Erie Off The Beaten Path

• James_Lawrence's Profile Photo

Watch the ships come in at the South Pier

by James_Lawrence Updated May 23, 2005

Port of Erie terminal from the South Pier

While Great Lakes freighters (some 1,000 feet long) still visit the Port of Erie terminal,
    the traffic is nowhere near pre-1970's levels.

But if you visit the 'South Pier' area, you just might see one of these mighty vessels float by. In the warmer months there is a steady procession of recreational boats, charter fishing boats, and the occaisional tall ship.

The 'South Pier' is located on the city side of the channel to Erie's harbor, Presque Isle Bay. There are plenty of places to park. Follow the Port Access Road from the Bayfront Parkway.

The South Pier also hosts a number of local anglers who line the pier on evenings and weekends.

You can see two of Erie's three lighthouses from the South Pier. The North Pier light and the Land Lighthouse.

• mcharlton's Profile Photo

When I was a Senior in High...

by mcharlton Written Aug 26, 2002

When I was a Senior in High School my economics teacher took a small group with her in her car to see Senator John F. Kennedy speak when he came to Erie.

Before he spoke Jack Kennedy went several steps from the speakers area to shake hands. The crowd was massive and filled the streets of the downtown area. Traffic was blocked off for blocks in all areas. I kept edging my way to the front of the crowd, kept eyeing Kennedy as I edged my way through. I reached my arm out further and further until, I could not believe, John Kennedy held my hand, smiled in my face and said 'very glad to meet you'. At that instant I felt faint and thought I was going to pass out. Everything became a blurr and I was dumb struck. I don't think I said a thing but just looked up into his beautiful eyes with my mouth wide open. Afterward all I could say was 'I touched him, I touched him'.
    As I listened to his speach, 'Ask not what this country can do for you but ask what can I do for my country', everything was in slow motion and I will never forget this for the rest of my life.

Thank you Katheryn Barber, my teacher, for taking me to this lifetime event.

• Erie has lots of history, but...

by danmc Written Aug 26, 2002

Erie has lots of history, but was especially important during the French & Indian war. The site of Fort d la presque Isle is marked with a commerative display at the northern end of parade street. You can stand there and look out over the harbor and imagine you are Pierre Pouchout in 1757.

• windoweb's Profile Photo

The Erie Art Museum is a...

by windoweb Updated Aug 25, 2002

The Erie Art Museum is a non-profit, community organization located in the Old Customs House, a beautiful and historic 1839 Greek Revival building. The Museum's ambitious, year-round programming schedule includes art exhibitions, classes, workshops, concerts, group tours, children's programs, lectures, artists' services, traveling exhibits, publications and more.
    411 State St, Erie PA - USA

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

Asbury Woods and Trails, 4105...

by mtwohig Written Aug 26, 2002

Asbury Woods and Trails, 4105 Asbury Road, Less than a mile south of West 38th Street.
    If you are traveling west on West 38th Street, turn south when you come to the four-way stop at Asbury Road.
    There's no charge to use the trails.
    The nature center is open seven days a week during the summer. From Monday to Saturday, the center is open 10a.m. to 5p.m.
    On Sunday, the center is open noon to 5p.m.
    Trail Rules: The trails are open during daylight hours. Stay on the trail and carry out any trash.
    Mountain bikes and pets are allowed on Greenway trails, on the west side of Asbury Road, and at Brown's Farm, off Sterrettania Road.
    No bikes or pets are allowed on the trails around the Nature Center, on the east side of Asbury Road.
    Camping, fires, alcohol, smoking, hunting, paintball and motorized vehicles are prohibited.
    For more information, call 814-835-5356, or visit www.asburywoods.org

• atufft's Profile Photo

Sand and Gravel Company Shoreline, Part 1

by atufft Written Apr 17, 2012
    Sand and Gravel Mine at Presque Bay, PA

The sand and gravel company appears to have inherited a shoreline already contaminated by lots of rebar and concrete that was used to stabilize the shoreline in places. This business is makes sense in the region, because the Presque Isle itself is a large sandbar. So opposite the state park is a business that mines this resource. Much of this is loaded onto ships for export. From this shoreline, one can look back across the water to Erie's downtown. One can also look across to the state park.

• National/State Park
    • Eco-Tourism

• atufft's Profile Photo

Sand and Gravel Company Shoreline, Part 2

by atufft Written Apr 17, 2012
    Shoreline debris on Presque Isle Bay

The shoreline is as thick with debris that washes up from storms as it is with birdlife. So, it's very hard to walk safely along the beach. I talked to a fisherman busy baiting his hook with a worm about this debris problem, and he felt that this was mainly that way because garbage from the lake tended to collect there during storms. This did appear to be the case, however, there was garbage both old and new accumulated on that shoreline. Old tires from antique tractor equipment, rebar, brick, and thousands of modern plastic bottles. The plastic bottles would be an easy and abundant source of revenue for interested homeless recyclers if the Sand and Gravel company permitted them to come. Collectors of eroded fragments of glass, brick, and brownstone would have fun along this shoreline. The Sand and Gravel company could recover and break up the concrete blocks and recycle the rebar at profit.

• Eco-Tourism
    • National/State Park
    • Birdwatching

• beaniezotzim's Profile Photo

NEW YORK CITY 5 1/2 HOUR DRIVE

by beaniezotzim Written Oct 14, 2005
    statue of liberty

When I am on the Eastern side of the country, I try to get a visit in to both my Family and my good friend who lives in New York City. Its quite a drive, but the scenery is pretty along the way. Its about a 5 1/2 - 6 hour drive from Erie to NYC or visa versa.

• BuickMackane's Profile Photo

My brother attends St. Peter's...

by BuickMackane Written Aug 26, 2002

My brother attends St. Peter's Cathedral on a regular basis. I went inside the church looking for him, and I thought it was a very nice place indeed.

Instant Answers: Erie

Comments

Erie Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Erie off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Erie sightseeing.