English Center Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in English Center

Picnic Table

by Pounder73 Updated Jul 26, 2003

Picnic Table Hole

Favorite thing: It’s not too big, but it holds a lot. Sometimes I will count 30+ trout in this pool.

Fondest memory: This is where my brother stood one August afternoon when a black bear decided to be curious in my brothers actions. The Bear, Booboo (let’s call him), stood on the ledge to the left where this picture was taken. We’ve always been told that bears are more scared of humans and will run away any chance they get. Booboo, however, was never instructed on the better parts of human interaction, or there lack of.

What was my brother to do? Probably the worst thing you could ever do, he dropped his fishing pole and ran scream’n. I guess since this bear did things the opposite of what he was not supposed to do, he choose not to give chase.

I think the bear just wanted to mock the boy for having to use a tool to catch fish.

The "Golf Course"

Golf Course

Favorite thing: No, there is not a course here. This is what they call this clearing. At one time there many have been a golf-hole set up, but no longer. This is a place where the deer come to party at night. If you want to see that, you need a spotlight.

The Cribbing

Favorite thing: This is an old picture. Most of the cribbing is no longer there. A few years ago, there was a hurricane that swept through here causing floods and land slides. By looking at the picture, you can guess what happened. One of those places, you never think of time changing. But it does. The first time I saw what remained of the Cribbing, I sat on a rock and stared for about a half hour in disbelief. Goes to show, the only constant is change.

Fondest memory: This is where my grandfather caught his biggest trout on the property. It was before i was even thought of.

Trail to the Mountain Hole

Trail to Mountain Hole

Favorite thing: This is where we park the car when fish up the crick. The Mountain hole to the Cribbing was my grandfather’s favorite piece of water on the property. The slate rocks to the right is where my father once gained his right of passage by shooting his first rattler as a adolescent.

Fondest memory: There was a time before my grandfather’s death that he could no longer walk the streams safely. He came here with me and stood by the rock my father shot the snake on and took some photos of catching fish and me casting. That is the only time I remember him taking pictures of my fishing. It was the last time he joined me here.

Form...

bro fishing

Favorite thing: I stand here with the camera, wanting to say, "Bring up your elbow, you're bringing back your rod tooooo far, not stopping long enough...."

well, if i tell him that... he gets mad. I just like fishing with him.

Nelly's Hole

by Pounder73 Updated Jun 26, 2003

Nelly's Hole

Favorite thing: A former good-sized pool, now mostly filled in by the flood of ’72, way before my time. However, this still will hold a couple fish. It was enough for me to catch my first 2 trout, on a wet fly.

Fondest memory: Around these parts, people talk about events that took place generations ago like they were yesterday. It’s treasure lost when people move out of an area frequently; a piece of history is taken with them. Folks around here don’t move too much or too far. But they become great storytellers.

The Pond

Favorite thing: That is the place where my grandfather first said “come here, take this” and handed me his antique bamboo fly-rod. It was an ugly sight, but a wonderful day.

Pretty place, isn’t it?

Instant Answers: English Center

Comments

English Center Favorites

Reviews and photos of English Center favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for English Center sightseeing.

View all English Center hotels