Gettysburg Restaurants

by Wanderer001
  • Restaurants
    by Wanderer001

Most Recent Restaurants in Gettysburg

• The Pub and Restaurant: Enjoy The Vast Menu!

by hauptmann Written Jan 19, 2014

My wife and I happened upon this restaurant and pub while walking the square of Gettysburg in October of 2006. They have outside seating as well as the pub and restaurant area. Upstairs is a banquet area.

I travel to the Gettysburg area at least a couple of times a year and while I am there I wouldn’t consider eating anywhere else. I will always take friends and relatives there to turn them onto a good thing. I mean visiting Gettysburg is all about experiencing something extremely unique and a visit to this eatery just adds to that experience.

The menu is extensive so your taste buds will never get board. The portions are extremely generous. You will never go home hungry! I’ve tried everything from lunches to the main meals and they all have been mouth watering.

The deserts are made in-house and are out of this world. You will probably be too full from your main meal to have room for the desert. However, don’t short change yourself; the deserts are to die for! Order it and take it back to your hotel if you don’t have the room. Like their meal portions, their desert portions are a mile high! You have to see them to believe them.

The prices are good especially for the location, ambience and the portions you receive.

If the restaurant is full, your best bet is to wait in the bar area before being seated in the restaurant. This gives you the opportunity to enjoy the ambiance of the pub. If there is a waiting time it is always reasonable, no more than 15 to 20 minutes and that was during the 150th anniversary weekend.

The service I have received has always been top notch and extremely friendly. And management always stops by to see if you are enjoying your dining experience.

You owe it to yourself to eat at this establishment.

Favorite Dish: I have to say, I have been extremely pleased with every dish I have had out of their extensive menu. One thing that does stand out with me is the Pecan Pie it is a mile high! I'll never forget the first time I saw one being delivered to the table next to me - I thought they were bringing the samples tray out! These are made in-house with a nice thick body and crust. I didn't think they could make a Pecan Pie that thick. The tast is out off this world.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Blue and Gray: Casual with good food!

by apbeaches Written Nov 19, 2013

Sports Bar Pub with kegs on our table and a very reasonable bar menu. Enjoyed the appetizers tremendously, the pulled pork spring rolls and Tune bites were fabulous. The Crab Bisque was fabulous. Owner Keith was friendly. Food was quick, reasonable and good. Burgers & wings looked fabulous.

Favorite Dish: Appetizers

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Dobbin House Tavern: Historic from 1776

by apbeaches Written Nov 19, 2013

Enjoyed the ambiance, we felt like we stepped back in time at this National Historic Site. The waitstaff were dressed in the period, the rooms were charming, we sat behind a canopy. We made reservations well in advance & still had to wait. Explored the underground railroad and artifacts upstairs as well as the Country Curiosity Store.

The rolls were warm and delcious. Lamb chops, Seafood Isabelle and Pecan Pie were very good.

Favorite Dish: Everything was wonderful

• Tandybaby's Profile Photo

The Pub: Delicious food, right in the heart of the town.

by Tandybaby Written Jul 4, 2011

The Pub has two sections (along with the sidewalk, which is great seating if you can get it). The western side of the building is the bar, which is a friendly, fun place, populated by both locals and tourists. It's not a super-young crowd. I suppose that at times it is taken over by the local college students, but when I've been there, the crowd seems to be from their mid-late twenties on up. Other local bars tend to appeal to the college students, which is fine with me.

Favorite Dish: The eastern half of the building is the restaurant. The food is delicious. The bruschetta is fabulous. I know, it's just bruschetta, but the feta and olives seem to add a special punch to it. The chili is awesome, and is a meal in itself.

