Gettysburg Restaurants

by Wanderer001

Most Recent Restaurants in Gettysburg

Plaza Restaurant and Lounge: Good Food and Friendly People

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

PA2AKgirl is from the Gettysburg area and her tips are ranked #1. She highly recommended the crab cakes at the Plaza Restaurant. Since I love crab cakes, I decided it would be the first restaurant I would try on my first trip to Gettysburg in May 08. Besides, it was downtown on the Lincoln Square, which was about halfway along the Baltimore Street walking tour that I wanted to take (see the first two travelogues).

There was a nice family in the booth next to my table. It turned out to be one of the owners and her twin girls (8 years old). Of course, I had to take pictures of my food for VT. The "shy" twin asked me why I was taking pictures of my food. We got to talking about Virtualtourist and my twin granddaughters (6 years old). They let me take a picture of them. You may be able to tell which twin asked the question.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the broiled homemade crab cake (market price = $13.95) which comes with two sides. I got the macaroni salad and the apple fritters. The crab cake was delicious and both sides were tasty. They serve both American and Greek food. The service was friendly and good.

Plaza Restaurant on Lincoln Square Plaza Restaurant Entrance Lounge and Restaurant Broiled Crab Cake Owner's Family
    • Hiking and Walking

Gettysburg Family Restaurant: Basic and Cheap

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

The Gettysburg Family Restaurant is on the west side of town. I stopped for a light lunch on my way to Hershey. Their breakfasts are highly recommended but their lunch specials also looked good and were very reasonably priced ($4.00 - $6.45).

Favorite Dish: When I ate there, the soup of the day was cream of crab. There was a lunch special for $4.00 that included an egg salad sandwich on toast and a cup of soup. I was not disappointed. Both were quite good. I had seen several good looking desserts in a case near the entrance and asked for the dessert menu. I had never heard of shoo fly pie ($3.00) before and asked the waitress what it was. It turns out to be an Amish recipe. Although I wanted to try it, when she checked, the pies had not yet been delivered that day. I was "forced" to go with the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing ($3.50). It was pretty good but I still must try the shoo fly pie some time.

Gettysburg Family Restaurant Booth Area Egg Salad Sandwich with Cream of Crab Soup Dessert Case Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Icing

Avenue Restaurant: Home-Style Cooking and Friendly Service

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

It was the last night that I was in Gettysburg in Sep 089. After having dinner at O'Rorke's, which I thought was a little overpriced, I decided to have my dessert elsewhere. The Avenue Restaurant is essentially across the street but a little closer to the intersection of Steinwehr Avenue and Baltimore Street. Not only was it a very friendly place but the prices were generally $2-3 less than at O'Rorkes. The Avenue is also just around the corner from where I stayed (A Sentimental Journey B&B). If I had not had a free breakfast at the B&B, I would have probably had breakfast at the Avenue every morning. Breakfast costs a little more than at Ernie's Texas Lunch, but the Avenue is much more conveniently located.

Favorite Dish: I only stopped for dessert but I must say that the Avenue Signature Apple Dumpling with ice cream ($4.79) was delicious, and it was only one of MANY delicious-sounding desserts on the menu. I must try their crab cakes the next time I am in Gettysburg. All of their daily specials sound good too.

Avenue Restaurant Inside Shows Its Diner Tradition Avenue Signature Apple Dumpling

O'Rorke's Eatery & Spirits: True Irish Restaurant and Pub

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

O'Rorke's Eatery & Spirits is in a convenient location near the intersection of Baltimore Street and Steinwehr Avenue. The main entrance is on Steinwehr Avenue but you may also get to it via Baltimore Street. I had walked by it several times on two different trips and finally decided to try it. The downstairs dining room was a little crowded but I was still able to get a booth by the kitchen door. After trying both O'Rorke's and the Plaza Restaurant, I definitely prefer the latter.

Favorite Dish: Many things looked good on the menu; however, I decided to try their Irish food and got Shepherd's Pie (only served Thursday through Sunday). It comes with a salad. When I was there in Sep 09, it was $12.95 but I noticed that it is only $11.00 on the new menu on the website. It was pretty good but I think I would select something else next time.

