Upscale, Portland

4.5 out of 5 stars 48 Reviews

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Carlyle: Lunch at Carlyle Was Exquisite!

by orcoastgirl Written Oct 21, 2006

Egg Salad Sandwich on Brioche

We had lunch at this Portland eatery last February. The dining room is very pretty and the tables are well appointed. Our service throughout our meal was average and the food very fresh.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed the Green Salad with Cinderalla pumpkin, the Egg Salad Sandwich on Brioche and the Sea Scallops. My husband had the Carlyle burger which he said was great.

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Fenouil: Lovely Lunch at Fenouil in the Portland Pearl

by orcoastgirl Written Oct 21, 2006

Enrance to Fenouil in the Pearl District

Very elegant ambiance at Fenouil. I shared a very nice lunch here in June with my husband and daughter. Service was very efficient and the food was all beautifully presented and very fresh. We will return

Favorite Dish: Butter Lettuces Salad, the Salmon and Profiteroles and Creme Brulee for dessert.

• Chip_Master's Profile Photo

Upscale: Upscale NW Seafood

by Chip_Master Updated Oct 10, 2006

The other must eat at NW resturant is McCormick's Fish House & Bar. Like Jakes its causal upscale with a great variety of the freshest that the NW has to offer.

Favorite Dish: Salmon as expected, but their Tuna is always a temptation!

• TrvlnGrrl's Profile Photo

Portland City Grill: Don't Miss Happy Hour..if you can get a seat!

by TrvlnGrrl Updated Aug 3, 2006

Also known as "the grill" if you're from Portland. Just look for "the big pink" the shiny pinkish building in the sky. It's on the 30th floor of one of the tallest buildings in Portland with an amazing view if you are lucky enough to get a window seat. The bar's happy hour is the best way to taste some of the amazing food, a great cocktail and watch as the afternoon fades to evening for a price you can afford. It has a loungy feeling with lower ceilings and a piano player, perfect for enjoying conversation with pals. They don't seem to have their happy hour menu posted on their website anymore but you can find appetizers such as "Blank Tiger Shrimp Tempura with hot soy mustard and pineapple puree" and "Teriyaki Chicken Rice paper roles" for less that $4.00. (you'll pay much higher prices if not during happy hour) Their wine list is extinsive and their martinis good.
    You might have to wait a while for a table, and sometimes I must admit I have given up. But circle around a couple times and sometimes friendly people will let you know they are leaving soon, or get a drink next to the piano.

Favorite Dish: I love their chicken lettuce wraps. Chicken cooked with lots of flavor and spices served with fresh lettuce cups that you spoon the chicken mixture into..add veggie and a little sauce..yumm! A little messy but definately worth it. I also love the French Martini...sweet but not too sweet, topped off with a little champagne.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Wildwood Restaurant & Bar: Parking is a pain - but the food was good.

by deWilde Written May 25, 2006

Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin

I wish I could say I have a favorite dish but most everything is good. There have been times when the food was better than the last time and the servers were nicer than prior - overall it has always been worth the visit. The biggest downfall to this and many restaurants is that it gets busy and the noise levels make it hard to ave a nice conversation without yelling.

Wildwood is open seven days a week.
    Lunch: Mon – Sat 11:30 am-2:30 pm
    Dinner: Mon – Thur 5:30 pm-9 pm
    Fri – Sat 5:30 pm-10 pm
    Family Style Supper: Sunday 5 pm- 8:30 pm
    Chalkboard Menu: available in the bar (Monday - Saturday) after 2:30 pm

• Singles

SauceBox: General Tso at the Sauce

by deWilde Updated May 8, 2006

The sink outside the restrooms.

The food is fantastic, the ambience is wonderful and this is definitely a people watching place. I'll write more later.

Favorite Dish: Their General Tso's Chicken is to die for. It is beautifully presented and the tast is great, nice and spicy.

• Singles
    • Business Travel

• Bluehour: Best Place for a Break-Up

by Paul60 Written Nov 8, 2005

A leading magazine in Portland rated Bluehour as the "Best Place to Break-Up" for 2005.

This place is very hip looking.. very modern.. It has a very nice bar scene with great drinks. A great place to see and be seen..

But at the end, the price that you pay ain't worth it - way too expensive for what you get.

If it's the Best Place to Break-Up in Portland, you can find a much cheaper place.

