Johnstown Restaurants

View from Em's
    Inside Em's

Most Recent Restaurants in Johnstown

• JulieJueletha's Profile Photo

The Boulevard Grill: Great Food, People and Entertainment!

by JulieJueletha Updated Jan 20, 2014

ME AND MY CRABCAKE!

Boulevard Grill
    165 Southmont Blvd, Johnstown, PA 15905
    Phone:(814) 539-5344

Menu: blvdgrill.com

I was introduced to the Boulevard Grill by my son and his friends on his 21st birthday. This was THE place they wanted to celebrate.My husband and I arrived, found street parking about a block away and walked over. I was not impressed with the building. Not too much character, a brick block building accented by awnings with motorcycles and cars parked all over the sidewalks. This was my son's 21st birthday so I didn't expect that he would select a fine dining hall. I figured this was a neighborhood bar and acceptable for that.

We came into a very crowded and noisy room with a large bar filling the center of the room surrounded by bar stools and a few tables with chairs along the walls. Many people were standing behind their friends at the bar who were on bar stools. We were a bit shocked at the noise and number of people crushed in. Unable to really move around the room we stood basically where we came in and looked for a seat. There were none. I heard my son's voice boom over the crowd "Mom!" and saw him motioning us toward him. We made it through the crowd to a side table where he and 5 of his friends were sitting drinking beers. He stood and leaned in toward me shouting in my ear so I could hear "Go up the stairs to the dining room, we will meet you there." He motioned to the back wall and for the first time I saw a few stairs leading up to another level. Up there we were able to breathe leaving the crowd behind.

To our left was a long stairway up. To our right down a few steps was another bar and a large empty room. We walked up the stairs and were seated in the sparsely populated dining room. Looking over the menu I chose the crab cakes (my husband is not so partial to crab) and my husband had salmon (which I don't eat). The salad was crisp and delicious, the entrees were equally good, and the white wine we had was an excellent accompany.

At the end of our meal we were joined by my son who explained that the entertainment area was downstairs and to join them when we were ready. We went to the bar we had passed and the band was setting up. Soon the music began. A reggae band was playing. People poured in from the lower bar and began moving. The music just made you want to move, and soon we all did. Although most of the people were younger no one seemed to notice that we joined their ranks and became part of their rythmic mass. It was a great night.

The Boulevard Grill offers many great menu selections at very reasonalbe prices. See the menu on line here: blvdgrill.com

Specials change regularly and a full bar offers most drinks, all at reasonable prices. Live entertainment varies from Reggae to Rock.

Open 11:30am–10:00pm Monday-Saturday, and Sunday 3pm-9pm

Overall reviews 4 out of 5 stars on Google. Reviews also on urbanspoon.com, foursquare.com, tripadvisor.com, citysearch.com

Sample week of entertainment schedule:

Sunday, February 2 2014

Friday, February 14 - Valentine's Day, 9:30pm
    The Crew of the 1/2 Moon plays until 12:30am

Saturday, February 15, 9:30pm
    Walt & Jackie play until 12:30am

Favorite Dish: Absolutely the crab cakes! Crispy, golden brown, lump crab meat crab cakes. Just delicious! The salad was crunchy fresh and equally delicious.

Dining room prices about $15-$30 American.

• Music

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Em's Subs - Downtown Johnstown

by Ewingjr98 Written Jul 17, 2009
    Inside Em's

Em's Subs is a tiny chain of sandwich restaurants in south central Pennsylvania with locations in Johnstown, Richland, Somerset, and Ebensburg. We stopped at the Johnstown location, because it was one of only two or three restaurants we could find in the downtown area of the city. From the outside, the restaurant is pretty plain, but the inside is open, well-lit, and very busy. One entire side of the restaurant is windows facing the small park that has Morley's Dog on display.

