Erie Restaurants

Shakespier's (now Jr's on the Bay)
    by James_Lawrence
  • Restaurants
    by mcharlton
  • Restaurants
    by windoweb

Best Rated Restaurants in Erie

• Andy & Gerry's Deli: Looking for a "light" lunch?

by vertov Written Oct 21, 2003

An unassuming storefront in a 1960's era plaza near the lake, but what wonders inside! Bring your appetite, the sandwiches are easily satistifying for two. When homemade pickles are in stock, they come complimentary to snack on before your meal. They are to-die-for.

Just because it's a deli, doesn't mean you should ignore the baked goods, which are also very good.

Favorite Dish: The Ox-Roast is excellent, although choosing a favorite is very difficult. More adventurous types can go for the "Tongue-Fu" which is beef tongue, or the "Dogzilla" which is a 1/4 hot dog served with everything imaginable, including relish, mustard, kraut, ketchup, onions, and more! I nearly sprained my jaw attempting to fit it in my mouth.

• Beaches

• James_Lawrence's Profile Photo

Skip the Chain Restaurants - You're ON VACATION!

by James_Lawrence Updated May 20, 2005

Shakespier's (now Jr's on the Bay)

If you are visiting from out of town why go to a chain? They have the same exact food and decor as the one in your hometown.

Erie has dozens of great local restaurants don't be afraid to ask the locals. If they suggest something in Summit township - stop talking to them immediately. If their first words are Applebee's, Outback, Friday's or Olive Garden - you have my permission to slap them. If you prefer not to slap someone, let them know that you're from out of town and that you can eat that crap in your hometown.

Where are the restaurants? State Street between the waterfront and 14th Street has a number of options. Paper Moon & Porter's are tops. Matthew's Trattoria at 14th and French is right there with them. Not cheap, but great dining isn't.

Marketplace Grill, Bertrand's, Cafe 38, Pufferbelly (on nearby French Street), Smuggler's on the water, have very different menus, but all very good.

If Pubs and pub grub are your style there's Plymouth Tavern - my favorite - , Calamari's, Fat Boys, and Molly Branigan's.

Did somebody say McDonald's?? SMACK!

Favorite Dish: In Erie, try some Lake Erie Perch or Walleye.

Local beers from the Erie Brewing Company are Railbender Ale (malty and potent), Mad Anthony Ale (balanced and smooth), and Presque Isle Pilsener (100 times better than Bud/Coors/Miller).

Most bars should have one or all of these brews.
    You can drink a corporate beer ANYWHERE.
    Think globally, drink locally my friends.

• allenkite's Profile Photo

Maximilian's (at the Bel-Aire...

by allenkite Written Sep 2, 2002

Maximilian's (at the Bel-Aire Hotel)
    Very classy with a warm feel . . . Menu is five star . . . Escargot . . . Seafood . . . Steaks . . . Lamb . . . Veal . . . Prices are extremely reasonable . . . Great wine selection

Favorite Dish: Bruschetta . . . Coconut Shrimp . . . Chilean Sea Bass

• mcharlton's Profile Photo

There is a favorite family pub...

by mcharlton Written Aug 26, 2002

There is a favorite family pub that my family gathers at when the 'out of towners' show up. The pub is called 'Edwardos'.
    Very friendly atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Hot Buffalo Wings or at least that is the favorite of most of the patrons.

• Easily the Stonehouse Inn near...

by danmc Written Aug 26, 2002

Easily the Stonehouse Inn near the Airport. GREAT food, charming ambience, and gracious staff. Otherwise, I hit TGIFridays, Marketplace Grill, or Pufferbellies (downtown).

Favorite Dish: The Pufferbellies Chicken Ceasar Salad is the best I've had. Better than any in Manhattan!
    Martplace Grill has GREAT French Onion Soup.

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Waldameer Park & Water...

by windoweb Written Aug 25, 2002

Waldameer Park & Water World
    This is not exactly a restaurant. It is a fun place to go if you want to entertain family or friends. There is typical park food here: hot dogs, candy apples and cotton candy. Etc
    Waldameer Park & Water World

Favorite Dish: cotton candy

• CandyBear's Profile Photo

Well I only ate at fastfood...

by CandyBear Written Aug 25, 2002

Well I only ate at fastfood restauraunts along the way so realy I am not sure of the best restauraunt most fastfood places taste the same but if I must pick one I would say BurgerKing

Favorite Dish: BurgerKing-Chickem Tenders, French Fries, OinonRings, and a Coke-A-Colla

• Molly Brannigans: Had a great lunch at Molly Brannigans

by slimtimm Written Mar 8, 2006

We visited Molly Brannigans based on the advice of a local Erie resident we came across. As the name suggests, Molly Brannigans is an Irish Pub, with an attractive exterior and a very warm, inviting interior. There was a warm fire burning in the fireplace that separates the bar from the main dining room.

The menu is fairly extensive, with normal bar and pub food, plus traditional Irish fare. I had fish and chips, which were very good. My wife had perhaps the best Reuben sandwich I've ever tasted, with very high-quality corn beef. One of our sons had Buffalo wings, which were absolutely top-notch, some of the best wings I've had anywhere. My other son had a chicken sandwich, which I didn't try, but he said was delicious.

The service was good, although our waitress was a bit ditzy.

We didn't want to eat at one of the chain restaurants near our hotel, such as Applebees, Damons, etc., so we ventured off looking for something more unique. We found it, and enjoyed our late lunch at Molly Brannigans very much. It turns out that Molly Brannigans actually IS a chain restaurant, though the chain has very few links, with locations in Erie, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Mesa (AZ) and Las Vegas (NV).

We would definitely eat at Molly Brannigans again, and plan to do so when we visit Erie or Harrisburg again.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the Guinness on tap. Not cheap at $5 a pint, but delicious. They also have Blue Moon on tap, as well as lots of other beers.

Favorite Dish: My wife's Reuben sandwich was incredible, as were my son's Buffalo wings.

• Travmad's Profile Photo

Brewerie at Union Station: Nectar of the gods.

by Travmad Written Nov 5, 2011

After doing some research on this place the reviews were less than flattering on service and food. I'm telling you they may be ultra picky or were of their face before the first beer. My service was excellent, food was delicious and the beer OK. The atmosphere is old train station motif.

• Trains
    • Adventure Travel

• Hyatt's Family Restaurant: Friendly Place with Homestyle Cooking

by Lazarusman96 Written Mar 4, 2008

Great family style entrees, such as goulash, baked turkey with the trimmings, chicken, meatloaf, chops, spaghetti, shrimp, etc. All of your old family favorites from when you were growing up.

Favorite Dish: I like the goulash and the tuna noodle casserole, when they are on the daily special menu.

• mtwohig's Profile Photo

Friday, June 28, 2002...On...

by mtwohig Written Aug 26, 2002

Friday, June 28, 2002...
    On this day, Erie joins the rest of the world.
    Coffee giant Starbucks starts brewing.

Instant Answers: Erie

Comments

Erie Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Erie restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Erie sightseeing.