    Better than any ice cream at B.R. or Coldstone.

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

The Montage: Faux Cajun Food

by Rude_boy22 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I almost don't want to review the Montage because I grew up in cajun country, and though the cajun food there is not bad, it just isn't done right. That having been said, I feel the need to mention this place because it is one of the only non-pub/24 hour hotcake house places to get something to eat in Portland after 1 AM (open til' 4AM Saturdays!). That, and I don't think I've ever had authentic cajun food outside of Louisiana. The Montage is a classy for a hipster restaurant located underneath a bridge. The service is intentionally (sometimes seeming contrived) crass, screaming your orders to the bar. It is heavy on the ambiance, and a good place for a date. (Hey, I've listed one!) Though loud and not very intimate.

Favorite Dish: They have a very interesting menu, even serving Alligator and frog's legs linguini! They are best with the simple stuff. The cheesecake is great.

Elephant's Delicatessen: Great, Quick Food & Deli

by WulfstanTraveller Written Oct 21, 2010

This is a great place specializing in providing great, well-made food quickly with an emphasis on local products and at reasonable prices. It is a deli and also has informal in-house eating. It is especially great for lunch and breakfast but stays open 'till about 7:30 in the evening. One can quickly grab excellent food, salads, fritattas, chilis, soups, sandwiches, etc., along with other deli-type things.

Various - Food Carts: Great Street Food

by WulfstanTraveller Written Oct 17, 2010

Downtown Portland has a nice array of great street food of various types and ranging all the way up to excellent, fresh gourmet salads and more, plus hot dogs, Mexican food, etc. Much of this is in food carts parked on the edges of parking lots such as those along Alder near 10th.

• Hiking and Walking

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Savor Soup House: Great Gourmet Street Food - Salads, Soups, etc.

by WulfstanTraveller Updated Oct 16, 2010

This is one of the little food carts on the street in downtown. It has excellent salads and soups, all prepared extremely well with excellent, fresh ingredients. Moreover, it's cheap and fast because it's a food cart.

• Rude_boy22's Profile Photo

Voodoo Doughnut & Wedding Chapel: Doughnuts at four AM

by Rude_boy22 Updated Dec 17, 2006

Tucked in between the strip of rock and roll clubs and bars off Burnside lies one of the few late night places to eat after the bars close. Voodoo doughnuts serves all of us late nighters who crave a quick snack at two forty five in the morning, but don't want to drive all the way out to the Hotcake House. The Roxy is always an option, but sometimes you just want to avoid the Andy Warhol crowd and get something quick and without all the drama. Voodoo has normal doughnut fare, but they top them with all kinds of great treats. Cocoa Puffs, Nyquil, Peanut butter and jelly, just about anything you can think of...OK... Trust me, it tastes alot better than it sounds....I'm guessing many stoners were put to task in creating the menu. They also serve Stumptown coffee and teas. Oh yeah, and you can get married there. The place is practically a closet, but if things get too crowded, you can go outside.

Favorite Dish: I'm trying to get them to start making fried Snickers bars. But the cocoa puff doughnut is my standby until then. The Old Dirty Bastrd and the maple bacon doughnut are also great.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

The Kinsgton Bar and Grill: The Kinsgton

by cjg1 Updated Sep 12, 2006

This is a sports bar on the west coast. Sports start early out there due to the time difference and makes for a great start to the day.

Favorite Dish: I had the German Breakfast. Went well with baseball at about 11am.

• Beer Tasting

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Alotto Gelato: Monthly Flavors - Try them

by deWilde Updated Jul 29, 2005

Many flavors

Alatto Gelato might be just that but the shop is small with very little seating. The best spot to sit is at the window as NW 23rd is, if anything, a great place to people watch. I imagine that during the summer a line will go out the door but in the winter you don't find the crowds flocking to have a cold treat.

One thing you should try is a monthly flavor. I think they usually have one or two that they change every month but I have not been disappointed yet. The only downfall is that is you find one you love it may not be around forever.

Favorite Dish: I don’t have a favorite dish but did enjoy the chocolate. I heard the coconut was good but haven’t tried it yet – I’ll let you know if I do.

• m-gem's Profile Photo

Baja Fresh: Quick, yummy Mexican food

by m-gem Written Jul 24, 2005

I'd never heard of this chain of Mexican fast food places, but we visited one in Chicago and really liked it, then were surprised to find one in Portland. The food is definitely more home-made tasting than, say, Taco Bell. The price are also much higher, but it's worth it. A burrito can hardly be eaten by one person on their own. They have a salsa bar so you can add what you'd like to your order, plus you have choices of how hot you want it when they make it, and whether you want pinto or black beans.

Favorite Dish: Chicken burrito with rice, beans and veggies.

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

¡Oba!: Nuevo Latino Tapas

by TashieKitten Updated Jul 1, 2005

Outside the building is a yellow orche color. Go to the doors to go inside, up a few stairs and turn to the right to enter the lounge area. Inside you'll find high ceilings of exposed wood, warm colors painted on the walls and floor. I was in just last night and there was outdoor sidewalk seating available. We love to eat outdoors when possible and the weather was perfect and had there been room I think I would have preferred to be outside. The air conditioning made things a bit too cold inside and because it's one of those places that has that slightly industrial look and feel to it, there's a lot of concrete which makes it very loud.

I've only been in for Happy Hour, when the price is just right for me. Tapas $3 to $4. Cosmopolitans, Lemon Drops, Martinis, Manhattans, and Margaritas are $3. The only Happy Hour beer they had was Coors light, which is kind of a sin in this brew town. They'll get you on the price of the craft beers, which I think are $4.25 for a pint.

Happy Hour is 4.30-6.30 and all day Sunday. The menu also says there is another Happy Hour 9:30 to close but I didn't see that information on their web site. No Happy Hour though on First Thursday, when everyone and their grandma is out to check out the galleries and art.

Just remember though, I've never been here for lunch or dinner, only Happy Hour and that's what my price selection reflects.

Favorite Dish: I had an unusual Caesar salad with manchengo cheese which they turn into their own creation by adding roasted corn. Tasty and only $3. I would have liked it more though if there had been a bit less dressing on it.

I also had the coconut shrimp which were good but there was too much sweet chili sauce on them...drowned out the shrimp flavor. $4

I really liked my mango margarita, which was delicious and $3. It came in a pint glass and on the rocks--all their margaritas come on the rocks, so I was told by our server. The only weird part was when I got my second margarita I noticed that the slice of lime was in fact HALF a lime. Was this a mistake or were they trying to get out of giving me more drink? Half of any citrus fruit that's supposed to be garnish seems a bit overkill.

• Douglas Fir Restaurant & Lounge: MUST DO DINING

by cglendinning Updated Feb 4, 2005

Great atmoshere and outstanding food! Very affordable too. The place is open 21 hours a day...limited, but still varied menu after 11pm.

Fantastic job on the decor...50's modern lodge. Warm & comfy with style. Service was friendly and professional.

Only wish we had been able to catch a band down in the lounge and made time to eat there more during our brief visit to Portland.

Instant Answers: Portland