Upscale, Portland

4.5 out of 5 stars 48 Reviews

• ccvisit's Profile Photo

OBA!: Prime Rib like buttah

by ccvisit Written Oct 7, 2004

OBA! is located in the Pearl District, which used to consist of run-down warehouses, but now the properties have been converted to loftier lofts.

It's Cuban fusion, meaning, nothing is really authentic Cuban soul food like mama used to make, but do not let that deter you. The food is DAMN GOOD.

It's a cool interiror, nice date place, but they also cater to large parties as well. Make reservations as they fill up. My mouth is watering as I write just remembering how tender that prime rib was! It almost hurts.

Good service as well. Maybe it was just the night we went, but it seemed as if all the women wait-staff had their hair up in Princess Leah (sp?) like fashion.

Favorite Dish: I had the 12 oz. Prime Rib (you can choose the 16 oz. if you so wish). Had it medium, but they have rare plus, medium plus, etc. to inidcate a state between rare and medium rare. Had no clue that even existed.

Had the Langostinos for appetizers. It's served over rice and nicely spicy. Fundido was a nice dip with mushrooms and some seafood, I think.

Bri had the swordfish w/ macademia crusts--oh man!!! Flavors in every bite and not just on the outside of the fish. My friends tell me that the fancy schmancy enchilada was excellent too.

Desserts: Banana cake to die for. It was almost like a tiramisu, but instead of lady fingers, they used banana cake. Cheesecake was only aight.

Sin Ju: Top Japanese food in Portland

by Shaft28 Written Jun 4, 2003

We just stunmbled onto this place by accident - Sin Ju (Pearl in Japanese) in Portland's Pearl District.
    Very nice place, definatley the first true high-end Japanese restaurant in town. And the food was amazing. The sushi was so fresh, well made and honestly could be the best I've ever had. Even better than the great spots in the Bay Area California.
    Amazing place, you'll love it.

Favorite Dish: The gyoza and spider roll were the best I have ever had. A few rolls I'd never tried before were amazing too. Lovd it all.

Blue Hour: Romantic night downtown

by Shaft28 Updated Feb 24, 2003

American cuisine with a Northwest flair/Mediterranean. Dimly lit with a very "hip" atmosphere. Cool little bar you can wait in with come very distinct mixed drinks.
    Not really quiet, but you still feel you have privacy.

Favorite Dish: While on a romantic night out we actually ran into an issue here. We'd had reservations, stopped by earlier and upon our return had to wait over a 1/2 hour to be seated.
    Normally I'd be upset, but the hostess and staff checked on us so many times and truly went out of their way to make us feel comfortable.
    FYI very good wine menu.
    They really took care of us at dinner as well.
    More than made up for the small inconvenience.
    The salmon specials are always wonderful, but try the red snapper if you get a chance - incredible.

Southpark Seafood Grill & Wine Bar: Dowtown Pac NW Seafood

by Shaft28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Southpark boasts some of the most creative seafood and NW dished in town, as well as one of the best stocked wine selections.
    Upscale, yet you can still see a local in jeans here- it is Portland afterall.

Favorite Dish: The parchment chicken and any of the seafood specials are always excellent. My favorite is the plank salmon and the ahi tuna.
    Desserts are also to be mentioned, they are that good.

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Higgins: Great restaurant and better bar

Wrong Higgins!

So I tried this place when my best friend Higgins was in town. It was excellent.
    Upscale restaurant with a bar that makes anyone welcome. Expect a wait.

Favorite Dish: I love their pastas here. Very untraditional.
    They usually have a halibut that we enjoy and duck if that is your taste.
    The bar (or bistro) has a different menu that seems to be better priced. We lov eto pop in after a concert for a drink and dessert.

Ruth's Chris: Best Steak House in Town

by Shaft28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I know this is a chain, but compared to the other steak houses...well there is no comparison.
    It is expensive, but you just can't beat their beef. (yes I am laughing)
    Locals may push for one of two other places, but that is only because they have been daunted at R.C. prices to try the superior meal. Fools.