Main Entrance on Steinwehr Avenue O'Rorke's Lounge Downstairs Dining Room Shepherd's Pie with Salad Baltimore Street Entrance

Ernie's Texas Lunch: Cheap and Fast

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

Gettysburg is not known for unexpensive travel; however, Ernie's Texas Lunch is definitely good value if you are hungry and don't want to spend much. Ernie's has three all day specials ("real deals") on their menu for $4.19 and three for $5.49. There are also six breakfast (served 6 - 11 AM) specials for $2.99 and $3.99.

Favorite Dish: I chose the #1 which includes a hamburger or a hot dog, small fries and a small drink. Since I am from New Mexico but born in Oklahoma, I had to try their taco dog and gravy fries. Don't ask about the calories! The taco dog was not very spicy but tasted good. The gravy was a little bland but the fries were good.

Ernie's Texas Lunch (downstairs on right) Front Booths and Counter Inside of Ernie's Texas Lunch Ernie's Kitchen Taco Dog and Gravy Fries

Gettysburg: Eateries Along the Historic Walking Tour

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 29, 2009

In May 08 I saw several interesting places to try when I was doing the historic walking tour (see my travelogues here). They included Hunt's Cafe, O'Rorke's Family Eatery and Spirits, Sunset Ice Cream Parlor, Avenue Restaurant, and Farnsworth House Dining. However, since I was only in Gettysburg one night in May 08, I just had time for the Plaza Restaurant for dinner (see previous tip) and the Dobbins House for breakfast. In Sep 09 I returned to Gettysburg for two nights. Besides returning to the Plaza Restaurant, I was able to try O'Rorke's and the Avenue Restaurant. I also added Ernie's Texas Lunch and the Gettysburg Family Restaurant.

Hunt's Cafe Sunset Ice Cream Parlor Avenue Restaurant Farnsworth House Dining O'Rorke's Family Eatery and Spirits
    • Hiking and Walking

• tjkennaiii's Profile Photo

Cashtown Inn: Don't Miss

by tjkennaiii Updated Oct 20, 2009

We were given this tip by another visitor. We tried to get reservations but were not able. We decided to visit the pub-like inn and at least enjoy some adult refreshments. Turns out someone canceled and we were able to get the reservation. We weren't disappointed. Seafood chowder was the best I've had since visiting Ireland. Meals and atmosphere were wonderful. Make reservations well in advance of visiting.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Chowder

The Ragged Edge: Coffeehouse

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 9, 2009

The Ragged Edge would be the perfect place to stop for a simple breakfast, casual lunch or dinner. We grabbed coffee and muffins before departing Gettysburg one morning and found it to be a very friendly place.

Locals formed a line from the counter to the front door, but their orders were taken promptly and we moved along nicely. A cute little courtyard in the back held tables and even a hammock. It was here that we enjoyed our light meal and read the local newspaper.

Items on the breakfast menu were: eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit cup,baked oatmeal, bagels and pastries. Sandwiches reigned for lunch/dinner: such as grilled chicken breast with bacon, provolone,ranch dressing, pickles, lettuce and tomato sandwich ($6.50), but you could also select Veggie hummus ($6.50), a Chef's salad ($6.50) or Veggie burger ($6.50).

We would visit this restaurant again!

The Ragged Edge Outdoor courtyard
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

Civil-la-tea: Victorian tea room

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 9, 2009

Update: I don't believe Civil-la-tea is still operating in Gettysburg, as we did not see it on our last visit.

I really enjoy visiting tearooms, so once I discovered Civil-la-tea I had to try it.

Delicate teapots and accessories, scented candles, pretty floral china pieces catch your eye as you enter the gift shop.

The tea room is beyond the shop--it is a picture of Victorian splendor and very cozy with florals and lace covering the table.

We sampled the scones, tea sandwiches, soup and dessert and ate every crumb. There was a large selection of teas available. It was an enjoyable experience!

