Gettysburg Restaurants

by Wanderer001
  • Restaurants
    by Wanderer001

Most Recent Restaurants in Gettysburg

• General Picketts Buffet: Best buffet in Gettysburg!

by ballpienhammer Written Dec 23, 2007

All American food including sliced before your eyes, roast of beef and smoked ham. Best fried catfish this side of Texas. Hot steam table buffet replenished frequently. Friendly atmosphere featuring Gettysburg Battlefied and Pensylvania covered bridges photographs throughout the dining areas. No waiting due to large seating area in several rooms. This is the only restaurant I suggest to visiting Gettysburg families.

Favorite Dish: Roast beef freshly sliced as you like it. Hot and juicy.

• Wanderer001's Profile Photo

McClellan's Tavern: Not what I was looking for

by Wanderer001 Updated Nov 20, 2007

I have mixed feelings on this particular eating establishment. For starters it seems common place for restaurants and the like in the area to have menus outside to give visitors an idea of what will be offered inside. So we look at the menu outside see some things we wanted to try and go in. We sit down order some sodas and then the menus arrive. At this point I was a little set back the prices did not seem to reflect those that were out side. To my amazement the differences did not stop there to be honest I could not find one thing that I had seen on the menu outside in the one that was handed to me. So when the person came back I asked for the checks and we left.

Aside from that the place said casual dinning, it might have just been me but I felt a little under dressed in jeans and a t shirt. Looked like the norm was dress slacks or better.

Now I am not saying the food is bad or anything, just that it was not what I was looking for price wise or food wise. The menu was very large and had a variety of items on it.

Favorite Dish: Guess that would have to be the cola. It was cold and had decent amount of ice, not too much or to little. Glass size was about average. If I remember right it was around $3.

• Wanderer001's Profile Photo

Rita's: Best way to cool down

by Wanderer001 Written Sep 19, 2007

Some times on those hot summer days you don't want to go eat something heavy you just want to cool down. But want something more substantial then ice cream? Thats when you go to Ritas. Here they serve custard which is made with egg yolks. It is like ice cream only thicker and more creamy. This place also serves Italian Ice and while this selection is some what small in comparison to other places it is still enough to satisfy even the most picky people. Every time I come to Gettysburg I have to come here at least once.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish so to speak is something called a Gelato, it is a combination of both the custard ice cream and Italian ice. It is served in a cup with one layer of custard then Italian ice of the flavor of your choosing and then another layer of custard.

• Ernie's Texas Lunch: Great Breakfasts, and Weiners!

by JoeCoastie Written Aug 19, 2007

I am one of the G-burg locals that loves Ernie's. The Texas wieners are unique; shorter, tougher casing, grilled, and with a great taste. Add the chili, minced onions and mustard, and you have a unique flavor mix. They don't travel well, as the bun tends to soak up the various juices. But you can't beat them if you are eating there. Add an order of fries for a quick lunch. Make sure, however, that you don't have any afternoon meetings, as there is no way to cover the unique aroma. The breakfasts are great, too. Their home fries are thinly sliced fried potatoes. I recommend with onions, and fried until crisp. Others tell me the chipped beef on toast is great. It is a small place, and can be packed at lunch, and - unfortunately - smoking is allowed. To me, it is worth the challenge. You will see anyone from local judges to ditch diggers enjoying the food. They open at 6:00 am. A friend claimed he used to enjoy watching folks coming off the third shift having a beer with their eggs and hot dogs! While I haven't observed that meal, I have seen and heard enough local flavor to keep me chuckling. Great food and color, with townies, G-burg College students, and tourists mixing well. Enjoy!!

Favorite Dish: Texas wiener, "with everything" (onions, chili, and mustard). For breakfast - scrambled eggs, home fries, sausage, and toast, with coffee (under $6.00!).

• Dobbin House Restaurant: Cuisine with History

by ckeller Updated May 4, 2007

Housed in the oldest building in Adams County, the Dobbin House restaurant offers fine dining with historic flair. Look past the touristy costumed servers and notice the authentic period furnishings and original woodwork and walls of the 18th century home where Rev. Dobbin lived with his (I believe) 18 children. The food is delicious, early American fare, including steaks, chops, seafood & pasta selections prepared over an open fire. Moderately priced, and reservations well in advance are a must during the tourist season.