It has a cool looking web site.. The web site is much better than the food.

Favorite Dish: The drinks and some of the artisanal cheeses.. The food: so-so.

• Paley's Place: Best Restaurant in Portland

by Paul60 Written Nov 8, 2005

Paley's place is Portland's best restaurant. And for the amount you spend, it is probably the best value restaurant from SF to Seattle.

The chef is the 2005 James Beard Award winner for Best Chef in the Northwest/Hawaii region. This says it all.

If the weather cooperates, enjoy your meal on the front porch.

Favorite Dish: None of the seafood is farm raised. All the produce and vegetables are local. Everything is made in-house (except for the bread).

• vjoe's Profile Photo

Paley's Place: in the news lately

by vjoe Written Aug 13, 2005

Paley has been in the news lately and has won various awards such as
    BEST CHEF 2005 JAMES BEARD AWARD.

The restaurant is small, cozy and crisp. It is on 21st, a trendy spot in Portland. They serve Northwest food, but has quite a bit of French influence. The food is good, nice little spot for a romantic get away.

Favorite Dish: Steak Tartar was great!!! best I've had.
    Forgot what else we had. Escargo was not impressive.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Portland City Grill: A restaurant with a view!

by deWilde Updated Jul 29, 2005

One of many views

The Grill [as we call it] is a definite place to visit whether you live in Portland or are just passing through. The restaurant interior is beautiful. Nice dark woods with large thick beams above giving an overall warm and cozy yet upper crust feel to the place. The food is wonderful and nicely presented. The service at lunch was good but better in the evening. The one thing that The Grill offers over other high end locations is its view. You have almost a 360 degree view of the city. The only thing you don’t have a great view of is NW Portland, but that is better seen on foot. Overall, I would recommend going at least once to experience it yourself. Be prepared to spend a minimum $40, but you can easily spend more.

Favorite Dish: I'm not sure that you can have a favorite. The Mahi Mahi is one to try, especially if you like fish. The Tenderloin Beef is also very good.

One time I ordered the duck. It was tastless and chewy. Maybe a bad night for the chef - regardless I have yet to try it again.

• Business Travel

• deWilde's Profile Photo

The Farm Cafe: If Green Acres had a restaurant - this is it!

by deWilde Written Jul 29, 2005

A few bites

Upon entering you are greeted by the bar. The walls are painted in muted earth tones and the furnishings are dark wood. I have only been in the evening so the lighting is low but radiates the room. The staff is very nice and helpful. They do not take reservations so make sure to leave yourself time as most days there is a wait due to the small size of the restaurant. The walls are ordained with small works of art most likely from local artists.

At our last visit we went with some friends, one on an internet date (he seemed normal so maybe these sites do work). Food ordered included the vegan farmhouse burger. I can't remember what all was in it but it definitely had eggplant. Although the husband hates eggplant, he loved his burger. I had the salmon and it was good. Nothing over the top, not a ton of flavor and was served on a fettuccine noodle with a creamy basil sauce. A friend got the mushroom and gorgonzola ravioli. It was very creamy and well worth getting. Another friend ordered the Halibut (with yellow sauce). Although we were all sampling each others plates I didn’t get a sample because Mandy and her man were devouring it with orgasmic type noises. I heard it was fabulous. =)

We tried three different desserts: the cheesecake, a cherry pie type thing and their molten chocolate soufflé. I had heard the cheesecake was great but I wasn’t impressed. It was okay but nothing I would order again. It was served with a dulce de leche sauce and pecans. The cherry dish was a creamy piece of pie with huge cherry chunks. It was better than the cheesecake but still not something I would get again. The molten chocolate soufflé was heavenly and they have obviously mastered that dish. It was topped with a scoop of coffee ice cream. It was beyond words and worth getting.
    All in all it was a great place to try and doesn’t hurt that it is but minutes from our place. If in the area you might also want to try Doug Fir which is located a half block down on Burnside. I’ll add photos for that soon.

