Places to eat in Oregon

• Restaurants
    by Roadquill
    The line just to get in...
    by Roadquill
  • Restaurants
    by Agraichen

Most Viewed Restaurants in Oregon

• wkmoku's Profile Photo

Waves of Grain: Marion Berry Scones

by wkmoku Updated Apr 4, 2011

While we were staying at Cannon Beach, we stumbled upon this cozy bakery as we departed the hotel parking lot. We immediately did a U-E, (u turn), and glad we did. As we got out of the rental car, you could sense the warm grains in the cool misty coast air. Bakeries are easy, warm, sweet. You smell them, see them.. then get to taste their warmth. The menu of breakfast pastries will keep you indecisive. One of those, that one, and this one here. Don't worry, your tummy will make the choices for you. In Hawaii we say "The eye mo big than the stomach". I had a marion berry scone and a bran muffin for later. I wish I bought more. The next day Sue and I got up early and walked the entire length of Cannon Beach. With no breakfast, I was ready for Waves of Grain. We selected a beach exit with stairs to a road where I thought the bakery would be. We were right on target. My tummy growled for the scones. When we got there, I could not smell the bakery. We learned the bakery was closed that Wednesday morning. Bummed, with my stomach in my hands, we settled on Pigs N Blanket. If you're ever at the south end of Cannon Beach, go to Waves of Grain. Have a scone, get warm with some expresso. Your tummy will be glad you did.

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo

The Coffee House: Start the day with huge pancakes!

by worldkiwi Updated Apr 4, 2011

This little restaurant is on the waterfront Bay Boulevard, down in the old town. I popped in here for breakfast on the morning of the day I headed south from Newport. I ordered a blueberry pancake. I had heard that American pancakes were big, but this was a whopper! The pancake was filled with juicy blueberries and topped with maple syrup and came with plenty of a buttery whipped cream like substance. It was all very delicious, but I couldn't eat it all! I think my whole breakfast with a latte, set me back only about US$10 or so.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

Higgins Restaurant: Food that Emeril can only dream about

by mtncorg Updated Apr 4, 2011

The food is truly amazing. Friends that visit America are always complaining to me that American cooking is boring or restricted to fast food. They haven't eaten here. The restaurant is at the forefront of what can be done with sustainable food. Greg Higgins is a local force is the Chef's Collaborative and is dedicated to serving the freshest, best ingredients in innovative manners. A James Beard award winning chef, he spends his off time in his garden seeing what is possible. And walking the outdoors foraging in a true pioneering fashion. In the Fall, he offers a dinner comprised completely of courses derived from mushrooms obtained from the forests of Oregon. It is a truly memorable meal. To go along with the superb food is an incredible wine list and a staff that is very knowledgeable in pairing a wine with your food choice. The bar offers a more informal setting. And then there is the beer! More Belgian beers than in Belgium. Chimay on tap:+) And local brews, too - afterall, Portland is the birthplace of the microbrewing revolution. One beer can only be found here, a Hair of the Dog creation know as Greg Beer.

Favorite Dish: The Fall special menu comprising of all courses created out of local Oregon mushrooms. We are not talking Portobellos!

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Tad's Chicken & Dumplings: Tad's Chic Dump

by american_tourister Updated Apr 4, 2011

You know you have found a special place when the neon sign is burned out and says "Tad's Chic Dump" . You have found the Mecca for Chicken and Dumplings.

Tad's is world famous but I had never heard of it. I stumbled on it in a little town called Troutdale which is on the scenic route to Multnomah Falls.

The sign is what drew me in. I stopped the car and approached the front door where I noticed another sign that asks "Please don't feed the Raccoons." I knew that I had found a quality establishment worth of my patronage.

It is heavily panneled and has seating with windows facing the river. The windows were open and there were these 50 pound fat boy raccoons sitting in trees waiting for a morsel. Apparently people toss tidbits out the window for them to scavenge.