Favorite Dish: Filet mignon is the best. They tend to cook all their beef on the rare side, so it you like medium, order medium well to well.
    Side dished- love the lettuce wedge and the mashed potatos.

Le Bistro Montage: Good late night meal

oyster shooter

Ok, Montage hails as being a fine dinning place for Cajun/Creole/French place in a casual atmosphere - but it isn't that good. Best thing about it is the hours- 2am on weekdays and 4am on weekends.
    The waiters have a schtick of yelling and being somewhat snobby. Actually it is quite annoying.
    But the food is good (not great) especially after a few drinks at 3am.

Favorite Dish: Honestly I don't love their oyster shooters. The jambalaya is fair, but my favorite is a special called Bobo. Too hard to describe.
    Nothing that outstanding on the menu, and I am going to marry a true Cajun so I know how good the food can be.

• Shaft28's Profile Photo

Besaw's Cafe: Tuesday Night Special!

by Shaft28 Updated Apr 4, 2011

On Tuesday's they have a dinner for two selection for $35.99 which includes wine, soup, salad, entree and dessert. All fantastic and you have several of each item to choose from. Loved the red wine, enjoyed the chili very much, the salads were simple yet exactly what was needed and wonderful dinners. ost of us had the blackened catfish. Although not traditional it was very good. Very fresh and a large serving over sweet potatos and green beans with a pear chutney. One ofther had the pesto shrip and he enjoyed it. We all went for the brown betty which was superb. I have to say, an amazing meal for a great price and the chef served most of the dishes to us. Seems like a really good guy and gave my fiancee a hard time for skipping one course. Highly recommend, great local feel and selection of comfort food.

Favorite Dish: Price vaires, the Tuesday night special seems steep- the the value is unbelievable.
    For a typical entree, the prices are very reasonable.

Jake's Famous Crawfish: Old School Portland Dining

by Shaft28 Written Feb 14, 2003

Mmmm, shellfish

We took my fiancee's Aunt and Uncle here and had a fantastic meal. The other 3 being from Louisiana,
    I was worried they wouldn't want to eat here.
    Since they have such a wide variety they were happy as can be.
    We started with fantastic crab cakes and oysters on half shells to start. The chowder was very good, but not the best I've ever had.
    The mealks were mostly the stuffed salmon, shich I must say was worth every penny. Truly magnificent, the table was thrilled with the results. The tomba tuna was ok. I wish I'd gone for the ahi tuna but always worth trying something new.
    Desserts were very good.
    Although the meal did run $175 with tip, it was worth the fine dining experience they provided. Service was impeccible.
    (Her Aunt and Uncle still talk about it, now 8 months later, as one of the best meals they have ever had).

Favorite Dish: FYI- Web Info:
    Known for its historic atmosphere and excellent eats, Jake's Famous Crawfish is the spot to be when the downtown offices close shop. Established in 1892, this bar will give you a feel for Portland's history, while getting you acquainted with its current residents. Check out the inexpensive happy-hour bar menu.

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo

The Red Star: Oregon cuisine - their is such a thing!?!?

by caffeine_induced78 Written Jan 4, 2003

The Red Star

I don't remember the name of the lady but I do remember the heavenly dessert. Nothing like a rich piece of chocolate cake and a nice Red Wine. Most of the time I came here as it was the closest place to work. I'll see you at the Red Star after work. Drinks are not overpriced and some menu items are very reasonable in price. Reservations are needed for busy weekend nights and for large parties. Otherwise sit at the 6th barstool from the left and you might still see something of my ass-groove left. Oregon cuisine? I think the place just has to have salmon on the menu - and they do!

Favorite Dish: The crab cakes. Expensive but a very nice treat if you deserve it.

• phildeni's Profile Photo

Wildwood Restaurant and Bar: Try it all

by phildeni Updated Oct 4, 2004

A restaurant that serves truly Pacific Northwest Cuisine. The "upscale" place is still comfortable and there is no dress code, but I doubt if shorts and sandals would be acceptable.