LHenne1 and I decided to share a large club sub ($5.25) and a bag of combos snacks ($2.35), and we each had a bottle of Coke ($1.50). The sandwich took about 5 or 10 minutes to make, kind of slow, but they were a popular place this day. The sandwich was large, inexpensive, and plenty big enough for the two of us to enjoy. We were in and out in about 25 minutes.

Parking is on the street in metered spaces.

• The Corner Coffee Shoppe Restaurant: Locals know!! Best Homestyle Cooking!

by msmck535 Written May 31, 2009

The Corner Coffee Shoppe is a wonderful family owned & operated homestyle restaurant. It has been operated by the same family for the past 35 years.It serves breakfast,lunch,&dinner. Homemade meals like mom used to make all with fresh homemade soups & pies .No frozen,pre made dessserts here! Definitley not a chain restaurant. They treat you like family! Locals eat here so repeatedly that they are known as "regulars" & called by name by the serving staff. The atmosphere is very relaxed,the service is great,& the food is excellent & very reasonably priced. most meals are under $7.00 with breakfast under$5.00. Local favorites are Ham Pot Pie,Swiss Steak,Stuffed Pork Chops,Graham Cracker Pie. I eat here every time.Well worth stopping.Located at 850 Scalp Avenue behind Shenanigans bar on Scalp Ave.

Favorite Dish: Fried Chicken Dinner,Roast Beef Dinner,& Chicken -n- gravy on Waffles. All homemade served with 2 sides & a smiling server.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors

• biyah's Profile Photo

Szechuan Chinese Restaurant: Chinese Food

by biyah Written Oct 30, 2007

I love beef and broccoli!!

Don't be fooled! Not all buffets are the same. At Szechuan on main st you're guaranteed to find the best Chinese cuisine Johnstown has to offer. Take from me, I grew up in Lower Manhattan the five points. There's no way I could grow up eating the best that New York City's Chinatown has to offer food wise and tell you that anything else I've tasted comes close...except Szechuan. It's usually packed at lunchtime, but if by chance you make it there after work you will find the bar a delightful end to a hard day. Spice up the relationship with take out! Order the "dirty" fortune cookies.

Favorite Dish: I truly love the buffet. The chicken and broccoli are my second favorite, still I love variety.

• Travmad's Profile Photo

Lone Star: The amount of food served here is unrealistic.

by Travmad Written Jun 18, 2007

BIG BIG BIG!!! If you haven't eaten in a life time and your really hungry this is the place for you. This is a Texas style steak house with huge portions. I don't frequent this place so I can only tell you of the sirloin steak that I got with baked potato. It was done to my liking and the service here was good.

• Luxury Travel
    • Beer Tasting

• Travmad's Profile Photo

Rey Azteca: Northern Mexican food

by Travmad Written Apr 16, 2006

Yum

Average Mexican restaurant ,actually the only one in town that is open for dinner, that serves a good meal in generous portions. Since Pennsylania has such strange old alcohol blue laws the owners only recently were able to serve alcohol.

Favorite Dish: Pollo poblano and buritto grande.

• CandyBear's Profile Photo

The best place I ate was...

by CandyBear Updated Aug 25, 2002

The best place I ate was Galinnoz I just reasently went to this restauraunt two weeks ago with my friend Kristen before she had her baby. We had a great time at this restrauraunt there food was exselt. There waitresses were very nice as well.
    The best thing about this restauraunt is there prices, service and there clean tabels plus it's an all Itailan restauraunt and I love itailan food. LOL!

Favorite Dish: I had there pizza and cheese bread sticks it was pretty good My friend Kristen had there french fries she said they were good and they must of been because I know she wouldn't eat anything unless she liked it.

• Coney Island: Best Hot Dogs and Hamburgers in the USA

by Tressey07 Updated Mar 28, 2005

Coney Island Lunch

This place is pretty much famous among the locals. I don't really know why I like it so much. It's just a Johnstown establishment.

Favorite Dish: You can get anything there, but I love to go for the breakfasts.

Instant Answers: Johnstown

Comments

Johnstown Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Johnstown restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Johnstown sightseeing.