We started with the smoked salmon appetizer. This is a slab of salmon with fresh picked red grapes and Tillamook cheese. That was washed down with Henry Weinhards Root Beer on tap. It was a meal in itself!

Following this we had two orders of Chicken n' Dumplings. You get what appears to be an entire boned chicken in a pot of gravy with two perfect dumplings the size of your fist. This is accompanied by hot rolls, butter, and another bowl of gravy. It is enough for two and it is opnly $11.99

My buddy and I loved this place and always made excuses to go back for another order. Tad's is always on my must visit list when I go to Portland.

I bought the T-Shirt and have worn it all over the world. I always get approached when I have it on. I was even approached by another Yank in Moscow who told me she loves the place.

Favorite Dish: Chicken & Dumplings. Just awesome. The best I have ever had. I'm getting hungry thinking about them.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo

Pelican Pub and Brewery: Pub and Brewery

by Roadquill Updated Jan 11, 2011

Large, open and comfortable pub right on the beach in Pacific City. An in house brewery provides an ample list of brews, for which I opted a darker ale. The staff found us a window table overlooking the beach and rock lined cover. Good service. The food was good, but no more than expected. The large parking lot provides ample space for both patrons and the public using the beach. On the day we enjoyed lunch, there were horses tied up in front. There is also a small gift shop in the front.

• Photography

• dee_1NiteAngel's Profile Photo

Marrakesh Morrocan Restaurant: Dining Morrocan Style!

by dee_1NiteAngel Updated Aug 19, 2010

Traditional Moroccan setting, featuring belly dancing. An oasis adorned with richly textured Moroccan rugs, ornate silver urns, and tapestries.

A dining experience that will not soon be forgotten! Atmosphere is authentic, attentive and pampering and rich in the finest eastern cuisine!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

Mo's Annex: We thought the location better than Mo's

by Segolily Written Jun 6, 2010

We went to Mo's Annex because Mo's wait time was too long. They were just across the street from each other. We were glad to get the view of the harbor that Mo's Annex had. I don't think they serve the same menu, so maybe Mo's food is better. But we had great food.
    Hubby had the famous clam Chowder and declared it great. I had the Halibut Sandwich and felt it was very tasty. Our experience there was the whipped cream on top of the shake that made our stay in Newport the best.

Pelican Pub & Brewery: one of the best brewpubs on the coast

by richiecdisc Written Oct 29, 2009

The Pelican Brewpub was high on the list of newer brewpubs to visit in Oregon. Winner of numerous Great American Beer Festival medals including Best Large Brewpub in American in 2006, it was a definite stop despite it being a bit pricey. Located right on the beach, it was readily apparent from the line to get a table, it was a very popular place. We spotted some seats at the bar and I was glad to sit there. It was a very big bustling place with a sizeable deck right on the beach. Many people were waiting for outside seating as it was a gorgeous day. The bar was very long but two very able bartenders managed it well.

Favorite Dish: I ordered their Famous Fish & Chips ($15.99) where Mahi-Mahi is marinated in Kiwanda Cream Ale, Panko breaded & fried. It was erved with beer battered fries, homemade tartar sauce & coleslaw. The suggested pairing was Doryman's Dark Ale, a past gold medal winner. This dark brown ale was in an English style but featured American hops for a roast bitter flavor that dried some in the bittersweet finish. It certainly did go well with the fish and would have been amazing if cask conditioned. Doreen had their Asiago Crusted Vegetarian sandwich ($11.99) which was roasted red pepper, eggplant, provolone cheese & pesto mayonaise on cheesy grilled sourdough. This went very well with their Tsunami Stout which was black with a creamy tan head and rich coffee palate with hints of chocolate. The bittersweet dry finish was perfect. Since we were at the bar, I asked for small tastes of Kiwanda Cream Ale which was a typical light Canadian type ale and nothing special. The MacPelican Scotch was a malty brew of little interest. I finished up with their cask India Pelican Ale which was the 2003 Champion of the coveted Chicago Real Ale Festival. This deep golden brew with a thin lasting head and a fantastic floral hop nose. The equally hoppy plalate was well balanced with lots of great malt which made for a soft but full bodied beer. This one was really lovely.

