Upscale, Portland

4.5 out of 5 stars 48 Reviews

• phildeni's Profile Photo

Wildwood Restaurant and Bar: Try it all

by phildeni Updated Oct 4, 2004

A restaurant that serves truly Pacific Northwest Cuisine. The "upscale" place is still comfortable and there is no dress code, but I doubt if shorts and sandals would be acceptable.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes daily, and I have never had a bad meal.

• mcpangie's Profile Photo

Upscale: Jake's Famous Crawfish

by mcpangie Updated Jun 3, 2004

Crawfish

I was sitting there eating trying to imagine what the street looked like in 1892 when this popular restaurant was getting its start. This restaurant has been a favorite for decades though, and over the years artists and other famous people frequented the place.

I found the prices to be very reasonable considering the popularity and sense of "upscale" that I got.

It has a small bar that was busy, and it seemed as if "regulars" were there.

The bar and sidewalk are first-come first-serve. Reservations were definitely needed to get a table during dinner hour. I found the service on the sidewalk was too slow, we were there for hours, literally... 3. We wanted to leave quite a bit earlier and finally had to track down our waitress.

Valet parking was $8, parking downtown was crowded so many patrons took this option.

The couple that ate behind us brought their dog. It was so cute. This little poodle sat there quietly for an hour and watched the traffic with me.

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Manzana: Rotisserie And Grill

by TashieKitten Updated Jul 17, 2003

Arts and Crafts style light fixtures and lots of wood make this a very comfortable place to eat. Hit and miss with the wait staff, some super-friendly, others...well, bad day maybe?

Favorite Dish: We eat here for Happy Hour. $1.95 salads and excellent hummus. The salmon cakes are also very tasty. My husband loves the grilled hamburger. Inexpensive pints of beer and I'm always happy with a vodka tonic for $4.25.

The white bean hummus and pita bread is certainly enough food to share with another person. Chopped tomatoes are used as a garnish on top of the hummus.

The Caesar salad has maybe a bit too much dressing for my liking, though my husband doesn't seem to mind. The croutons in the salad are huge and tasty and there is a pepper mill on the table for those who like fresh cracked pepper on their salads.

• TashieKitten's Profile Photo

Portland City Grill: Try for a window seat! View of the City.

by TashieKitten Updated Jul 17, 2003
    US Bank Tower-Portland City Grill on 30th floor.

An unobstructed view of Portland from 30 stories up...this place has got ATMOSPHERE. Low ceilings inside make it intimate. Piano player plays nice tunes. Happy Hour or Fine Dining. It's your choice. I have since changed my view on the cuisine. The portion sizes are, compared to other Happy Hours in town, rather small and more expensive (for Happy Hour). The service is always attentive though, considering how many people are usually in there. I've yet to snag a window seat, so the views I've had have always been from afar. I would say the biggest attraction is just the view. Also, being an average sized woman, at 5 feet 3 inches, my feet do NOT touch the footrest on the bar stools. This is not a comfortable way to sit, always feeling you're about to fall off. Though I'll admit, it beats standing!

Favorite Dish: First and foremost: Drinks are NOT discounted during Happy Hour. This displeased me since I was REALLY looking forward to a Cosmopolitan and was not going to pay $7.50 for it.

That said, I enjoyed my chili rubbed tuna over rice. However, $3.95 for Happy Hour fare is expensive, comparatively. I would expect to pay no more than $2.99 for Happy Hour food. That's the idea. Cheap food, good drinks. They make money.

Also, I must mention...so much meat on the Happy Hour menu! Luckily I'm a vegetarian who eats seafood (sometimes) and there's not much on the menu if you're vegan sans the baby greens salad and that's only if you ask them to leave off the feta.

I'd recommend A DRINK (to get your parking validated) check out the view and move on.

The Heathman: Best Hotel dining

by Shaft28 Updated Jun 10, 2003

I'm fortunate that my wife's work spends a lot of time working with or next door to the Heathman. We get to spend many late night dinners here and love it.
    Superb service and a fantastic local menu that is hard to beat. Great spot to grab a bite before or after a concert at the Schnitz next door.

Favorite Dish: For a light meal try the cheese plate - fantastic. Otherwise try the specials and whatever you do have the bread pudding for desert.

Sin Ju: Top Japanese food in Portland

by Shaft28 Written Jun 4, 2003

We just stunmbled onto this place by accident - Sin Ju (Pearl in Japanese) in Portland's Pearl District.
    Very nice place, definatley the first true high-end Japanese restaurant in town. And the food was amazing. The sushi was so fresh, well made and honestly could be the best I've ever had. Even better than the great spots in the Bay Area California.
    Amazing place, you'll love it.

Favorite Dish: The gyoza and spider roll were the best I have ever had. A few rolls I'd never tried before were amazing too. Lovd it all.

• jmcboulder's Profile Photo

Lush: Sushi for Drunks - Lush

by jmcboulder Written Mar 11, 2003

Restaurant Shot

Good restaurant, gone bad. Lush, located next door to Level has turned it's once excellent menu into quite possibly the worst Japanese food on earth. If you ever end up going here, first of all, you'll be sorry, but second of all, make sure you have had one too many drinks. The sushi is not fresh, nor is it presented well. The staff is friendly, although you can only put up with so much when spending a large sum of money on a sub-par meal.

