Gettysburg Restaurants

by Wanderer001

Best Rated Restaurants in Gettysburg

Dobbinhouse Tavern: Dining at an 1776 tavern

Cilvil War Belle at the Dobbinhouse Tavern

Update: July, 2009 On a recent visit we dined here for dinner and were treated royally: excellent service, historic atmosphere and a very tasty meal. I ordered filet mignon that was a melt-in-your-mouth delight!

The Dobbinhouse Tavern was built in 1776 and is on the Register of Historic Places. This 18th century tavern looks much as it did when it was first built. Once you eat, take a tour of the tavern because you'll find it very interesting.

pic #2 the grounds in summer
    pic #3 one of the dining rooms

We just had sandwiches at The Spring House, but eating in the historic tavern made them taste like gourmet food. The pub-like room was dimly lit and just oozed atmosphere. It reminded me alot of Williamsburg. You'll find The Mile High and Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast Sandwiches here for lunch! More formal dinners can be enjoyed in the Alexander Robbins dining room. There is a really nice gift shop attached to the tavern that is worth visiting.

• Architecture

The Farnsworth House Inn/Tavern: Federal style restaurant in Gettysburg

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 5, 2007

Farnsworth House Inn and Tavern

We've eaten here a number of times and love dining on the outside terrace in the evening. It's surrounded by flowers, statuary and lush plantings. The Farnsworth Tavern was built in 1810 in the Federal style and supposedly the most haunted inn in America, so says the travel channel. The Ghost Tour originates outside the tavern--carriage rides can be booked here, as well.

Try their pumpkin fritters, sweet potato pudding and spoon bread--fantastic! Any entree we've ordered has been delicious, too!

Taking a carriage ride through the narrow streets at night is interesting. As carriage lanterns light your way, the guide's narration contributes to a feeling of experiencing life from an earlier time!

Favorite Dish: Pumpkin fritters!

Avenue (diner) Restaurant: Standard diner fare

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 18, 2004

It's pretty standard as far as what you'd expect at a little eatery or diner. Sandwiches, some basic entrees, great coffee and desserts. We've been going to this place since I was little, the name has "elevated" from diner to restaurant status, but it's still the same place.

Favorite Dish: hehe, I was here today (April 18) and got a banana split for lunch:) It was 87 degrees outside, we had been walking all day and the thought of eating something hot just didn't make sense to me. My dad recommends the reuben sandwiches...

The Dobbin House: Historical Dining

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 19, 2004

Dobbin House

Though a little more expensive than surrounding restaurants, this is one of the best places to eat in Gettysburg.

First, this is the oldest building in Gettysburg, from 1776, part of the National Register of Historic Places...it was a station on the Underground Railroad and also a hospital for the wounded of both the North and South during the Civil War. It was only used for GOOD reasons! There are 2 choices--you can either go to the Tavern or the dining room, both of which are set in colonial times, with that sort of atmosphere...the servers are wearing period clothing, the decor is set at that, the music played if from the 1700 and 1800's and even the menu is based around the time.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu is "homemade" and everything I've had, and my family has had is good. However, I haven't eaten here for years, so I am not going to recommend a specific dish. What's cool about dining here is that all 6 dining rooms are set up in the house. this means you can either eat in the the Dining Room, Library, Parlour, Study, Spinning Room or Bedroom.

There are meat, poultry, vegetarian and seafood entrees, LOTS of desserts and great drinks.

The Plaza Restaurant: On the Square

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 19, 2004

Many restaurants come and go here in Gettysburg...much like everywhere else in the entire world. The Plaza is an exception...much like every other restaurant I've written tips about on here...but that's neither here nor there.
    The square in Gettysburg is a great place to people watch and since the Plaza is located right on the square, it's a prime people watching location. Great food, too. They have a large menu and good variety

Favorite Dish: The crabcakes are wonderful!!! AND they serve alcohol.

Civil-la-tea: Victorian tea room

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 9, 2009

Antique calling card from my collection

Update: I don't believe Civil-la-tea is still operating in Gettysburg, as we did not see it on our last visit.

I really enjoy visiting tearooms, so once I discovered Civil-la-tea I had to try it.

Delicate teapots and accessories, scented candles, pretty floral china pieces catch your eye as you enter the gift shop.

The tea room is beyond the shop--it is a picture of Victorian splendor and very cozy with florals and lace covering the table.

We sampled the scones, tea sandwiches, soup and dessert and ate every crumb. There was a large selection of teas available. It was an enjoyable experience!

Favorite Dish: We ordered the Theme tea which was $15.99

Lincoln Diner: Another diner

by PA2AKgirl Written Apr 19, 2004

Not much to say...again, typical diner food. It's a place that's been around FOREVER. I can remember coming here when I was little after my father decided to take this terrible "shortcut" to Gettysburg from our house. A 2 hour ride at the VERY most ended up being over 4 hours. I still don't know what he could have possibly done, but I do recall my mother not being very happy.
    So, we went to the Lincoln diner after we finally arrived and everything was better. This is how the whole thing went in my mind...I'm sure it wasn't this easy:)

Favorite Dish: Good sandwiches...

Ernies Texas Lunch: My family loves this place

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 19, 2004

I don't get what all the excitement is about, personally. My family loves this place so much, they have the food shipped across the state. My neice and I were looking forward to trying it out when we were down there a couple years ago because not only did my family insist this was the best place ever, but I heard it from other people from Gettysburg. It much be a local thing...
    What Ernie is "famous" for, is hot dogs. Texas hot dogs...never did I know there was a difference, but I stand corrected. You can get them a million ways, but in the end, to me, they are hot dogs. Nothing to get your family's hopes up about... Ernie does have one big weiner, I'll give him that--but I've had better.

