Did you mean?Try your search again
My wife and I decided to stop and check out the outlets after visiting the battlesite at Gettysburg. The Outlets are the run of the mill with the typical shops such as Brooks Brothers, Van Husen, Children's Place, etc.
We wandered into a few shops but nothing caught the eye.
Updated Jul 23, 2012
THE CYCLORAMA IS AN INCREDIBLE painting of the Battle of Gettysburg. If unrolled it would be 100 yeards long and 4 stories high. It was painted by a French artist in the 19th century! Here, it has been curled into a circle so that the battle surrounds you 360 degrees. Through lighting and sound effects plus an expert narrator, you will learn about the battle and also about the painting. It is amazing.
Written Oct 7, 2011
Address: In the museum
HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS not taken on the battlefield but rather of historic areas in the town of Gettysburg.
You can see photos of the Jennie Wade home; she was the only woman, and the only Gettysburg citizen, to be killed during the Battle of Gettysburg. She was standing in her kitchen, baking bread for the Union soldiers, when a bullet came through the door and took her life. She was 20 years old. Her fiancee was a union soldier who was to die in battle without ever knowing of his sweetheart's tragic fate.
Also you can see a photo of a unique Lincoln sculpture in which he stand with a "modern" person who is holding a copy of the Gettysburg address. Lincoln is gesturing toward a building know as the Wills house. In that building, Lincoln put the finishing touches on the Gettysburg Address the night before he delivered the famous and stirring speech.
Written Oct 7, 2011
Address: Jennie Wade home: 548 Baltimore Street
Built in 1836 by George Swope, President of Gettysburg National Bank a very wealthy resident in Gettysburg. Not much else is know about the gentlement, but his residence was used like so many homes during and after the battle as a refuge for wounded Union soldiers.
A Lt. William H. Pohlman, the only Civil War soldier born in 1842, the son of missionaries on the island of Borneo. He was sent to America and raised by his Aunt Elizabeth Pohlman McClure. He was part of the 1st New Jersey Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company G. After being wounded at "Pickets Charge" several times he kept on fighting and bandaging his own wounds. He passed out while walking himself to the hospital. He was sent to the home to recover, but sadley he passed away. Here is a good article about the home and last events of his life. Lt. William H. Pohlman
Updated Jun 1, 2011
This house built by Michael Hoke in ca. 1788 is the oldest building in Gettysburg. Hoke purchased one of the first three deeds sold by James Getty on November 30, 1787 and immediately began construction of this sturdy stone structure. In 1843 it was purchased by Nicholas Codori, a local butcher, who was living here in July 1863. Codori is best known for his farm situated along the Emmitsburg Road where Confederate Generals George Pickett's and Johnston Pettigrew's divisions were repulsed in their attempt to break the center of the Union line on July 3rd, 1863. Now the home of the Brafferton Inn.http://codorifamily.com/44_york_st.htm
Updated Jun 1, 2011
Address: 44 York Street Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: (717) 337-3423
On July 1, 1863, Gettysburg's center square was the eye in the storm of panic and confusion that swirled in the town's streets and alleys as the routed Union 1st and 11th Corps fled toward the safety of Cemetery Hill.
Some Union soldiers rallied here in an attempt to stem the Confederate pursuit. Union artillery deployed nearby and sent "grape shot" flying across the square. The relentless Confederate pressure, however quickly drove the defenders further down Baltimore Street.
The pursuing Confederates took possession of the square and poured deadly fire along the streets into their fleeing foes.
Col. Gilbert Prey, commander of the 104th New York whose regiment survived the hailstorm of bullets, recalled getting through the town "by the skin of our teeth."
Over 3,000 of his comrades were not so fortunate.
Located in fron of the Gettysburg Hotel.
Written Jun 1, 2011
First courthouse for Adams County stood in old center square from 1804 to 1859. The land for the Square was given by James Gettys. The marker is located in front the Gettysburg Hotel.
Gettysburg-Adams Chamber of Commerce • 18 Carlisle Street • Suite 203 (717 334 8151)
Gettysburg Convention & Visitors Bureau • 102 Carlisle Street (717 334 6274)
Gettysburg National Military Park • 1195 Baltimore Pike (717 334 1124)
Updated Jun 1, 2011
From the historical marker (located on Gettysburg Hotel Facing Wall):
Since the founding of Gettysburg this has been the site of successive inns -- Scott's Tavern, The Indian Queen, The Franklin House and the McClellan House, which Col. John McClellan and his family operated prior, during and after the battle. The first Hotel Gettysburg was operated successively by the Dillers, the Millers, the Zinns and the Gilmores.
