Lewisburg Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Lewisburg

Shikellamy State Park

by PA2AKgirl Written May 4, 2004

Susquehanna Valley

It's not really as great at the other state parks in this area, but it's about 5 minutes from my house, on the same road where I live, so it deserves a tip:) Also, the view here, especially on a clear day is wonderful--you can see much of the Susquehanna Valley and where the north and west branches of the Susquehanna meet.
    I guess the one part of it is more of an overlook--but there's playgrounds and some picnic areas here as well. Close by you have Shamokin Dam, Selinsgrove, Sunbury (yuck) and Northumberland...all have places to eat and shop. Lewisburg is about 9 miles away or so...

We used to come here in the fall when I was little to gather leaves. My sister in law even made me put together a leaf book when I was 5--I just found it the other day in amazingly great shape. Therefore, I can tell you that there are aspen, birch, oak, maple, dogwood, sassafras and pine trees here. Thank god for that leaf book...

Across the river, still part of Shikellamy state park, is the marina. There's a larger park over there for kids, a dog park, places to rollerblade, 2 miles of trails for biking or walking, a boat launch, etc...

This park was named after Iroquois chief, Shikellamy (pronounced Shick el lemmy...) who was a good friend of both the colonists and American Indians.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

It's on fire!!

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 4, 2004

Okay, so this is really well off the beaten path, but it's cool to know it at least exists. There is this town not so far away and it's been burning for FORTY years!!

Can you believe it? Do you think I might be lying? Are you questioning all of my tips right now? Wonding just how credible is this girl?

Well, trust me--I would not fill your head with false hope (haha...I wonder if a burning town is really a hope of someone's)

The town is called Centralia and if you can't find it on a map, then that doesn't disprove me, it actually makes this tip even better--it's really off the beaten path then, right? It's located in the coal/antracite region of PA, about 30-40 minutes away from Lewisburg (driving fast). You'll go through other little coal towns that didn't endure the same fate (though they look like they endured something), like Shamokin, Ashland...and then, you'll come to it. A place where smoke is rising from the ground...it looks a little bit like very patchy ground fog. Here's what happened--this is quite a story, so please, prepare yourself accordingly:)

Someone dumped trash into an open pit in 1961 and tried to burn it. I don't know why, but that's still what people do w/ their trash today here in central PA--and it's legal!!! Anyway, it caught a vien of coal on fire, sent the flames underground and 43 years later, the fire is still burning. They had to move people out because the smoke was coming into their houses, but these people think it was just a plot so there could be open access to the coal. Who knows....

You NEED to see the pictures in this website--the "Then" and "Now" pictures are truly astonishing (this is NOT sarcasm!)

You can kind of get to this town now--take Rt. 61 toward Ashland and keep following it south....you'll see the way around on this website.

R.B Winter State Park/Halfway Dam

by PA2AKgirl Updated Mar 10, 2004

One of the few plowed roads

This place is about 17 miles from Lewisburg, I think. it's one of those places that I've been to so often that I don't even think of the distance. It's a state park and pretty decent...there's lots of trails, concessions, cabins, tent sites, things to do all year long. It's in the mountains (well, considering Lewisburg in like 50' above sea level and this is 1500'...we call that a mountain in Pennsylvania!!) which are really hills divided by ridges. It's beautiful in the winter, but geez, it gets cold. And in the summer, when you can swim in the lake, the water is terribly cold. I don't know why that place doesn't warm up! There's a FUN playground, meant for children, but it's still fun. Fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, all in the area.

R. B. Winter State Park
    17215 Buffalo Road
    Mifflinburg, PA 17844-9656

Check out the website for directions...it's well marked from Lewisburg, though.

2.20.04
    i just added this tip a couple days ago, but I decided it needed a picture and that I needed to get out of here for awhile. It was a wonderful drive--there was no one up there except a few snowmobilers and maintenance crews. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get on the trails, out to the dam or on a lot of the roads. Not sure what the maintenance crew is doing b/c they sure aren't plowing roads. Anyway, it was still beautiful and quiet, just what I was looking for. I'll add better pictures in the spring.

• National/State Park

Penn's Cave

by PA2AKgirl Written Mar 8, 2004

stalactites

Penns Cave is about 45 minutes west of Lewisburg, right around the Penn State/State College area. Unlike nearby Woodward Cave, it's a boat tour and open all year. The tour itself it about an hour, but if you get a tour guide like we had, he'll talk as long as you ask him anything. We learned about his photo hobby, how long he's been married, how long he's worked at the cave, how kids like to drink beer outside of the cave when it's closed, everything. In addition to this nonsense, we also learned great information about the cave itself. There are three large "rooms" in the cave and some smaller areas you have to pass through to get to them.
    Like I said, it's great this is open all year and don't worry about the temperature outside, it's always 52 degrees in the cave. At the lowest point, you are 100 feet underground. In the winter, there's LOTS of bats and some other little creatures like spiders, but nothing that will bother you. There's this place they call the "nursery" where about 100 female bats congregate...that was pretty cool to see, but I don't think my picture turned out all that well, unfortunately.

I'm going to create a travelogue of Penn's Cave because there's not just one picture that sums of the place.

Hours in the winter are 9-5, last tour at 4pm...and it's $11.25 a person. Definitely worth it...we had a great time.

Knoebles Grove Amusement Park

by PA2AKgirl Updated Feb 21, 2004

one of the newer rides

Fun, Food & Fantasy, it's a great, refreshing place to be for summertime. Knoebles, an amusement resort!

THIS used to be their theme song, and I'm sad it's not anymore. It was a good one. It's still a good place to go despite their questionable marketing decisions...free parking, free admission...pay as you go or get a handstamp. Also much cheaper than hershey park. They have some great rides too--one of the top 10 wooden rollercoasters called the phoenix. The salt and pepper shakers are a but questionable but we still go on them anyway--even when the doors open and you're facing death:) Good times!
    Seriously, this place is great b/c there's camping, a pool, kids stuff, miniature golf, good food places. Highly recommended by anyone from central PA, I am willing to bet.

It's about 1/2 hour from Lewisburg...directions on the website:)

• Theme Park Trips

Clyde Peeling's Reptiland

by PA2AKgirl Written Feb 8, 2004

This place is actually pretty cool--you get to hold pythons and stuff. There's lots of snakes, turtles, alligators, lizards and frogs--a good indoor exhibit, multimedia video, trivia and games for the off season and wonderful shows during warmer weather. And you get to watch the feedings, too. What's cooler than that? NOTHING!!!! (well, maybe some things are, but not at REPTILAND!)

Hey! I think this might be my first tip on this page that isn't completely sarcastic! I do, however, question the Subway (sandwiches) located at Reptiland. Never have I eaten there, but something that close to all these reptiles just makes me wonder.

Mr. Clyde Peeling is always on David Letterman, Conan O'Brian and Jay Leno and though I believe they think he's crazy, it's a decent place to visit, especially with kids that aren't freaked out by this sort of thing.

They are open every day but major holidays and it's located 10 miles north of Lewisburg on US rt. 15. A good combination would be if you were going to see a little league game up in Williamsport--just hit up Clydes before the game!

• Zoo

Instant Answers: Lewisburg

Comments

Lewisburg Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Lewisburg off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lewisburg sightseeing.