Favorite Dish: The Adams County roast duckling and drunken scallops are phenomenal, as are the warm muffins & breads served to each table at the beginning of the meal.

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

Dunlap's Restaurant: dining and baked goods

by davecallahan Updated Apr 18, 2007

We stopped for a turkey club sandwich and a BLT and some coffee.
    They have a full breakast, lunch and dinner menu that you can see on the website below but we were in a bit of a hurry and needed to get a quick bite to eat.

This family-owned and operated restaurant was casual; tables and booths of medium color wood and paper napkins. The staff was quick to serve (for which we were thankful) and they prepared the meal in minutes (not much cooking time needed for a sandwich) and we ate and drank fairly quickly.

After we had paid for the dinner, we walked over to the bakery section to get an assortment of freshly baked cookies to take on the road.

• Giina's Place: Homemade Italian Food

by sshibley Updated Mar 13, 2007

If you crave Italian American the old fashioned way, right down to the plastic that covers the handmade linen table clothes, try this family owned place on Highway 116, just four miles South of the Center of Gettysburg. The La Franca family, in the food business for thirty years, makes everything from scratch with daily specials and a full bar. Wines featured are regional Italiian. Meats, seafood and homemade pasta dishes with sauces that bring you back to your childhood.

Favorite Dish: The chicken or veal francese (in bread crumbs with lemon sauce) with a side of Gina's delicate homemade fettucini alfredo will keep you coming back for more. Their pizzas are the best around and Anthony, Gina's well trained chef/son, makes a tender and finger licking rack of ribs. Run by the family, so not a place to be in a hurry.

• National/State Park

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

The Farnsworth House Inn/Tavern: Federal style restaurant in Gettysburg

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 5, 2007

Farnsworth House Inn and Tavern

We've eaten here a number of times and love dining on the outside terrace in the evening. It's surrounded by flowers, statuary and lush plantings. The Farnsworth Tavern was built in 1810 in the Federal style and supposedly the most haunted inn in America, so says the travel channel. The Ghost Tour originates outside the tavern--carriage rides can be booked here, as well.

Try their pumpkin fritters, sweet potato pudding and spoon bread--fantastic! Any entree we've ordered has been delicious, too!

Taking a carriage ride through the narrow streets at night is interesting. As carriage lanterns light your way, the guide's narration contributes to a feeling of experiencing life from an earlier time!

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin fritters!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Old Farnsworth Inn: Historical Eatery

by KiKitC Updated Oct 19, 2006

Prepare for a wait if it's a weekend! Built in 1810 and added onto in 1833, the building itself is part of Civil War history. Bullet holes riddle the south wall. It's been showcased on Haunted Travel TV shows and is a very popular spot. It is not a large place, and it fills quickly.

There is a great display of Civil War weaponry and articles used as movie props, and many Civil War re-enacters frequent the pub, adding to the atmosphere. Chances are you may encounter someone that is not re-enacting 1863...

It's "confirmed" haunted...by paranormal experts...but I can say, the feelings you get in the ladies room will make your hair stand on end...sorry guys...

• Study Abroad

• brock201's Profile Photo

The Dobbin House Restaurant and Tavern: Rub Elbows with a Stranger

by brock201 Written Sep 22, 2006

The 1776 portion of the Dobbin House

I classified this as a Pub, as the Tavern section is the portion that I visited. It is located in the basement of the original 1776 Dobbin House. Candles are placed on every table, as there are very few electric lights in the place. Don't worry if your candle goes out, they'll get you a new on right away. It's noisy, cramped, and crowded. It just also happens to give you a great feel of how a tavern of the 18th and 19th centuries would have felt. The atmosphere is wonderful, and gives you a good chance to strike up a conversation with the strangers sitting next to you. I've been to other "tavern" restaurants that try to accomplish what the Dobbin House has. This is very easily the most interesting and unique restaurant I've eaten in to date.

