Places to eat in Portland

• Restaurants
    by Roadquill
    The line just to get in...
    by Roadquill
  • Restaurants
    by Agraichen

Most Viewed Restaurants in Portland

cafe Nell: Lite or Full Dining

by Roadquill Written Jan 18, 2014

The "cafe" part is rather a misnomer. Too nice in my book for just a cafe. There is a small bar/lounge area as you enter, and a rather small restaurant. Nicely appointed. Eclectic mix on the menu, including the wine list. I had local oysters on the half shell, and a soup, nicely prepared. The cioppino (in two sizes) was delicious as was the brussels sprouts salad (more of a warm grilled vegetable plate than a salad) We ate at one end of the lounge (the place was packed on a Friday night), on comfortable couches and small tables. The prosecco was perfect with dinner. The service was friendly and we felt very welcome.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

Shut Up and Eat: LARGE portions

by Agraichen Written Sep 6, 2013

Shut Up and Eat is a relatively new restaurant in the SE area of Portland. Located at the corner of Gladston and Caesar Chavez it has something for most everyone. Warning, the sandwiches are large and delicious.

Favorite Dish: Meatball sandwich is my favorite but the home made potato chips can be a meal themselves. Everything I've had here is wonderful.

• kehale's Profile Photo

24th & Meatballs: Tasty Balls!

by kehale Written Mar 1, 2013

We found them kind of "by accident", when we were on our quest to find Pie Spot (you can find my review for Pie Spot on here as well). The night after we visited Pie Spot, we were on the hunt for a good dinner place that would be good for our 16 month old as well. We hunted and hunted, and after not finding something that excited us, we decided to head back to 24th & Meatballs to give it a try... and I'm so glad we did. From the outside, the neighbourhood doesn't seem like much (to us being tourists anyway), but the immediate area where the restaurant is located seems to be coming up, with other delicious food options nearby. Inside is small and welcoming. They are obviously great for take out, but they do have some small tables for eating in if you want. The staff was friendly & the food was delicious - what else could you possibly want?

Favorite Dish: I ordered the House made Rigatoni + Balls with the Tomato Basil Sauce, and it was exactly what I needed after some crazy eating over the weekend. The Rigatoni was light and delicious, and the portions were not crazy huge. Our little one loved it as well. I would definitely order this again!
    A great option of course is to choose your type of Balls (all kinds of different meat options, and even a vegan option is that more your thing), and then you can choose your own sauce. This is what my other half got, and so good! This place really does have Portland's Tastiest Balls!

The Interior Delicious Rigatoni & Balls

• kehale's Profile Photo

Cartlandia - Food Trucks!: All The Choice You Could Want!

by kehale Written Feb 28, 2013

Cartlandia was exactly what we wanted to find when we visited Portland! It's not right downtown, so it's better to get to if you are driving & yes, it is worth the visit! It's a small food truck park just outside of the city, with so many options for food you will LOVE IT! Portland has a great selection of food trucks, so this was only one of many food truck parks. If you love trying out food trucks than Portland is your city!

The London Pasty Co - SO YUMMY! Fun for the Whole Family!!

• glabah's Profile Photo

Wilf's Restaurant and Bar: The Best (and Only) Restaurant at Union Station

by glabah Written Oct 16, 2012

NOTE: Wilf's is Closed on Sundays!

Originally Wilf's developed a reputation for being fairly expensive because it was more expensive than other restaurants around it. However, these days, Wilf's pricing is pretty close to what you will find in many areas of Portland, and certainly a bit less expensive than the typical downtown Portland, and certainly among those places in the nearby Pearl district.

Obviously, the most unique thing about Wilf's is its location: it is the only restaurant that is located inside Union Station. While they don't specifically advertise their services to Amtrak customers they do not mind making adjustments to suit Amtrak passengers. For example, many orders may be requested to go (Amtrak doesn't allow alcohol purchased outside the train on board, so that's out) and they seem to do a reasonable job of making sure that you get your food reasonably quickly if you mention that you are headed for a train. The staff may make some suggestions about food that is more quickly prepared in that case as well.

There is live music on Wednesday through Saturday evenings, and during those times a cover charge is usually in effect.

Almost always this music is jazz of some sort, and the arrangement of Wilf's is to try to recall the classic Jazz clubs of the Pacific Northwest in the 1940s and 1950s. The restaurant was founded in 1975, and in some ways has become as much a part of the historic fabric of the station as many of the other features.

Favorite Dish: I've had the Portobello Sandwich (Marianated mushroom on pub bun, presto, Smoked Mozzarella, tomato and mixed greens and a side of fries) for $10, and it was quite good, and a cut above the typical pub grub.

The Washington Apple is Elijah Craig, Apple Pucker and a Splash of Cranberry for $8.50

Entrance to Wilf's on South Side of Station Interior Harkens to Age of Portland's Jazz Clubs Washington Apple for $8.5

Equinox: Excellent food, low key

by Roadquill Written Aug 18, 2012

Casual patio dining, friendly service and an interesting , well prepared menu. Three of us enjoyed the red snapper prepared with a savory and bacon topping. I opted with the chick pea crepe, filled with chicken and greens with a light cheese sauce. Very tasty. The wine list was limited, but reasonably priced. The California McMannis voignier went well with our meal.

