Lewisburg Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Lewisburg

Lots of History for a Small Town

by PA2AKgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Part of the Underground RR route

Like most places around the United States, Lewisburg is full of historical markers. Most of them are worth reading, too because there isn't much informaton online about the history of Lewisburg or Union County, PA . This particular marker talks about Lewisburg's involvement in the Underground Railroad. There was not very strong support in the area but Bucknell University had already been established, so a few people organized a "stop" along the route at a stable which is on Bucknell's property.

Other points of interest are the Pennsylvania Canal along the Susquehanna River and former Susquehannock Indian land, events and tragedies (like massacres), and buildings in the National Register of Historic Places

A few good websites do exist, such as the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and the site listed below called "Explore PA History"--an excellent database of events in PA searchable by region, timeline or keyword

I guess I was wrong...

by PA2AKgirl Written Oct 31, 2004
    Lewisburg's streetlamps

On my intro, I mentioned that Lewisburg isn't one of the great destinations of the world. Apparently it's significant in some ways, though because the whole borough just got placed on the National Historic Register. WOW! I've always accepted it as a pretty town and people do make comments about it being a nice place, but I never thought my little hometown would be known as of for something.

Here's part of the newspaper article I came across...

October 30, 2004
    By Eric Mayes
    The Daily Item
    The borough of Lewisburg has been placed on the National Historic Register.
    The designation as a historic district recognizes the borough for its significance as a center of commerce, education, politics & architecture.

"The district means, at the national level, the town of Lewisburg in its entirety is considered worth preserving," said Ken LeVan, chairman of the Historical Architectural Review Board.

"Miraculously most of the town is still here. On the whole, when somebody comes to Lewisburg their first reaction is ‘Oh my gosh this looks like a movie set’ and it could be a movie set."

Lewisburg is one of the best preserved 19th century communities in the U.S.

According to LeVan, the historic district contains 933 buildings or structures.
    "It’s almost like a textbook," said LeVan. "With one of almost every (architectural style) in town, you’ve got places in town that go from 1773 to 1953."

"We adopted all the regulations that would go with a national historic district," she said.

Both LeVan and Gray said Lewisburg is lucky to have be included on the register.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, huh...I stand corrected. I guess it is a place worth visiting on its own;-)

• Architecture

Local flavor

by PA2AKgirl Updated May 12, 2004

The farmers market in Lewisburg takes place every Wednesday and I definitely recommend it if you're in the area. In the summers, there's a lot more going on because there are some stands outside, but the winter is decent too. Local seasonal produce, Amish food (and lots of Amish people), meats, cheeses, chocolates, pies, etc. etc. There's also other stands selling clothing, jewelry, used books, plants/flowers, quilts and bulk items. It's a good market where you can get a taste of the local cooking and the local people. For a Wednesday afternoon, it gets surprisingly crowded--we usually just go on our lunch hour, but people hang out here all day.
    There's a covered bridge nearby too with lots of cute ducks that kids have fed since the beginning of time. I like that part best!

The Susquehanna Valley Visitors Bureau

by PA2AKgirl Updated Feb 8, 2004

Visitors Bureau

When you come into the area for the 1st time, you might want to stop at the SVB to get information about hotels, attractions and things of that nature. I am sure they can give you more information than I can since that's their job. I really should stop in there and get more tips...Anyway, they are open every day during the week days and seem like pretty helpful people.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo

Antiquers, this is for YOU!

by PA2AKgirl Written Jan 24, 2004

Roller Mills

ROLLER MILLS

I don't even know if that's a word. I know antiques and going antiquing, but what are those people who do that called? Well, you get my point, anyway...this place has antiques. Boy do they ever--they boast being "One of the largest antique malls in the all of America" and right here in my hometown, incredible. I'm not an antiquer myself, but I know people definitely are and if this is what sells my town to you, then my goals are achieved.

It has over 400 dealers and silly me, I thought that meant it was like antique roadshow where the place had a million people standing around. But no, it's just stuff...antique stuff at that. And it's definitely reasonably priced.
    Even the building is antique--it's a restored flour mill from the late 1800's.
    You NEED to see it to believe it:)

Instant Answers: Lewisburg

Comments

Lewisburg Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Lewisburg things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lewisburg sightseeing.