Favorite Dish: The menu changes daily, and I have never had a bad meal.

• Paley's Place: Best Restaurant in Portland

by Paul60 Written Nov 8, 2005

Paley's place is Portland's best restaurant. And for the amount you spend, it is probably the best value restaurant from SF to Seattle.

The chef is the 2005 James Beard Award winner for Best Chef in the Northwest/Hawaii region. This says it all.

If the weather cooperates, enjoy your meal on the front porch.

Favorite Dish: None of the seafood is farm raised. All the produce and vegetables are local. Everything is made in-house (except for the bread).

• deWilde's Profile Photo

The Farm Cafe: If Green Acres had a restaurant - this is it!

by deWilde Written Jul 29, 2005

A few bites

Upon entering you are greeted by the bar. The walls are painted in muted earth tones and the furnishings are dark wood. I have only been in the evening so the lighting is low but radiates the room. The staff is very nice and helpful. They do not take reservations so make sure to leave yourself time as most days there is a wait due to the small size of the restaurant. The walls are ordained with small works of art most likely from local artists.

At our last visit we went with some friends, one on an internet date (he seemed normal so maybe these sites do work). Food ordered included the vegan farmhouse burger. I can't remember what all was in it but it definitely had eggplant. Although the husband hates eggplant, he loved his burger. I had the salmon and it was good. Nothing over the top, not a ton of flavor and was served on a fettuccine noodle with a creamy basil sauce. A friend got the mushroom and gorgonzola ravioli. It was very creamy and well worth getting. Another friend ordered the Halibut (with yellow sauce). Although we were all sampling each others plates I didn’t get a sample because Mandy and her man were devouring it with orgasmic type noises. I heard it was fabulous. =)

We tried three different desserts: the cheesecake, a cherry pie type thing and their molten chocolate soufflé. I had heard the cheesecake was great but I wasn’t impressed. It was okay but nothing I would order again. It was served with a dulce de leche sauce and pecans. The cherry dish was a creamy piece of pie with huge cherry chunks. It was better than the cheesecake but still not something I would get again. The molten chocolate soufflé was heavenly and they have obviously mastered that dish. It was topped with a scoop of coffee ice cream. It was beyond words and worth getting.
    All in all it was a great place to try and doesn’t hurt that it is but minutes from our place. If in the area you might also want to try Doug Fir which is located a half block down on Burnside. I’ll add photos for that soon.

Favorite Dish: Try the vegan farmhouse burger and the molten chocolate soufflé. Both are divine.

• deWilde's Profile Photo

Wildwood Restaurant & Bar: Parking is a pain - but the food was good.

by deWilde Written May 25, 2006

Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin

I wish I could say I have a favorite dish but most everything is good. There have been times when the food was better than the last time and the servers were nicer than prior - overall it has always been worth the visit. The biggest downfall to this and many restaurants is that it gets busy and the noise levels make it hard to ave a nice conversation without yelling.

Wildwood is open seven days a week.
    Lunch: Mon – Sat 11:30 am-2:30 pm
    Dinner: Mon – Thur 5:30 pm-9 pm
    Fri – Sat 5:30 pm-10 pm
    Family Style Supper: Sunday 5 pm- 8:30 pm
    Chalkboard Menu: available in the bar (Monday - Saturday) after 2:30 pm

• Singles

• vjoe's Profile Photo

Paley's Place: in the news lately

by vjoe Written Aug 13, 2005

Paley has been in the news lately and has won various awards such as
    BEST CHEF 2005 JAMES BEARD AWARD.

The restaurant is small, cozy and crisp. It is on 21st, a trendy spot in Portland. They serve Northwest food, but has quite a bit of French influence. The food is good, nice little spot for a romantic get away.

Favorite Dish: Steak Tartar was great!!! best I've had.
    Forgot what else we had. Escargo was not impressive.

Instant Answers: Portland