Favorite Dish: I just noticed the other day there is a breakfast menu. Unfortunately, Ernie's isn't open on Sundays when I passed by, but next time, I feel inclined to try out the breakfast.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

THE SPRINGHOUSE TAVERN: Living History~

by Yaqui Written May 31, 2011

In 1776 the house was dedicated and Mr. Dobbin and his Irish wife. Isabella moved in. They produced ten children before her death in 1800.

The Colonial Bar in the Springhouse Tavern was built in 1818 by George Dick for his tavern near Dillsburg. Pa. George is the great. great. great grandfather of the present owner of the Dobbin House, Jacqueline White.

The ambience is wonderful in here and very comfortable. I will say the chairs my sister and I sat on had seen better days. Yet, the food was delicious and the service was wonderful. It is little pricey, but worth it!

Favorite Dish: DOBBIN'S HOT BEEF SANDWICH $8.75
    Tender roast beef piled high on a hearth baked roll. Served up with its own juices for dipping. Choice of Potato Sallade, Cole Sla, or Potato Chips.~~It was good:)

Gettysburg: Eateries Along the Historic Walking Tour

by AlbuqRay Updated Dec 29, 2009

Hunt's Cafe

In May 08 I saw several interesting places to try when I was doing the historic walking tour (see my travelogues here). They included Hunt's Cafe, O'Rorke's Family Eatery and Spirits, Sunset Ice Cream Parlor, Avenue Restaurant, and Farnsworth House Dining. However, since I was only in Gettysburg one night in May 08, I just had time for the Plaza Restaurant for dinner (see previous tip) and the Dobbins House for breakfast. In Sep 09 I returned to Gettysburg for two nights. Besides returning to the Plaza Restaurant, I was able to try O'Rorke's and the Avenue Restaurant. I also added Ernie's Texas Lunch and the Gettysburg Family Restaurant.

• Hiking and Walking

Ernie's Texas Lunch: Cheap and Fast

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

Ernie's Texas Lunch (downstairs on right)

Gettysburg is not known for unexpensive travel; however, Ernie's Texas Lunch is definitely good value if you are hungry and don't want to spend much. Ernie's has three all day specials ("real deals") on their menu for $4.19 and three for $5.49. There are also six breakfast (served 6 - 11 AM) specials for $2.99 and $3.99.

Favorite Dish: I chose the #1 which includes a hamburger or a hot dog, small fries and a small drink. Since I am from New Mexico but born in Oklahoma, I had to try their taco dog and gravy fries. Don't ask about the calories! The taco dog was not very spicy but tasted good. The gravy was a little bland but the fries were good.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo

Old Farnsworth Inn: Historical Eatery

by KiKitC Updated Oct 19, 2006

Prepare for a wait if it's a weekend! Built in 1810 and added onto in 1833, the building itself is part of Civil War history. Bullet holes riddle the south wall. It's been showcased on Haunted Travel TV shows and is a very popular spot. It is not a large place, and it fills quickly.

There is a great display of Civil War weaponry and articles used as movie props, and many Civil War re-enacters frequent the pub, adding to the atmosphere. Chances are you may encounter someone that is not re-enacting 1863...

It's "confirmed" haunted...by paranormal experts...but I can say, the feelings you get in the ladies room will make your hair stand on end...sorry guys...

• Study Abroad

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Dobbin's Tavern: 18th Century Restaurant and Bar

by easterntrekker Written May 9, 2009

There is now doubt this is a tourist trap of sorts and the place was packed . Of course we were part of the great Northern Migration , when people leave Forida in April and head back North so it was very busy. Having said all that we enjoyed the food we had in the downstairs pub and managed to get a seat at the bar right away. I had some pretty good crab cakes and my husband enjoyed his hamburger . There is full service candlelight dining upstairs ( even for lunch) Not sure I'd go back unless it was a whole lot less crowded.

• Seniors

The Ragged Edge: Coffeehouse

The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge would be the perfect place to stop for a simple breakfast, casual lunch or dinner. We grabbed coffee and muffins before departing Gettysburg one morning and found it to be a very friendly place.

Locals formed a line from the counter to the front door, but their orders were taken promptly and we moved along nicely. A cute little courtyard in the back held tables and even a hammock. It was here that we enjoyed our light meal and read the local newspaper.

Items on the breakfast menu were: eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit cup,baked oatmeal, bagels and pastries. Sandwiches reigned for lunch/dinner: such as grilled chicken breast with bacon, provolone,ranch dressing, pickles, lettuce and tomato sandwich ($6.50), but you could also select Veggie hummus ($6.50), a Chef's salad ($6.50) or Veggie burger ($6.50).

We would visit this restaurant again!

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

Gettysburg Family Restaurant: Basic and Cheap

by AlbuqRay Updated Jan 2, 2010

Gettysburg Family Restaurant

The Gettysburg Family Restaurant is on the west side of town. I stopped for a light lunch on my way to Hershey. Their breakfasts are highly recommended but their lunch specials also looked good and were very reasonably priced ($4.00 - $6.45).

Favorite Dish: When I ate there, the soup of the day was cream of crab. There was a lunch special for $4.00 that included an egg salad sandwich on toast and a cup of soup. I was not disappointed. Both were quite good. I had seen several good looking desserts in a case near the entrance and asked for the dessert menu. I had never heard of shoo fly pie ($3.00) before and asked the waitress what it was. It turns out to be an Amish recipe. Although I wanted to try it, when she checked, the pies had not yet been delivered that day. I was "forced" to go with the chocolate cake with peanut butter icing ($3.50). It was pretty good but I still must try the shoo fly pie some time.

Instant Answers: Gettysburg

Comments

Gettysburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gettysburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gettysburg sightseeing.