This place opens at 8 AM for breakfast and my guess is it's quite popular.

The meal was quite good and it was a very nice place with great service. It came to $50 for lunch with beers. It was not as pricey as I had anticipated and the quality more than made up for it not being cheap. It's a shame all their beers were not cask conditioned as they truly seem to be made for it stylistically.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Mo's: a bit touristy but pretty damn good

by richiecdisc Written Oct 29, 2009

Mo's is one of those hokey touristy trap institution kinda restaurants. It's like all the best and worst all rolled up into one. I actually knew very little about it when we were walking around Newport for the first time but we were kind of in the mood for clam chowder (being near the sea for a few weeks will do that!) and this little place had it. I have since read on the Internet that it has seen better days and that prices are up and quality down though it seems even local cynics say the chowder is still great. I guess you can call us lucky as that is what we ordered anyway. This place has been around for 60 years so they must be doing something right. It now has outposts in Canon Beach, Lincoln City, Florence, and Otter Creek in addition to the two Newport locations.

The original is on Bay Blvd in Newport and it must get pretty crowded as they built an annex just up the street. It was that one we stumbled across. It was a simple little place right on the bay (well, more like on the docks) so it had a real nautical feel to it. The service was friendly and quick. It was certainly nothing fancy but a great little place for lunch while in town.

Favorite Dish: We both had a bowl of clam chowder served in a hallowed out sourdough bread ($7.95). It is considerably cheaper to get a plan bowl ($4.25) but we both love sourdough and were hungry. We split a Siletz Oatmeal Stout ($4.25) which was equally yummy and went very well with the tasty chowder. I was half hoping it would not be so great as now I had another local brewery to go to! Lol

Bridgeport Brewing & Bakery: the cask king

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 29, 2009

I have so many fond memories about Bridgeport Brewing. I fell in love with the place in 1994 when it was one of the few places in an otherwise industrial area of Portland that has since become a hotbed of condominium growth. Four years later when returning from a long Alaska trip that was in no way to bring me to Portland, I wound up in town when a friend found himself there on business. With no map and no planning, my old Honda Civic found that pub like it was divine intervention. Who needs a GPS when you have a nose for beer?

So, when coming to town on an extended trip around the western US in 2008, Bridgeport was firmly in my sights. The area had changed but so had a lot of Portland and I guess if I owned one of the condos next to Bridgeport I would say for the better. The brewery had expanded considerably with a large loft style second story with high ceiling and a decided upscale but hip atmosphere. Many reviews on the Internet prior to my latest visit lamented over the loss of a craft brewing icon but we found the place amazing. The atmosphere was electric but not overly busy. We weren't looking for a meat market or to hook up so we enjoyed that it wasn't crazy or loud. There were plenty of people there but it was spacious so it never felt crowded. We managed to get seats on a cool little sofa in the corner that had us thinking we should be enjoying a local Stumptown coffee and not a locally made beer.

We went for their highly touted Happy Hour from 4-6 which even cynics deemed the best in town. Imperial Pints (20 ounces) of their renowned cask-conditioned ales were a mere $2.75. For people like us from the east coast, we nearly choked on the price. It was like a third of a NYC beer specialty bar. So, you might figure they would hammer you on the food but nope. They have plenty of specials for food during this two very happy hours.We got a pizza both times we went and for $10, it was ample for both of us. This was a full size pie, not an individual serving. It was brick oven, crispy, chewy good.

Favorite Dish: Favorite Dish: They also had a great olive plate for a few bucks that came with some house backed bread. The olives were very good quality too, not some cheapie pimento stuffed green can jobs. Okay, we were here for the beer and we made sure to have plenty of that. Bridgeport is noted for their cask-conditioned beers. They generally have all their beers on regular tap and about four of them in cask form as well. It is a much softer, less carbonated style of serving and you should give it an open minded try. It is typical of England and I have loved the stuff since doing a semester abroad there in the 70s. So, be sure to ask for cask if that is what you want.