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Food Trucks!: Food Truck Galore!

by staindesign Written Mar 15, 2012

This is a very cool area of downtown. There is a whole full square block lined with food trucks and about a half a block more across from the square. You can find practically anything, Korean BBQ, Thai noodles, Japanese sushi, Cuban, Southern BBQ, Etheopian, Tacos, German Sasages, Ice cream, Fresh Donuts, etc.

Favorite Dish: I tried the Cuban truck. The Cuban sandwich with Tostones was amazing. I wanted those fresh made donuts, but I was too full. :-)

One side of the downtown food cart block

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Noble Rot: Dinner with a view of Portland Skyline

by staindesign Written Mar 15, 2012

This is the most trendy and delicious happy hour in town. From 5-6pm, you can have a half price meal and WINE while you enjoy a great sunset setting behind the mountains behind the city. After the sun sets the skyline is just lovely. It is totally bang for your buck, make sure you get a patio table!

Favorite Dish: I had the $10.50 meal, a goat cheese and squash panini and glass of house shiraz. Can't beat that!

Wine Bar Skyline view

Jory Restaurant: Jory in nearby Newberg

by Roadquill Updated Oct 5, 2011

We enjoyed a very nice meal at the Jory Restaurant in nearby Newberg, Oregon. The restaurant is in the Allison Spa and Restaurant complex and probably a 20 minute drive from Portland. In addition to an excellent meal, good wine and company, there was a light jazz band playing.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the chartucerie plate of local produced meats..

• Basta's Trattoria: The most delicious Italian outside of Italy

by Pinguino Updated Apr 4, 2011

It's the most authentic Italian eatery I've found, yet. Complete with delicious wines and seasonal treats. I've never had anything less than impressive here.

I love that you will find every kind of person here, in every type of clothing.. enjoying wonderful food in great ambience without judgement.

Favorite Dish: Wild Boar, when it's in season!

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Capitol Bistro & Cafe: Everything is YUMMY!

by deWilde Updated Apr 4, 2011

Why is it that the best restaurants are always hidden. We have lived near this one for over a year and just found it. We thought it was a “café” and expected the usual sandwiches and such – no such case. Even the sandwiches are spectacular but it is really about the other dishes. Don’t let the cute old café stylings of the main floor fool you - sit upstairs for a good look at the current artwork and rich dark wood setting. This wonderful restaurant is run by Kevin and Colleen. It is yet another of the many family run places we are falling in love with. You really can see and taste the difference! It’s like eating at a really famous chefs house

Favorite Dish: I dont know that there is one thing to recommend. It is all great! I guess I would say to try the butternut squash soup [soup changes daily], as it is mouth watering!!!

Misc Food and Interior Shots Outside - You can see the back of my car.  LOL Corner Table Red Snapper and Couscous Upstairs Dining
    • Singles

• rmdw's Profile Photo

Grand Central Bakery: Yummy Baked Goods!

by rmdw Updated Apr 4, 2011

I discovered this place because a friend of mine used to work here when she was going to university in Portland. It has a wide variety of bread and other baked goods!

There are several locations but I'm familiar with the one on Hawthorne Blvd., in SE Portland.

Grand Central Bakery - Portland, OR

Red Star Tavern and Roast: Classic Tavern

by Roadquill Updated Mar 2, 2011

We enjoyed lunch at the Red Star which as a very upscale feel about it. They feature a large whiskey selection, but for lunch I enjoyed a very creamy ale. The menu is very creative, with quinoa salads or greens with dry jack and hazelnuts, to basics such as burgers and pulled pork sandwiches. Service was attentive and friendly.

Favorite Dish: The salads were excellent.

Artwork at Red Star Tavern Interior of Red Star Tavern

Pazzo Ristorante: Downtown Italian

by Roadquill Written Jan 31, 2011

Pazzo is a nice Italian restaurant, more upscale where you can get a very nice dinner. A lot of wood gives it an elegant feel. The service was good. The menu features items like proscuitto in pine bud syrup and gnocchi with wild boar ragu.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Porto Terra: Not quite like Tuscany, but close enough!

by Jefie Updated Dec 26, 2010

The one thing I did enjoy about the Hilton was its restaurant, Porto Terra, located at the Hilton Executive Tower (across the street from the main building). We had lunch there during our conference, and the menu offered a nice selection of Italian dishes inspired by the fine cuisine of Tuscany. My eyes immediately focused on the risotto section since that's my favourite Italian dish, and I decided to give the chicken risotto a try since it seemed different from anything I'd ever tasted (it's made with spinach, tomatoes, artichoke, chicken and goat cheese). It was really good, so good in fact that I made a mental note to try this recipe at home. The only thing I wasn't too crazy about was the atmosphere - even though the restaurant is nicely decorated in terra cotta tones, it somehow feels like the kind of place you go to for business lunches. For this reason, I would recommend it as a good place for a quick, affordable lunch, but definitely not for a romantic dinner.

Really good risotto at Portland's Porto Terra

Latest: Jul 5, 2014
Motel 6 Portland North
Latest: Jul 2, 2014

Instant Answers: Portland

Comments

Portland Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Portland locals.
Map of Portland