Seaside Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Seaside

• Riverside Bar-B-Que: When pigs fly

by mblaseckie Updated Aug 18, 2005

Mmm....ribs

The only thing to make this more perfect would be a big ol' airstream trailer parked out back with a couple of hound dogs scratching themselves under the steps.
    The cafe itself is a small. passionate pink clapboard building slightly smaller than most people's living room. Out front are two big black Texas smokers, a pile of wood and the most wonderful scented smoke pouring out.
    The menu is pretty basic and not vegan friendly. There is the pork sandwich, beef brisket sandwich, prime rib french dip and, of course, ribs. Chicken, salmon, oysters and clams are also available but the stars of the place really are the pork and beef.
    This little piddly squat place sits right on the banks of the local river and there are outside tables available. It would be nice to sit out there if it weren't for the fact that the highway is just a few yards away. Inside the restaurant, the tables are all against the window so the view is perfect and the noise limited to the country & Western station. This place is the real deal. Unpretentious and delivers on its promise of good food.
    The girls each had the prime rib French dip and they were so happy they forgot whatever it was they'd been pouting about for the past three days. The only downside was the meat, being off a prime rib, tended to have a bit too much fat for our tastes but some folk may find that even more appealing. My wife had the pork sandwich, a challenge to keep together long enough to eat.
    I tucked into a side of ribs...awesome. They were meaty and smokey and definitely ribs to be respected. I ended up eating them with a knife and fork. Washed it down with a Red Hook IPA - perfect lunch.
    Keep in mind they also do take out...this would make the basis of a pretty terrific beach picnic.

Favorite Dish: Ribs - it's the basis any bar-b-que and this place is no exception. Although if I go back, I just might be tempted to try the smoked prime rib.

• lil bayou: beaucoup good food

by mblaseckie Updated Aug 18, 2005

Looks like a lot of the small po'boy cafes all around the bayous and back waters of Louisiana. Clean, friendly and with great food. As expected there are the standard jumbalyas, etouffees and, of course, red beans and rice - with andouille sausage. All are the real deal and generously portioned.
    We started with a 1/2 order of Alligator for an appetizer and weren't dissapointed. Even managed to persuade our 14 year old daughter to taste it. It required some persuadng and when she did try a piece, declared "it tastes funny." "Funny like it had eaten a clown, dear?" We are rapidly approaching the stage where our children actually feel justified in being embarrased when out in public with us.
    The food is good and includes less frequently seen dishes like Chicken Tchoupitoulas - flattened chicken breast pan fried with small spicy potatoes, onions, mushrooms and tasso ham. Served on the vegetables and covered, in this case, with a creole bernaise...very nice.
    My significant other had the red beans and rice, as did our daughter. Both did justice to the large portions presented to them but our Canadian appetities aren't up to the measure of American supersizing, I'm afraid. Still, that chicken will make a terrific breakfast...if I can keep it away from my family.

Favorite Dish: The alligator was great. Fried and then finished in a creaole tomato sauce - not too spicy but full of flavour. The alligator isn't stringy or tough, which I've had before. If you've never tasted the big reptile before, this is the place to wrestle with a plate full. I would recommend it as an appetizer to share, however, as it is a very dense, rich meat.

• Brehone's Profile Photo

Norma's Seaside Diner: The best chowder in Seaside!

by Brehone Written Apr 12, 2005

Norma's

Casual Dining for lunch and dinner. Lots of good seafood, but I highly recommend the chowder and homemade bread!

Favorite Dish: Chowder

• Beaches

Instant Answers: Seaside

Comments

Seaside Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Seaside restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Seaside sightseeing.