Favorite Dish: Sadly, the Hokkigai was small and gamey. The Amaebi was missing the sauce and the spicy tuna roll was not... spicy.

Blue Hour: Romantic night downtown

by Shaft28 Updated Feb 24, 2003

American cuisine with a Northwest flair/Mediterranean. Dimly lit with a very "hip" atmosphere. Cool little bar you can wait in with come very distinct mixed drinks.
    Not really quiet, but you still feel you have privacy.

Favorite Dish: While on a romantic night out we actually ran into an issue here. We'd had reservations, stopped by earlier and upon our return had to wait over a 1/2 hour to be seated.
    Normally I'd be upset, but the hostess and staff checked on us so many times and truly went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.
    FYI very good wine menu.
    They really took care of us at dinner as well.
    More than made up for the small inconvenience.
    The salmon specials are always wonderful, but try the red snapper if you get a chance - incredible.

Jake's Famous Crawfish: Old School Portland Dining

by Shaft28 Written Feb 14, 2003

Mmmm, shellfish

We took my fiancee's Aunt and Uncle here and had a fantastic meal. The other 3 being from Louisiana,
    I was worried they wouldn't want to eat here.
    Since they have such a wide variety they were happy as can be.
    We started with fantastic crab cakes and oysters on half shells to start. The chowder was very good, but not the best I've ever had.
    The mealks were mostly the stuffed salmon, shich I must say was worth every penny. Truly magnificent, the table was thrilled with the results. The tomba tuna was ok. I wish I'd gone for the ahi tuna but always worth trying something new.
    Desserts were very good.
    Although the meal did run $175 with tip, it was worth the fine dining experience they provided. Service was impeccible.
    (Her Aunt and Uncle still talk about it, now 8 months later, as one of the best meals they have ever had).

Favorite Dish: FYI- Web Info:
    Known for its historic atmosphere and excellent eats, Jake's Famous Crawfish is the spot to be when the downtown offices close shop. Established in 1892, this bar will give you a feel for Portland's history, while getting you acquainted with its current residents. Check out the inexpensive happy-hour bar menu.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

The Red Star: Oregon cuisine - their is such a thing!?!?

by caffeine_induced78 Written Jan 4, 2003

The Red Star

I don't remember the name of the lady but I do remember the heavenly dessert. Nothing like a rich piece of chocolate cake and a nice Red Wine. Most of the time I came here as it was the closest place to work. I'll see you at the Red Star after work. Drinks are not overpriced and some menu items are very reasonable in price. Reservations are needed for busy weekend nights and for large parties. Otherwise sit at the 6th barstool from the left and you might still see something of my ass-groove left. Oregon cuisine? I think the place just has to have salmon on the menu - and they do!

Favorite Dish: The crab cakes. Expensive but a very nice treat if you deserve it.

• ChillinToad's Profile Photo

Meat: Ringside Steakhouse. ...

by ChillinToad Written Sep 8, 2002

Meat: Ringside Steakhouse. Rated in the Top Ten in US. Thai: Thai Orchid. Italian: Sylvia's

Favorite Dish: Ringside:Onion Rings to Die for! Thai Orchid: Pad Thai or PaNang Curry. Sylvia's Lasagna no questiosn

• boulder72's Profile Photo

Portland Steak And Chop house,...

by boulder72 Written Aug 26, 2002

Portland Steak And Chop house, Or Ruth Criss They are both Awesome, A short drive west There is Sailors old country kitchen Home of the 72 oz steak.
    Beer Festival in July is pretty cool Oregon is home to many great brewerys. The blues festival is a great venue for live music and great food. On the water front for both events. And also in July

Favorite Dish: Steak, Steak, Steak, Steak

• McCormick and Schmick's...

by amelia3 Written Aug 25, 2002

McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurant
    On one side of the place is an expensive restaurant... I don't eat there. I go there for happy hour! If you go there for happy hour sit at the tables around the bar. They have a wonderful menu with each item only $1.95 (with $2.00 beverage purchase).

• Portland Steak and Chophouse...

by misypris Updated Aug 25, 2002

Portland Steak and Chophouse is wonderful, especially their Creme Brulee! Delicious! Jake's Grill is very nice and intimate with a playful approach to mood! Harborside & Pilsner Room is the place to be on a summer night when you can sit outside on the Esplanade!
    All of these restaurants will run you between $30 and $80 for two, depending on the time of day. The onion rings at Jake's Grill will shock you.....it seems almost bigger than the size of the average head! The steak and Portland Steak & Chophouse is too DIE for!

• phildeni's Profile Photo

Genoa...named Oregon...

by phildeni Updated Aug 24, 2002

Genoa...named Oregon restaurant of the year 2001.The cuisine is 'Reverential' Italian.
    Serves only 34 diners for dinner. It is expensive. Dinner for two with a modest bottle of wine will cost about $200.00. It is a 'once a year' type event.!!

Favorite Dish: The seven course fixed price ($68.00)dinner. The menu changes every two weeks. Some favorite main courses are Dijon marinated salmon,veal scaloppine, or rabbit braised in wine.There is an earlier seating for a four course dinner ($56.00).

Instant Answers: Portland