When we arrived, we sat at the downstairs bar and the bartender got us a few beers before saying he was shutting down and it was much cooler upstairs. He didn't even charge us for the two beers he'd given us. The Rope Walk Amber-5.6%-was a session beer extroidinaire with a bready malt palate that dried ever so slightly in the bitterish finish. Doreen had the Black Strap Stout-6%-served via nitro-which was black with creamy tan head and a big chocolate coffee bitter palate. It finished semi-dry and bittersweet. Upstairs at our little couch and with a pizza on the way, I opted for the Blue Heron-4.9%-another session beer with a soft hoppy palate and light floral hop nose. It's clean dry finish was moreish. I followed that up wit their IPA-5.5%-a lightly filtered honey hued brew with a strong citrus hop nose. It's citruy grapefruit palate dried out in the be bitter finish. While the brewery is not noted for its wild experimentation, it does craft amazing drinkable session beers in the English style but with a decided northwest twist. If you are looking for big beers, this is not your place. If you want to go somewhere and have a great conversation while drinking a lot of beer and not getting stupid drunk, this is craic central.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Deschutes Brewery & Public House: Deschutes comes to Portland!

by richiecdisc Updated Oct 29, 2009

Deschutes is another of Oregon's craft brewing legends that has gone regional. It has its roots in Bend, Oregon and I went all the way out to the Oregon desert just to visit this pub in 1994. It was well worth it. I was happy to see that they had since opened a branch in Portland, actually just before we arrived. This saved us a lot of time and gas (and money!).

The new pub is right in the Pearl District of town so quite convenient and as you can imagine the pub is trendy. That said, it maintains a certain rustic charm despite its upscale furnishings. The restaurant has an open feel to it with large windows and high ceilings. The beams up above are part of what gives it a mountain lodge kind of feel. There are also buzz saw carved sculptures for good measure. The bar is long and smartly decorated. A window into the brew kettles is set in an ornate picture frame, another homey effect.

The bartender was quick, attentive and friendly. We had already eaten a good size lunch as we had scoped our their menu on the Internet to find it a bit pricey. So, we got right to work on the beers.

Favorite Dish: I got a free sample of the Crazy Buffalo-5.8%-made of spelt (a medieval wheat-like grain), it was a smooth amber brew with a slight medicinal minty finish. I opted for a full pint of cask-conditioned Bachelor Bitter which was amber with a thin lasting head and flora hop nose. The great balanced session ale uses Kent hops and has a true soft English palate and flavor profile. Dry hoppy finish but plenty of malt to keep you coming back for more. Doreen was not happy they were out of their cask Black Butte Porter so opted for a nitro Obsidian Stout which was black with a dense tan head and espresso flavor. It finished semi-dry and bittersweet. It was tough for me to not have another cask beer but the D Street Dubbel-7.1%-sounded interesting. It was deep amber with a dense thin head and a nose of dried fruit and yeast. This primarily malty brew had some raisin notes but seemed a bit simple for the style. It was better as it warmed up and with some food. Despite having had eaten lunch, we were tempted by their House Baked Pretzel ($6) which came out with a melted white cheddar dipping sauce which was still piping hot and house made Black Butte Mustard. It was very tasty and suddenly the Dubbel seemed not so bad. We finished up by sharing their Mirror Mirror Barley-wine11.5%-Deep amber w/ thick head that thinned but lingered. The nose was of caramel and dried fruit. The big malty palate again had notes of fig but was well balanced by a good addition of hops. This was far too easy to drink for the strength. We came back the next afternoon and Doreen was happy to find her Black Butte Porter back in cask form. This black beauty had a creamy tan head and rich coffee palate that dried out beautifully in the clean bitter finish. Of course, we had another pretzel and Mirror Mirror. It was hard to resist. We spent about $25 each days for a few beers and the pretzel/cheese combo.