Favorite Dish: Try the vegan farmhouse burger and the molten chocolate soufflé. Both are divine.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Clarklewis: Slow Service - Dont go if in a rush!

by deWilde Updated Jul 19, 2005

The first time we tried eating at Clarklewis we were in comfy clothes and I could tell the minute the host saw us that we weren’t getting a table. Not for lack of tables but because of our attire. The next time we dressed to the 9s and were seated immediately. The space incorporates high warehouse style ceilings and looks industrial with exposed pipes/air ducts. The furniture is dark but not heavy - café style chairs/tables. I found it uncomfortable and not what I expected considering the industrial setting. The rooms are barely lit and the noise from the nearby conversations echo off the cement walls. Truly one of the loudest restaurants I have ever been in and we were hoarse by the end of the evening. The wait staff must be from royal decent as they are far more important than you. We had to practically beg our waitress for a drink and she couldn’t describe the food to save her. The menu is hard to understand as it offers different prices under the headings ‘Small’, ‘Large’ and ‘Family’ size. It’s complicated and the serving sizes should be worded as ‘2 bites’, ‘4 bites’ and ‘average serving’. The food was good, no complaints about the taste but the servings were very small considering we ordered ‘large’. We shared a salad which was very good and used some sort of butter lettuce. It was very crisp and smooth, not watery. In addition we tried their roast and the squab (pigeon). The roast was small but juicy and flavorful. It was served with sweet potato mash? It was okay. The Squab was obviously small but was equally satisfying. My only complaint - dessert. When ordered it was described as this marvelous thing that sounded like a layered cake. To our surprise we were handed a thin rectangle piece of ice cream a top a sweet and sour sauce with two Milano style cookies. It tasted like it had freezer burn and had an odd texture to it - not worth getting. All in all it was an okay experience but based on the staff, small portions and high prices I have yet to return.

Favorite Dish: If on the menu - try the squab. It was delicate, juicy and have a wonderful sauce. Avoid the ice cream dessert. =)

• lareina's Profile Photo

Urban Fondue: Fondurific!

by lareina Written Jan 15, 2005

This new fondue restaurant in NW Portland is one of the latest hot spots in dining. The mood is dark and warm with red walls and large plush booths. The server we had was the best we've had in a long while. The main courses and dinner fondues looked fabulous.

I went there for the chocolate fondue dessert and a martini. We split a fondue between five and our bills each came out to around $10 and we were quite satisfied. I tell you this to prove that you can even hit this restaurant up on the cheapside.

PS You can order martinis from the exhaustive list from next door at bartini. Between the fondue menu and the martini menu there is plenty of wonderful things to choose from.

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

750ml: Wine Bar+

by Shaft28 Updated Oct 13, 2004

This small wine bar can be a lot of fun. Get a few friends, grab a table and choose one of many "packages" of wine tasting.
    Wines range in price and taste to suit everyone.
    Dinner is "small dishes". I'm torn on these. You get to sample a lot of great Northwest dishes - good. You pay full price - bad.
    If you plan to eat a full meal and taste wine, expect $40 a piece - at least. I suggests a snack and go for the wine. Great feel to he place but it can be inconsistant and the price will always make you wallet jump a little...how much and I'm still hungry?

Favorite Dish: Our favorites are the pom frittes and the rabbit. Excellent, but very rich. Skip the desserts unless you just want a chololate plate.

• ccvisit's Profile Photo

OBA!: Prime Rib like buttah

by ccvisit Written Oct 7, 2004

OBA! is located in the Pearl District, which used to consist of run-down warehouses, but now the properties have been converted to loftier lofts.

It's Cuban fusion, meaning, nothing is really authentic Cuban soul food like mama used to make, but do not let that deter you. The food is DAMN GOOD.

It's a cool interiror, nice date place, but they also cater to large parties as well. Make reservations as they fill up. My mouth is watering as I write just remembering how tender that prime rib was! It almost hurts.

Good service as well. Maybe it was just the night we went, but it seemed as if all the women wait-staff had their hair up in Princess Leah (sp?) like fashion.

Favorite Dish: I had the 12 oz. Prime Rib (you can choose the 16 oz. if you so wish). Had it medium, but they have rare plus, medium plus, etc. to inidcate a state between rare and medium rare. Had no clue that even existed.

Had the Langostinos for appetizers. It's served over rice and nicely spicy. Fundido was a nice dip with mushrooms and some seafood, I think.

Bri had the swordfish w/ macademia crusts--oh man!!! Flavors in every bite and not just on the outside of the fish. My friends tell me that the fancy schmancy enchilada was excellent too.

Desserts: Banana cake to die for. It was almost like a tiramisu, but instead of lady fingers, they used banana cake. Cheesecake was only aight.

Instant Answers: Portland