Erie Favorites

Best Rated Favorites in Erie

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

A BIT ABOUT ERIE

by LoriPori Written Jul 23, 2013

Favorite thing: Located in northwestern Pennsylvania, ERIE is named for the Lake and the native American tribe that resided along its southern shore.
    Millions visit Erie for recreation at Presque Isle State Park and for the Casino and horse racetrack.
    We visited Erie to attend my Nephew's wedding which was held at the beautiful Warner Theater and reception at the Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel.
    It was a 4 1/2 hour drive from our home, passing through Detroit, Michigan, Toledo and Cleveland Ohio. Erie lies directly between Cleveland and Buffalo, New York.
    I really liked Erie and it was very easy to get around. Its bay front and beach areas are very nice. While we were there, a HUGE motorcycle rally was going on - "Roar on the Shore". Literally thousands of motorcycles could be seen throughout the city, esp. in downtown on State Street, which was partially closed off to traffic to accommodate the bikers.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo

DOBBINS LANDING

by LoriPori Updated Jul 22, 2013

Dobbins Landing

Favorite thing: Located at the end of State Street, at the edge of Presque Isle Bay, DOBBINS LANDING consists of a wharf and adjoining facilities including Bicentennial Tower, the Sheraton Erie Bayfront Hotel and the Bayfront Convention Center.
    The Landing is named after Captain Daniel Dobbins, an early 19th century sailing master in the U.S. Navy.

• allenkite's Profile Photo

If you aren't visiting someone...

by allenkite Written Sep 2, 2002

Favorite thing: If you aren't visiting someone that lives here, hire a driver that knows the area . . . View the beautiful scenery of beaches, marinas, parks, susnets . . . I had no idea Erie even had beaches . . . Sunset Point on Presque Isle is considered the best spot in Pennsylvannia kite flying

Fondest memory: Seeing Erie through my friends eyes . . . My absolute suprise at all that Erie has to offer . . . Remembering Helen and her life

• The water taxi from dobbins...

by danmc Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The water taxi from dobbins landing to Presque Isle is a beautiful cheap way to pretend you have your own crewed powerboat!

Fondest memory: I love riding my bike out on Presque Isle and beyond. There are long, flat roads, something I appreciate coming from Hilly Lancaster, PA!

• mcharlton's Profile Photo

Some of the nicest people you...

by mcharlton Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Some of the nicest people you will ever want to meet live in Erie, especially my family.
    The picture is just some of my many neices and nephews at my Moms' 80th birthday party.

Fondest memory: Swimming in Lake Erie and thinking one day I could make it to Canada.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

My brother wasn't home when I...

by BuickMackane Updated Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: My brother wasn't home when I went to visit him. In fact, I bumped into him in the parking lot of a nearby convenience store called Country Fair.

He told me that the building which previously existed on the site of the convenience store had been the old Plymouth Tavern, a favorite neighborhood hangout about 60 years ago. However, mtwohig, an Erie resident who has some wonderful pages here on VT, was kind enough to research this and found out that the Plymouth Tavern is still very much in existence. I will continue to do some sleuthing and find out exactly what used to be on the site of the Country Fair convenience store -- this story is getting interesting!

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Check out Dobbins Landing and...

by windoweb Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Check out Dobbins Landing and the Bicentennial Tower at the foot of State Street.

Fondest memory: When Mike & I were feeding the seagulls here the fish balls from the Chinese Restaurant. (Sorry do not have a photo available) :)

• CandyBear's Profile Photo

When vistiting Erie go to the...

by CandyBear Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: When vistiting Erie go to the mall it's an ok mall and they have some realy neat things in the mall.

Fondest memory: When I went to Erie I went with my uncle his girlfriend and his girlfriend's friend. The trip was alright for the most part but the one girl that went with us kinda bored me all she could talk about is good looking guys and play weird music on the radio and she kinda complaned a lot.
    The best part of the trip was when we were coming back my uncle was upset because the trip didn't go so well so he drove back at 70-80MHP and blasted country music the whole way home and was sure to stop at every fastfood restraunt along the way.

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

This Time of Year...

by mtwohig Updated Mar 7, 2003

Snow on Front Steps

Fondest memory: We see Spring after March.
    A few days ago, we had a record low of 1F/-17C.
    View of Presque Isle State Park and Lake Erie from the upper elevations of the City.

(See my Presque Isle Pic)

Instant Answers: Erie

Comments

Erie Favorites

Reviews and photos of Erie favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Erie sightseeing.