• Camping
    • Festivals

• Tandybaby's Profile Photo

J's at the Village: Always an excellent choice.

by Tandybaby Updated May 31, 2011

I've eaten here several times, and have yet to have a bad experience. The food is excellent, as is the service. As for ambience, I often try to sit outside on the patio to people-watch, so I can't speak much about that. The one time I ate inside, I had a hearing impaired guest with me. They graciously seated us in a small alcove, which was perfect. It bills itself as a family restaurant, but I'm not interested in bringing my young children with me. It just doesn't have that feel, and I've read reviews that suggest that at times young children aren't welcomed with open arms. Mine are older, and very well-behaved, but the place has the feel of more fine-dining, so I save it for dinner with friends and family. I highly recommend it this restaurant. The location is very convenient to the main hub of Gettysburg, almost directly across from the Jenny Wade House.

Favorite Dish: This is a little difficult, since there are so many tasty things that I have tried. Their specials are almost always an excellent bet. But I love their risotto, which is always excellent. I'm also a sucker for their soup sampler, which consists of three lovely soups. Warning-- for me, this almost constitutes a meal. I always end up taking half my entree home (yes, I'm one of those "doggy bag" people!).

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

THE SPRINGHOUSE TAVERN: Living History~

by Yaqui Written May 31, 2011

In 1776 the house was dedicated and Mr. Dobbin and his Irish wife. Isabella moved in. They produced ten children before her death in 1800.

The Colonial Bar in the Springhouse Tavern was built in 1818 by George Dick for his tavern near Dillsburg. Pa. George is the great. great. great grandfather of the present owner of the Dobbin House, Jacqueline White.

The ambience is wonderful in here and very comfortable. I will say the chairs my sister and I sat on had seen better days. Yet, the food was delicious and the service was wonderful. It is little pricey, but worth it!

Favorite Dish: DOBBIN'S HOT BEEF SANDWICH $8.75
    Tender roast beef piled high on a hearth baked roll. Served up with its own juices for dipping. Choice of Potato Sallade, Cole Sla, or Potato Chips.~~It was good:)

Ernie's Texas Hot Weiner Lunch: Not just a diner

by Wanderer001 Updated Apr 28, 2011

I wish we would have stopped in here sooner. The general feel of the place is diner but reading the menu you would not think so. They do offer normal diner fair but also much more. I can not comment on those tho as we only ate here once on your last day and did the real deal for lunch.

Even if you do not do the real deals this is still one of the cheapest places to eat in town that I tried. Not to say that the food was cheap quality at all. Freshly made and fast. I really wish we ate her sooner.

Ernie's is closed on Sunday and is a cash only establishment.

Favorite Dish: The specials. Very cheap very good. The wife and I paid maybe a little more then $8 for a burger, two sides of fires, two drinks and a hot dog.

Hunt's Cafe Battlefield FRIES: When fries are in the name you try them

by Wanderer001 Updated Apr 18, 2011
    Hunt's Cafe building

At first glance this place looks like another store to buy nick knacks in. However, if you venture inside you will find out that is far from being true.

It might be a small place as you can see from my picture but, the food is very good, and fresh. The owners are also very friendly. This first day we went there we were the only ones there and we sat and had our food while talking to them about this and that.

While it may be called Hunt's Battlefield fries they do serve up more then just fries. They have both a breakfast menu as well as their lunch/dinner menu.

The place is well worth stopping in if you are looking for a nice bite to eat in good company.

Favorite Dish: Chilly cheese fires. Not too spicy, not to bland, just right. That and their glass bottle soda refrigerator. So many items to pick from. I we tired 4 different root beers and took a few others with us on the way home.

Avenue Restaurant: Good food that won't make your wallet cry

by Wanderer001 Updated Apr 5, 2011

As a camper I normally do not eat in town however, last year I decided I was too hungry to wait till I got back to camp. So after looking around at some other eatery's in town I ended up coming here.

The food is what you would expect of a local diner or restaurant. Not to say that this is a bad thing, just in a town that tries for the civil war experience I was afraid I would not be able to find many places with modern day chow that I could walk in to the place wearing jeans.