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Theme tea which was $15.99

Antique calling card from my collection

Dobbinhouse Tavern: Dining at an 1776 tavern

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 9, 2009

Update: July, 2009 On a recent visit we dined here for dinner and were treated royally: excellent service, historic atmosphere and a very tasty meal. I ordered filet mignon that was a melt-in-your-mouth delight!

The Dobbinhouse Tavern was built in 1776 and is on the Register of Historic Places. This 18th century tavern looks much as it did when it was first built. Once you eat, take a tour of the tavern because you'll find it very interesting.

pic #2 the grounds in summer
    pic #3 one of the dining rooms

We just had sandwiches at The Spring House, but eating in the historic tavern made them taste like gourmet food. The pub-like room was dimly lit and just oozed atmosphere. It reminded me alot of Williamsburg. You'll find The Mile High and Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast Sandwiches here for lunch! More formal dinners can be enjoyed in the Alexander Robbins dining room. There is a really nice gift shop attached to the tavern that is worth visiting.

Cilvil War Belle at the Dobbinhouse Tavern Dobbinhouse Tavern Historic setting in the dining room
    • Architecture

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Dobbin's Tavern: 18th Century Restaurant and Bar

by easterntrekker Written May 9, 2009

There is now doubt this is a tourist trap of sorts and the place was packed . Of course we were part of the great Northern Migration , when people leave Forida in April and head back North so it was very busy. Having said all that we enjoyed the food we had in the downstairs pub and managed to get a seat at the bar right away. I had some pretty good crab cakes and my husband enjoyed his hamburger . There is full service candlelight dining upstairs ( even for lunch) Not sure I'd go back unless it was a whole lot less crowded.

• Seniors

• roamer61's Profile Photo

The Dobbin House Resteraunt.: The Dobbin House Restaurant.

by roamer61 Updated Nov 2, 2008

Tne restaurant is situated in a historic building, the oldest in Gettysburg. It was constructed way back in 1776. During the battle, it was used as a hospital for union troops. The house gets its name from the owner who lived there during the summer of 1863.

Favorite Dish: This restaurant features a wide variety of american and regional cuisine including steaks, chops and seafood.

General Pickett's Buffets: Eat Until You Can't Stand Up

by AlbuqRay Updated Jul 15, 2008

General Pickett's Buffets is another restaurant I saw but did not get a chance to try. It is actually attached to the back of the Battle Theatre and Tour Center. Their menu sounds pretty good, especially if you are really hungry or like to eat too much. It gets mixed reviews on TripAdvisor.

General Pickett's Buffets Battle Theatre and Tour Center

Dobbin House Tavern: Fine Dining in a Bedroom

by AlbuqRay Updated Jul 12, 2008

The Dobbin House is Gettysburg's oldest (built in 1776), most historic home. It has been restored and is open to the public as a colonial restaurant. If you stay in the Gettystown Inn, your breakfast is served downstairs in the former parlor and study. For lunch they add seating in the downstairs dining room and library. After I finished my breakfast, the hostess let me take a look at the fining dining area upstairs in the "bedrooms." Of course, it was closed at that time of day and I had the rooms all to myself. I got some good pics. Later in the day, you may enjoy "Candlelight Fine Dining in the Colonial Manner" there. The menu is pretty fancy and includes the "Daily Fare, Of Soups & C., Of Flesh, Of Fish, Of Health Drinking, and Of Homemade Confectionaries & C."

Upstairs Fine Dining Room Would You Like Dinner in Bed? Regular Tables Too

• The Farnsworth House: Not Worth the Hype!

by DonnaKaz Written Apr 3, 2008

The restaurant is on one of the main streets in Gettysburg. The building itself is incredible. The outside terrace of the restaurant is very nice and great for people watching. The food was horrible as was the service. The Farnsworth House would be a nice place for drinks on the terrace but that is about it. Also, it was pretty expensive for something so poor in quality.

Favorite Dish: We were there with 6 other people in our party and we each got something different. The French Onion Soup was probably the only good thing on the menu. Everyone in our party was disappointed with their meal.

Instant Answers: Gettysburg

Comments

Gettysburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gettysburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gettysburg sightseeing.