Warm Springs Travel Guide

• Favorites
  • Kah-Nee-Ta High Desert Resort & Casino

Warm Springs Things to Do

by Rude_boy22 Written Oct 4, 2002

The resort offers some beginners kayaking stuff, but at twenty dollars (US) for a couple of hours it is way too much. Look into the nearby town of Maupin's phonebook and there are some great places that rent rafts very cheaply for a full day. The scenery is incredible, and the rapids are great for beginners.

Warm Springs Hotels

Warm Springs Restaurants

by Rude_boy22 Updated Oct 4, 2002

There are two restaurants in the resort. Both were not great. This is unfortunate because there is no room service, nor any nearby places to get food. My suggestion is to pack an ice chest.

Favorite Dish: I was late for the company event, which was catered. I heard it was good. The salmon bakes are good, just stay away from the salmon cakes.

Warm Springs Nightlife

by Rude_boy22 Written Oct 4, 2002

Having never gone to a casino before (I don't think much of gambling) this was a new experience for me. My co workers wanted to go, I was bored, so I decided why not. We sat at the blackjack table, my coworker explained how to play, and we went to it. A couple of hands ito it, the dealer hands me a green, plastic card. I look at my coworker to see what this meant. He told me to 'stick it somewhere'. Looking around, I decided the best place would be my front pocket. Everyone found this very humerous. They then explained that I was supposed to put it somewhere within the deck of cards to show where the dealer was supposed to split the deck before shuffling the cards. I lost five dollars after about fifty hands at five dollars each. An indian woman near me lost about six thousand. Overall, I would describe the experience as pretty boring.

Dress Code: 'I love My Grandkids' t-shirt and slacks pulled up to your chest.

Warm Springs Off The Beaten Path

by Rude_boy22 Written Oct 4, 2002

Ask the concierge for a map of the local hiking and biking trails. The views are great. Not alot of animals...(again, reservations are not restricted by US laws, there are no hunting regulations for their residents). There is plenty of incredible geological formations and floura in the desert.

Warm Springs Favorites

by Rude_boy22 Updated Oct 4, 2002

Fondest memory: A bit of background:
    The company I work for sent us to the Kah Nee Tah resort over the weekend for some rest and relaxation. This resort is on an Indian reservation, therefore the resort is centered around a casino. I've got lots of mixed feelings on the issue. As most of us know, we European settlers more or less either stole or cheated the land here from the original inhabitants. When we arrived, thinking we were in india, we called the natives 'indians'. After our arrival, without land, thinned by the European introduction of smallpox, and introduced to alcohol, we slowly realized we needed to give retributions. We did so in a very small way by giving them parcels of land in the wilderness. Most of them are on land that wasn't really fit to build on. I would have to agree with Chris Rock's proclamation that it's the indian race that is by far the worst off. (When was the last time you saw an indian rolling around in a benz?) Now many reservations are in the very worst conditions of poverty, and alcohol is a huge problem. With this in mind, we can realize that these reservations belong to the indians, not the States. This means that they can have their own laws, or lack thereof. Casinos, then are a great option. On the one hand, gambling and alcoholism are big problems among indians. On the other, getting Europeans drunk and taking their money.....why that's the best form of retribution I could ever think of. The conditions of the indians I saw driving through the reservation made me think the money was not being spent wisely. I only hope the tribes who build casinos use it wisely. Swindle us out of every dollar you can, but please, don't just buy a nice car or alcohol, buy the land back. Build an economic empire and take the land back and rip down the buildings upon it. Use it wisely.

Instant Answers: Warm Springs

Comments

Warm Springs Travel Guide
Map of Warm Springs