Immediately preceding the 50th anniversary of the battle in 1913, the second Hotel Gettysburg took form and was operated by the Rings. For 50 years until its closing in 1964 it was directed by two generations of the Scharf family who enlarged and completely modernized it in 1925.
During this period Hotel Gettysburg achieved national and international prominence. It entertained most of the notables visiting this shrine. Frequently during President Eisenhower's two terms it was headquarters for the Presidential staff, the White House correspondents, visiting dignitaries and journalists and housed an official White House press room and communications center. In August 1959, during a working vacation, the President's office was in the hotel
On January 21, 1961, the day after his retirement from office, President and Mrs. Eisenhower were greeted by thousands of Adams Countians in front of the hotel. This was followed by an equally enthusiastic welcome home dinner in its main dining room.
The Eisenhowers were the last diners to be served on December 14, 1964 when Hotel Gettysburg ceased operations later becoming the Lincoln Square Building.
Updated Jun 1, 2011
Address: #1 Lincoln Square, Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: (717) 337-2000
During the Battle of Gettyburg this Federal style building, erected in 1817, housed Professor Martin Stoever's family and J.L. Schick's general store. As a result of the battle the building hosted a variety of unusual events. Shortly after the fighting began on July 1st, the Stoever's quarters became an impromptu hospital for 20 wounded Union soldiers. Mrs. Stoever recalled the disruption in the house. "The Professer's recitation room became the amputation room..." While the wounded were nursed upstairs, three fugitive Union soldiers were secretly sustained in the cellar by the Professor until the Confedarates found them on July 3rd. Three days following the Confederate withdrawal, the Christian Commission took over Schick's store for their supply and distribution center, while the Stoevers ran an "open commissary" in their back yard, feeding an endless number of hungry soldiers.
Updated Jun 1, 2011
Address: 1 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg PA 17325
Alexander Dobbin was born in Ireland in 1742. In December of 1773. after studying for the ministry. he came to America and became pastor of the Rock Creek Church. located near Gettysburg.
He soon purchased 300 acres of land and in 1774 began construction of a new house. In 1776 the house was dedicated and Mr. Dobbin and his Irish wife. Isabella moved in. They produced ten children before her death in 1800.
Because of Mr. Dobbin's manner and education he soon became a highly respected community leader. He also established the first classical school west of the Susquehanna River in his home. The school gained a high reputation.
Sometime after his wife died. Mr. Dobbin married Mary Agnew. She and her nine children resided at the "Dobbin House" creating a total of nineteen children.
In 1809 Mr. Dobbin became sick and departed of this earth. He is buried iust a few miles from here. but his house and ideals live on. The house is registered with the "National Register of Historic Places". "Pennsylvania State Historical Registry" and with Gettysburg's "Historic Landmarks".
The house stands now almost exactly as it did 200 years ago. The never-failing springs under the house served as the Dobbins' "well" and "refrigerator". All the springs have been diverted into one area to help preserve the building. and can sti11 be observed in the lower level that now serves as the "Springhouse Tavern".
In the middle 1800's the Dobbin House was used as a "Way Station" for hiding runaway slaves. The secret slave hideout is viewable close to the walk in fireplace. During the Civil War. it was used as a hospital for both union and confederate soldiers. After the war. the Dobbin House was reportedly used as a Tavern.
The Colonial Bar in the Springhouse Tavern was built in 1818 by George Dick for his tavern near Dillsburg. Pa. George is the great. great. great grandfather of the present owner of the Dobbin House, Jacqueline White.
Written May 31, 2011
Address: 89 Steinwebr Ave. Gettysburg. P A 717-334-2100
James Gettys Hotel Gettysburg
1 Review and 141 Opinions Who wouldn't want to stay in a Civil War hospital restored as a luxurious boutique hotel? I've...
Hilton Garden Inn Gettysburg Gettysburg
2 Reviews and 432 Opinions The rooms were great. Very clean and the staff was kind and helpful.
Comfort Suites Gettysburg Gettysburg
3 Reviews and 528 Opinions We were only there one night, but the desk personnel were friendly and helpful. the room was clean...