• Photography

• iclee's Profile Photo

Marie Callender's Restaurant & Bakery: Reliable comfort food

by iclee Written Jan 7, 2009

After driving for nearly 3 hours from an early morning Seattle Tacoma flight, Marie Callender was a welcome sight.

The aroma of freshly baked pies quickly beckon you to a nearby seating booth. I surveyed the salad bar but due to its lack of fresh greens, I decided against ordering it. We had the Crispy Chicken Tenders and the Country Fried Steak with a slice of Razzleberry pie. Service was fast and very accommodating. My mind was racing how I can duplicate the pie home-style since raspberries are not easily available fresh in Asia. :)

Servings were large enough to share if you have small children with you.

Favorite Dish: Razzleberry pie and Mandarin Orange muffin

• wkmoku's Profile Photo

Baked Alaska: Don't miss the fresh salmon salad

by wkmoku Written Oct 30, 2008

Baked Alaska is a wonderful place for lunch. It sits at the end of the pier at 12th Street, on the Columbia River. Watch the many vessels that traverse the narrow channel after navigating the mouth of the Columbia. You will see vessels carrying everything from raw materials, containers and cars. Smaller work vessels are busy as they transport river pilots from one boat to another. At Baked Alaska you will have time to take in the beautiful sights of the river, watch the boats, recollect and plan on what you're going to do next in Astoria. The staff was friendly and attentive.

Favorite Dish: We had the garden salad with fresh salmon. It was OH, so good! It may have been because we were there September 15, 2008 - salmon season. The clam chowder was just as good. Be careful, you might stay longer and have more to eat.

• orcoastgirl's Profile Photo

Goose Hollow at the Cove: Great food here!

by orcoastgirl Written Jul 30, 2008

Hi, I am on the Oregon Coast now in nearby Seaside. We love Cannon Beach! There are nice photo ops at Ecola State Park, take the drive back to Indian Beach. Haystack Rock is one of the most photographed icons on the Oregon Coast. Check out the lodging at Schooner's Cove, the Waves Motel or Land's Inn, all of these places are oceanfront and just a short walk to the downtown area in Cannon Beach.

If nothing works out there, there is a cool motel right on the ocean in Seaside called the Lanai which was recently been remodeled on the exterior, they have balconies and kitchenettes and go for $110/night starting October 1st-May 1st. Very pretty photo ops here, Ave U is one of my favorite areas of Seaside. We spend a lot of time on the beach there surfing, boogey-boarding and relaxing. There is also the Tides by the Sea to check out in this area.

Let me know if I can be of further help with your northern coast planning! :)

Favorite Dish: Shrimp Melts, Strawberry and Red Onion Salad, Reuben Sandwich, clam chowder

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Gracie's Sea Hag - Depoe Bay

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 7, 2007

Gracie's Sea Hag Food and Grog is a highly rated touristy restaurant in Depoe Bay, right along the Oregon Coast and Highway 101. Though we just stumbled upon this restaurant, it seems to get many great reviews. We stopped in for breakfast around 9:30am and enjoyed a table next to the front windows, that unfortunately had no view of the water due to the size of Hwy 101 and the parking areas on both sides of the road.

I had a very tasty omelet that starts at $5 then goes up as you add toppings...veggies are about $0.25 each, meats $0.50 each, and seafood like shrimp, oysters, and crabs are $1.25 to $3.00 extra. My ham, cheese, tomato, and mushroom omelet was very good, and not too expensive at under $7. My only complaint was the service here was pretty slow, despite that it was a weekday when we visited, and not too busy.

It might be worth making a return trip here to try Gracie's seafood dinners, which I'm sure are excellent.

Oregon Hotels

2 Hotels
Depoe Bay Hotels
16 Reviews - 24 Photos

Instant Answers: Oregon

Comments

Oregon Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Oregon restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Oregon sightseeing.
Map of Oregon