Favorite Dish: I had a soup and sandwich special when I visited. The soup was French onion, and I'll be the first to admit that I had never had French onion soup before, but this stuff blew me away. If all French onion soup tasted that good, I would have it for every meal. The sandwich was a turkey on pumpernickel, which was also quite good. Lemonade to drink, apple pie that melted in my mouth for dessert. The restaurant, which is only open for dinner, is more expensive than the tavern, but given the quality of their "pub food," I'm sure it's well worth the money.

• Architecture

• the avenue restaurant: big breakfast

by stef435 Written Aug 14, 2006

We have not been to the Avenue restaurant for quite a few years. After getting bored with the mc donalds seen I isaid let's try the Ave Restaurant this morning. We both had the breakfast special
    which was two eggs with two saugage patties,home fries, toast and coffee. I also had a small fresh orange juice. We could not move after this breakfast. they really give you some breakfast for only $6.75. The food was great cooked right. these are new owners and they have the right attitude for serving their customers,good food for a reasonable price.
    Try hosses on route 30 for a great steak dinner reasonable price,great salad bar.
    In town try Pickets BUffet on Steinwehr Ave also good food reasonable price

• Travmad's Profile Photo

The Pub: Irish American

by Travmad Written Aug 13, 2006

I don't get the cherubs?

As "Pubs" in America go this one is again so so. Just an average place to get a drink and dinner or a sandwich for lunch and an inflated price because it a tourist town.

Favorite Dish: I had a chicken cordon blue sanwich with fries and an Iced tea. My brother in law Shawn had a sausage sanwich and Devon my nephew had a grilled cheese all where very good and all around the ten dollar mark. What I did like about it was the fact that they have some outside seating on the street so you can watch the world go by or as we did watch the freash produce being sold right in front of us. I enjoy people watching.

• 1smartblonde's Profile Photo

Fairfield Inn: Historic ambience and cozy feel

by 1smartblonde Updated Oct 5, 2005

Fairfield Inn

We took a side trip for lunch from the battlefield auto tour between stops #6 & 7. The town of Fairfield is about 20 minutes from Gettysburg battlefield and the restaurant is right on the Main Street so you can't miss it. The Inn is well over 200 years old and has a long history steeped in colonial era as well as the Civil War's. There is a main dinning area and a tavern room both decorated in the revolutionary period. The main dining area was surrounded by windows (though it still seemed dim) and looked to be set up for "fine" dining with water glasses and linens. At the entrance to the room was a huge walk in fireplace that was burning and smoky. The tavern room had the bar with dining tables and seating areas with cushy chairs. Since we had kids with us, we chosen to eat in the tavern.

The lunch menu consisted of the usual. Cheese appetizer, hamburgers and quiche are what we ordered. The food was average from my end but since I am the history buff I came here more to see the architecture than I did for the cuisine.

Favorite Dish: Nothing really stood out on the lunch menu but, I would try them for dinner!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

The Plaza Restaurant: On the Square

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 19, 2004

Many restaurants come and go here in Gettysburg...much like everywhere else in the entire world. The Plaza is an exception...much like every other restaurant I've written tips about on here...but that's neither here nor there.
    The square in Gettysburg is a great place to people watch and since the Plaza is located right on the square, it's a prime people watching location. Great food, too. They have a large menu and good variety

Favorite Dish: The crabcakes are wonderful!!! AND they serve alcohol.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Ernies Texas Lunch: My family loves this place

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 19, 2004

I don't get what all the excitement is about, personally. My family loves this place so much, they have the food shipped across the state. My neice and I were looking forward to trying it out when we were down there a couple years ago because not only did my family insist this was the best place ever, but I heard it from other people from Gettysburg. It much be a local thing...
    What Ernie is "famous" for, is hot dogs. Texas hot dogs...never did I know there was a difference, but I stand corrected. You can get them a million ways, but in the end, to me, they are hot dogs. Nothing to get your family's hopes up about... Ernie does have one big weiner, I'll give him that--but I've had better.

Favorite Dish: I just noticed the other day there is a breakfast menu. Unfortunately, Ernie's isn't open on Sundays when I passed by, but next time, I feel inclined to try out the breakfast.

Instant Answers: Gettysburg

Comments

Gettysburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gettysburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gettysburg sightseeing.