The restaurant itself is very clean, the people are friendly. The atmosphere is very relaxed and layed back. I saw many regulars from the town come in to eat so that made me feel right at home.

The food here is great and will leave you with money left over for souvenirs. I mean for just under $20 I and the wife had a filling meal.

On my last trip here we stopped in for breakfast. Lets just say it was very busy which is always a good sign. I had your stander eggs bacon and toast, the wife had an omelet, home fires and toast. Have to say it was very good.. Four peaces of crisp bacon, the omelet was nothing like we are used to getting by us. It took up half the plate. The home fires were also very good.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate infused cola, it makes any dish into a favorite dish. It tastes like you might have put chocolate ice cream in soda but this does not fill you up as much.

Plaza Restaurant: Seems to be the place to be

Page Under Construction.

From the size of the out side you would think this was a large place to eat however it fills up fast.

The food was good, they put their own spins on classics that are subtle but tasty. The portion sizes are nice so you get what you pay for.

Lincoln Diner: It's a Diner

by Wanderer001 Updated Apr 5, 2011

Standard diner fair. If you are looking for a fast cheap place to eat with no frills this is where you go. Ok sized menu, two people can eat good sized meal for under $20 if you stay away from desert. Just another place to go that is not a chain restaurant in town that is not doing the period food thing.

• 1smartblonde's Profile Photo

The Plaza: WON'T BREAK THE BUDGET........

by 1smartblonde Updated Apr 4, 2011

More of an up scale diner right on southeast corner of the town square. The restaurant and bar look to have been recently updated. If you enter through the entrance that faces the square, just walk through the bar area to the open dinning room. Tables and booths available and the patron traffic are constant enough that we did not wait long for a table (on a Sat night). Items we ordered included: provolone cheese and cheese & bacon potato skin appetizers, Gyro, club, meatball sub sandwiches, plus kid's meals. The skins were large and stuffed with the extras and the gyro was filled and dripping with sauce (the way I like it). Food came fast enough before the kids got restless and no complaints from anyone about their meals. This is definitely for a family looking for familiar foods and trying not to spend a lot for dinner!

Favorite Dish: Everything we had!

• cplank2009's Profile Photo

Ernies Texas Lunch: Best Value! Good Food.

by cplank2009 Written Nov 28, 2010

This is a good down home hot dog joint! The food is good, the surroundings are old school. It is very cheap and the staff is very welcoming. Great all around place!

Favorite Dish: California Cheeseburger and Cheese Fries. The California Cheeseburger is fresh, not frozen. It is made with fresh toppings.

• J's At The Village: Fantastic food!

by MTFPA200 Written Jan 21, 2010

The menu is always changing and everything on it is outstanding. The dailey specials are always top notch. The service is out of this world and a great wine/drink list. I encourage you to try this restaurant any time you are in Gettysburg!

Favorite Dish: Meat Loaf, it is absolutly amazing. Also the special of the day which is often a fish is always wonderful and creative.

• School Holidays

• AlbuqRay's Profile Photo

Plaza Restaurant and Lounge: Plaza Restaurant Revisited

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010
    Daily Menu for 16 Sep 09

When I returned to Gettysburg in Sep 09, of course I had to try the Plaza Restaurant again. Believe it or not, the waitress actually remembered me (from May 08). They still serve American and Greek cuisine, but I think the chef has changed since some of the menu items seemed more exotic. My second visit was just as good as the first. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. See also a videoclip.

Favorite Dish: This time they had a hand-written daily menu with some very interesting choices (see the first picture). I ordered a cup of the spinach and feta chowder ($?.??) and the spicy three bean chili with shredded smoked gouda cheese, sour cream and chives served with toasted French bread ($7.95). Both were delicious! For dessert I could not resist the Bailey's Irish Creme Brulee ($?.??) but the homemade bread pudding with vanilla sauce sounded delicious too.

Instant Answers: Gettysburg

Comments

Gettysburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gettysburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gettysburg sightseeing.